Home

NFL Owners Likely to Vote in Favor of Extending EA Sports Madden NFL Exclusive License

This is a discussion on NFL Owners Likely to Vote in Favor of Extending EA Sports Madden NFL Exclusive License within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #9
Pro

JBucc's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: NFL owners to vote on five-year extension with EA Sports

In reality it's probably never going to change until EA decides it's not worth it (which would mean sales would have to drop significantly), or someone can outbid them. The NFL is not going to open it up themselves.

It sucks though, that EA is locking others out of simulation NFL games while their most popular modes that they focus on are arcadey competitive modes. It really shouldn't be legal to lock out others with a contract that you aren't even fulfilling. But the definition of "simulation" is loose enough that they can get away with it.

Last edited by JBucc; 05-22-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #10
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0

Aaaand there goes any interest I had in the 2022 2K football game.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Have they ever announced what EA pays for the license and how it compares to what they were paying before they were exclusive? I’m assuming it has to be more than double what they were paying pre-exclusivity or NFL wouldn’t go for it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2020, 02:45 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Honeslty, I don't think you can even fault EA if they are willing to pay a lot more to continue exclusivity. If you have opportunity to shut out competition and control market, then that's what you do. NFL went in that long period of wanting brand exclusivity. With deal seemingly done, its up to owners to decide. And unless owners decide an open license is more beneficial, no reason for NFL to change it up just to give gamers multiple options. Main reasons for NFL to continue EA's deal is either they are satisfied with the way things are going or EA is willing to pay whatever for exclusive deal.
It hasn't been announced yet if EA extended their NBA deal like 2k did. I don't see EA(even with their deep pockets) signing a 7 yr 1.1 billion dollar deal for NBA License for a struggling Live franchise. That's the type of deal I expect for NFL to have EA sign for Madden
Old 05-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #13
Reignman Baby!

SonicBoom2040's Arena

OVR: 2

Lifeless sidelines? That's your gripe? Might as well sign that deal then. Sidelines could be trees for all most of us sim guys care.....what matters is in BETWEEN the sidelines.

Or am I over reacting ......
Old 05-22-2020, 03:13 PM   #14
Rookie

You can't expect NFL owners to care about the quality of NFL video games. My question is how did negotiations get this far? Isn't there some quality control part of the NFL's decision making here? Somewhere along the line, there should be someone who cares that EA's product suck.

Looks like EA is getting what they want. Disappointing result.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Honeslty, I don't think you can even fault EA if they are willing to pay a lot more to continue exclusivity.
I don’t fault EA for keeping control of the exclusive rights to simulation NFL football. I fault them for holding on on to the rights and not delivering nor innovating on simulation NFL football.

This is really disappointing news. I can only hope that EA steps up their game next gen or somebody else comes along and is able to deliver in the field of simulation and franchise mode but just outside of the NFL banner. Both equally unlikely.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2020, 04:11 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegroove7
You can't expect NFL owners to care about the quality of NFL video games. My question is how did negotiations get this far? Isn't there some quality control part of the NFL's decision making here? Somewhere along the line, there should be someone who cares that EA's product suck.

Looks like EA is getting what they want. Disappointing result.
how did negotiations get this far?
Point A:"EA Made Almost $1 Billion On Microtransactions Last Quarter".
B: Madden has been a top 10 selling game on the PS4 for every month since it released.
C: Profits >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>quality.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »