Home

Owner Mode - Finances

This is a discussion on Owner Mode - Finances within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Owner Mode - Finances

Can anyone explain to me in Owner Mode where the value of the Player Salaries come into play as an expense?

I'm kind of confused, because to my understanding - When you sign a player at a Salary, it goes against the Cap..and their bonus goes against your funds (all at once (times the number of years)).

However, why am I weekly getting hit with a high Player Salary expense? And, how do you lower it?

I'm bleeding money in my Franchise lol! Please help
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2020, 11:46 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Owner Mode - Finances

Bumping this to the top still looking for an answer, if anyone knows! Thank you
Old 06-10-2020, 01:35 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickda55
I'm kind of confused, because to my understanding - When you sign a player at a Salary, it goes against the Cap..and their bonus goes against your funds (all at once (times the number of years)).
The way you worded it makes it sound like you think the cap is a pool of money separate from your funds and which is used to pay salaries. This is not accurate. The cap is just the total player expense (salary + amortized bonus) for your team allowed in a given season.

Both salary and bonus are expenses come out of your funds and both count against the cap as well. The differences are in the timing of the funds being deducted from your funds and the fact that bonus will generate cap penalties if you cut or trade the player before the end of the contract.

Here's a bit more detail:

Salary: 1/17th of the yearly amount will be deducted from your funds every regular season week as you pay your players. The annual amount counts against the cap. You are not liable to incur cap penalties for that amount if you cut or trade the player.

Bonus: This amount for the entire contract is deducted from your funds at signing. The average yearly value counts against your cap each year. If you cut or trade the player, the remaining portion of his bonus which has yet to be counted against the cap becomes a cap penalty on next season's cap.

For example if you give a 20 million dollar bonus on a 5 year contract at 17 million dollars per year salary, the 20 million comes out of your funds at signing and you will have a 1 million dollar expense per week in your funds to account for the salary. The contract counts 21 million dollars (17 million salary + 4 million per year bonus) against the cap each year.

So that contract will cost you 37 million dollars of funds the first year and 17 million for the four remaining years. The contract counts 21 million dollars (17 million salary + 4 million per year bonus) against the cap each year.

If you cut or trade the player after 3 years, You will have an 8 million dollar cap penalty on the next year's cap to account for the remaining 2 years worth of bonus that you paid up front but have yet to be applied to the cap.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by mercalnd; 06-10-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:33 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
The way you worded it makes it sound like you think the cap is a pool of money separate from your funds and which is used to pay salaries. This is not accurate. The cap is just the total player expense (salary + amortized bonus) for your team allowed in a given season.
That is exactly what I thought lol. But what still doesn't make sense to me, is I'm paying $188 million dollars total in salary for my players.

188m/17w = 11.06m (rounded)

However, my weekly salary expense is set at est. 7m per week.

Regardless, it sounds like I have to release some of these players that are high salaried (preferably with little to no cap penalty), and that should alleviate some of the expense. Is that correct?
Old 06-10-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickda55
That is exactly what I thought lol. But what still doesn't make sense to me, is I'm paying $188 million dollars total in salary for my players.

188m/17w = 11.06m (rounded)

However, my weekly salary expense is set at est. 7m per week.

Regardless, it sounds like I have to release some of these players that are high salaried (preferably with little to no cap penalty), and that should alleviate some of the expense. Is that correct?
I don't know which screen the 188m value comes from but could it also include the bonus money that counts againts the cap for the year?

But yes the way to lower expenses in season is to get rid of high salary players. You just have to be careful not to harm your cap space too much by getting rid of players who still have a high unamortized bonus value.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2020, 05:28 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
I don't know which screen the 188m value comes from but could it also include the bonus money that counts againts the cap for the year?

But yes the way to lower expenses in season is to get rid of high salary players. You just have to be careful not to harm your cap space too much by getting rid of players who still have a high unamortized bonus value.
The 188m came from the "Salaries" tab in the Roster menu.

Thank you for clarifying...guess I may be getting rid of my O-line for some draft picks lol. I just can't afford these players anymore!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »