Home

Effective Play Action

This is a discussion on Effective Play Action within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2020, 02:05 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Effective Play Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant C1a55ic
I love PA, but its a struggle indeed. I can NEVER roll left, always results in the LT getting beat each and every time. I normally keep the tight end in for blocking, so its best to run it out of 3 wr set to give you options.
This is a good observation. I have a lot of 11 personnel in my current playbook so I’ll go over the play action options again. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Bootlegs are potentially deadly if you can get your opponent to back off the blitz.

If you want to use more PA I would really encourage lots of experimentation. Some of the PA animations are really slow, others not so much. Some are okay to cancel almost immediately. Others will leave your QB in a very awkward position if you try to do so.

If the run fake mimics a draw play don't bother; you're going to get lots of high snaps. I also hate the plays which mimic outside zone. I really only use plays with dive or inside zone "run action".

If the run fake mimics a dive play always have the QB perform the fake with their non-dominant hand (i.e. fake the run right for right handed QBs, etc). The animation completes so much faster. This is a good tip if you are actually running the ball, too. It's not necessary to always run dive to the side of your QBs dominant hand, but the exchange is completed much faster which can make a big difference.
That’s a really interesting observation! I’ve never noticed the difference in exchange times, or at least I’ve never attributed a difference to the dominant hand.

Some good tips here. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2020, 03:02 AM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
Line play is the reason that PA is broken. The safeties and CB's will fall for it, as intended, but the O Line doesn't block on play action at all.
Yeah play action is supposed to mimic the run play it's based off not just in the backfield but OL and even WR sometimes
Old 05-28-2020, 04:12 AM   #11
Rookie

If you have a 90+ speed receiver you can do a lot of damage with the following in the Giants Playbook

PA Draw Shot
PA Middle Shot

Both are good with Evan Engram as a vertical threat.

I put Shepard as an X receiver for Draw Shot as he finds separation and can make one handed catches.

For Middle Shot I put Shepard on the right and roll DJ to the left...normally if i escape the DE the LB stays static and the CB has already gone with the receiver...i then make sure my feet are planted and then hit Shepard as soon as he makes his cut and separation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2020, 05:43 AM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverley1986
If you have a 90+ speed receiver you can do a lot of damage with the following in the Giants Playbook

PA Draw Shot
PA Middle Shot

Both are good with Evan Engram as a vertical threat.

I put Shepard as an X receiver for Draw Shot as he finds separation and can make one handed catches.

For Middle Shot I put Shepard on the right and roll DJ to the left...normally if i escape the DE the LB stays static and the CB has already gone with the receiver...i then make sure my feet are planted and then hit Shepard as soon as he makes his cut and separation.
Nice, thanks!
Old 05-28-2020, 05:27 PM   #13
Rookie

I feel like you have a better chance with RPO than play action plays getting defense to bite

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2020, 05:35 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Bootlegs are potentially deadly if you can get your opponent to back off the blitz.

If you want to use more PA I would really encourage lots of experimentation. Some of the PA animations are really slow, others not so much. Some are okay to cancel almost immediately. Others will leave your QB in a very awkward position if you try to do so.

If the run fake mimics a draw play don't bother; you're going to get lots of high snaps. I also hate the plays which mimic outside zone. I really only use plays with dive or inside zone "run action".

If the run fake mimics a dive play always have the QB perform the fake with their non-dominant hand (i.e. fake the run right for right handed QBs, etc). The animation completes so much faster. This is a good tip if you are actually running the ball, too. It's not necessary to always run dive to the side of your QBs dominant hand, but the exchange is completed much faster which can make a big difference.
You are absolutely right.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 4

PA is broken from 2 aspects

1. the game doesnt have a separate timer for blocking on play action, hence why they get blown up so much because its using the standard pocket timer settings

2. the fake out chance for guys in zone is incredibly low and NOT based on "setting up" the PA based offf previous plays.. just a dice roll based off of ratings
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »