Home

How Madden's Progression System in Franchise Mode Gets Things Entirely Backwards

This is a discussion on How Madden's Progression System in Franchise Mode Gets Things Entirely Backwards within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2020, 05:06 PM   #25
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: How Madden's Progression System in Franchise Mode Gets Things Entirely Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Who’d you speak to? Most things I’ve read from NFL coaches say it’s the SECOND training camp where most progression occurs, because the player is no longer spending mental energy on learning the ropes of being on a professional team, doesn’t come to camp late because of school (like west coast colleges used to end up forcing until the NFL rule change), they know the system, have been exposed to professional techniques, prior to being drafted they change their bodies to do well in the combine rather than football, they have an off-season to self-scout (you can’t really do that during the season), and by their second season they usually get a bit more grown man strength.

Regardless, it is definitely position dependent. RBs probably are at their peak year one or two; wrs 3 or 4; qbs 5 or 6.
Not at liberty to say, unfortunately.

I speculate if the difference of opinion between what you have read and what I was told might be because my guys were talking about any and all players who might get onto a 90-man training camp roster going down to 53, as opposed to players who actually make it onto regular season kickoff rosters and stick around. I can easily imagine that second offseason being particularly important for exactly the reasons you describe for the players who do make it that far.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2020, 07:20 PM   #26
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How Madden's Progression System in Franchise Mode Gets Things Entirely Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Not at liberty to say, unfortunately.

I speculate if the difference of opinion between what you have read and what I was told might be because my guys were talking about any and all players who might get onto a 90-man training camp roster going down to 53, as opposed to players who actually make it onto regular season kickoff rosters and stick around. I can easily imagine that second offseason being particularly important for exactly the reasons you describe for the players who do make it that far.
Good point. Clearly guys who don't make the 53 are not going to experience the same growth factors as guys who do.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:22 PM   #27
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Madden has always been bass-akwards in progression. They've always been stats driving progression instead of progression driving performance.

I have absolutely no faith at all that they will ever get something realistic.
I'd prefer it was automatic to an extent, based on coaches and assistant coaches, and player development trait or awareness (automatic in a sense that it happens automatically, but by choosing scheme and coaches you can influence what particular abilities increase the most, assuming they increase at all).
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #28
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

I would love for a game to have an under the hood rating system that drives gameplay and fluctuates based on training/work ethic/coaching, and a separate, observable rating system that fluctuate based on stats.

Use the observable system in franchise to show how player "ratings" can fluctuate wildly early in a players career, then steady as they play more and you get a bigger sample size of stats. While the underlying system would reflect actual talent and progression/regression on the traditional ratings that we have now.

This could easily replicate superstars that break out as rookies, guys that struggle in one system then succeed in a system more tailored to their strengths, free agents busts and booms, stronger vs weaker scouts/evaluators etc. and help replicate the percentage of error when it comes to player evaluation.

Every game I've played, you know exactly what a player is because the ratings are 100% accurate. It makes roster building fairly easy.

This would also help with contact structures in franchise. Instead of having a 68 OVR player that you dominate with sign cheap, they would get a contact commensurate with their stats rather than their underlying "talent".

For instance, I signed S Troy Apke in my online CFM and usered him to a 11 INT, DBOY season because he has 95 speed. I then signed him to a 1 year 950K contract because he's rated like 65 OVR. A system that has a franchise rating system based purely on stats and your team's scout eval would allow that player to have a more realistic (in terms of how a player would be valued after a season like that in real life) value in terms of the next contract.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games

Last edited by Jr.; 06-25-2020 at 08:00 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »