Home

NFL Owners Agree to Extend EA's Exclusive Rights Through 2025 Season

This is a discussion on NFL Owners Agree to Extend EA's Exclusive Rights Through 2025 Season within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 06-05-2020, 01:21 PM   #81
Scoreboard

Milticket's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: NFL Owners Agree to Extend EA's Exclusive Rights Through 2025 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
True, but we know that the NFL has demanded that EA remove late hits and concussions. One which is an actual penalty & the other an injury that effects teams and players (even their career prospects).

All in the hopes of helping "protect" the image of the sport. Kind of ridiculous.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation
Late hits are still in the game & the penalty is still there. I was thinking more in regards to Defensive holding. I posted to Clint it's almost false advertising having it listed in the penalty menu when it's not even functional (animations removed). Now the words have been removed entirely. Thats why I've said in another post the "simulation NFL license exclusivity" has to be very vague in the contract with EA if they can pick & choose what penalties they want to use.

Madden 20 - Modded (PC)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Xbox One)

Last edited by Milticket; 06-05-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #82
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milticket
Late hits are still in the game & the penalty is still there. I was thinking more in regards to Defensive holding. I posted to Clint it's almost false advertising having it listed in the penalty menu when it's not even functional (animations removed). Now the words have been removed entirely. Thats why I've said in another post the "simulation NFL license exclusivity" has to be very vague in the contract with EA if they can pick & choose what penalties they want to use.
My bad, then. I recall a while ago that the NFL mandated they remove the ability - it was a selling point for APF 2K8 - to hit someone after the whistle, once they are out of bounds or when the QB slides.

Do you know when it was re-introduced?

Also, to be fair VC has had a similar issue with implementing real life penalties (3 shot foul & block/charge calls) into the NBA 2K series. I'm not sure why but those three fouls I mentioned in parenthesis are nearly non-existent in NBA 2K.

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member
Old 06-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #83
Wasteland 3-Now Playing

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Eh. I do think the NFL cares about whether the game representing their brand is of a reasonable quality.

That said, I also think that by every metric the NFL and EA care about - boxed unit and digital sales, critical reviews, in-game transactions, user engagement, and user retention - both parties currently consider Madden to be at least good. I certainly don't think the NFL cares about the granular and detailed stuff enthusiast sites like OS pick Madden apart about.
This is the hardest thing for people to accept. Folks have conflated their personal dislike of Madden as a football game with the idea that NFL doesn't care if Madden is a "mediocre" or "bad" game.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #84
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
This is the hardest thing for people to accept. Folks have conflated their personal dislike of Madden as a football game with the idea that NFL doesn't care if Madden is a "mediocre" or "bad" game.
Of course they care. What they don't care is if it satisfies the niche, "hardcore" audience on a message board, reddit or YouTube like many in this thread.

That is clear through the renewal of their partnership and the language used in their press release.

Now, they also realize they need to start tapping into a younger demographic and player base.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #85
MVP

young22's Arena

OVR: 0

Sucks that EA will still be exclusive, but 2K football isn't the answer like people say every time this topic comes up. I used to play NBA 2K regularly, while it's true that the franchise mode is incredibly deep and customizable, the gameplay has never really been good, and for the past few years has lost the fun factor it used to have.

I'd much, MUCH rather see the people who make Super Mega Baseball make a football game.

Sent from my SM-A102W using Operation Sports mobile app

#SWARM - Reloaded

Last edited by young22; 06-08-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2020, 07:27 PM   #86
MVP

Number999's Arena

sigh

Sports games in general are going through a very depressing state right now.

Franchise Mode hasn't been king for a long time - but now more than ever it's all about pushing the Ultimate Team Cash Cow before governments wisen up in terms of cracking down with regulations. I fully expect Madden to continue to do nothing meaningful with Franchise Mode and rather push menial back-of-the-box gamemodes (cough LongShot cough) and continue to re-invest in the hundreds of millions of dollars "check out my neon green 97 OVR inter-galactic throwback QB Matt Hasselbeck everybody!!!!" that I, unfathomably, can't get is so popular (I mean, I do get it, it's kids, and kids are dumb)

People crap on NBA2k cuz of their micro-transactions but MyLeague is something glorious. If you gave Madden the equivalent of MyLeague, I'd never complain about Madden. I can tweak gameplay with sliders all day. But until we get that - football as a video game is going to continue to suffer for those who enjoy anything but MUT.
NHL - Florida Panthers
Soccer - Real Madrid

Crystal Palace ~ FIFA 18 Dynasty!
Old 06-08-2020, 07:40 PM   #87
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by young22
Sucks that EA will still be exclusive, but 2K football isn't the answer like people say every time this topic comes up. I used to play NBA 2K regularly, while it's true that the franchise mode is incredibly deep and customizable, the gameplay has never really been good, and for the past few years has lost the fun factor it used to have.

I'd much, MUCH rather see the people who make Super Mega Baseball make a football game.

Sent from my SM-A102W using Operation Sports mobile app
Clearly, you've never played the old NFL 2K series which is what people are/were basing their expectations on.

The gameplay from that series progressively improved from iteration to iteration. All-Pro Football 2K8, which was a spiritual successor to NFL 2K5, had good gameplay but was doomed because of shallow game modes, some "overpowered" legends and the customization was very restrictive.

The team that develops Super Mega Baseball likely wouldn't be the same team making a hypothetical football title.

Lastly, the idea that the NBA 2K series' gameplay "has never been good" is completely a subjective statement. I'll say no more than that to avoid an argument.

Last edited by J_Posse; 06-08-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:28 PM   #88
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number999
sigh

Sports games in general are going through a very depressing state right now.

Franchise Mode hasn't been king for a long time - but now more than ever it's all about pushing the Ultimate Team Cash Cow before governments wisen up in terms of cracking down with regulations. I fully expect Madden to continue to do nothing meaningful with Franchise Mode and rather push menial back-of-the-box gamemodes (cough LongShot cough) and continue to re-invest in the hundreds of millions of dollars "check out my neon green 97 OVR inter-galactic throwback QB Matt Hasselbeck everybody!!!!" that I, unfathomably, can't get is so popular (I mean, I do get it, it's kids, and kids are dumb)

People crap on NBA2k cuz of their micro-transactions but MyLeague is something glorious. If you gave Madden the equivalent of MyLeague, I'd never complain about Madden. I can tweak gameplay with sliders all day. But until we get that - football as a video game is going to continue to suffer for those who enjoy anything but MUT.
UT modes are pure evil unless your game's franchise mode has enough levers to pull then corporate greed suddenly ceases to be an issue!

I've asked this before and never gotten a response. Maybe you'll have something. If MUT is targeted at kids why are almost all of the high value players guys who suited up before either they, or in some cases their parents, were born?

Last edited by stinkubus; 06-08-2020 at 09:31 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »