Home

Madden NFL 21 Gridiron Notes - Run Defense, Tackling Improvements, QB & Passing Improvements & Much More

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 21 Gridiron Notes - Run Defense, Tackling Improvements, QB & Passing Improvements & Much More within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2020, 08:05 AM   #17
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Madden NFL 21 Gridiron Notes - Run Defense, Tackling Improvements, QB & Passing I

Quote:
Simply put, stopping the running game in Madden 20 was too difficult for most
Really? I can't say I agree with this.

Unless this is EA's subtle way of acknowledge the ridiculous embarrassment that was the run-only offense winning the competitive championship?
Old 06-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #18
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 21 Gridiron Notes - Run Defense, Tackling Improvements, QB & Passing I

Sorry but all I hear is it will now be impossible to run the ball
Old 06-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #19
MVP

Good read, but I can't really understand why all these changes require a new developmental cycle to implement. These all sound like patch notes on steroids. Seems as if a lot of this could have been put in patches for Madden 20. Overall the patches we did get did not do much to affect the game.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #20
Rookie

Dblock1111's Arena

OVR: 1

I like being able to adjust the zone drop depth, but at the cost of it removing the matching logic from any zone on the field??

Definitely like being able to branch out at any point on drop backs and play-action. Tired of getting sacked before I even have control over the QB.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza

Unless this is EA's subtle way of acknowledge the ridiculous embarrassment that was the run-only offense winning the competitive championship?
I definitely think it’s a nod to the championship games. That’s not a good look for a sports game even if they don’t exactly pride themselves on putting out a product that is sim.

I’m not sure I agree that running the ball was too easy but it was definitely too unrealistic. Bump the RBK slider up and you go for 20 every other run. Pull it down and you can’t get past the LoS. Running the ball just didn’t feel organic in any way.

I’m definitely glad for some tweaks and am looking forward to seeing how it this plays this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza

Do you play H2H? Because your observations are not in line with the overwhelming majority of that community.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:39 AM   #23
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Wow. Not trying to get on the hype train or anything, but just about every one of these gameplay additions were all small things that were frustration points in 20. And, personally, I loved 20. Best madden to date from a gameplay perspective. I tweaked sliders just a little (tackle down to 33 to remove some big hits and fumbles up to 60-65 because of enforcers), but after finding some sweet spots, I never changed them even after tuning updates and patches. So, that was a positive. I’m in season 2030 with atl. I’ve really enjoyed 20, in general.

The main small frustration points for me were:
1. The qb release. I was all for the qb having a better pass rush and it offered a litttle more challenge to the game, but when you press the throw button, and then get hit while arm is in motion, u want to see those quick release throws and/or inaccurate passes. Passes into the ground, instead of always being a sack. So, from what they’re saying, it sounds like this has been tweaked or cleaned up and, in essence, they added some gameplay variety in terms of what your qb will do if about to get sacked and whether or not a decent or inaccurate throw will come off. Now, hopefully, they’re not all Ints, so as with anything in madden, u need to see it, but if it works well, this is a big upgrade, imo.

2. Controlling WR direction at the moment of truth. This is also huge. While it seems like a ‘small’ change, it’s huge. This was just a constant gripe of mine, and had plagued the game for years, of course, not just 20. So, again, if implemented correctly, this is great, and should provide a more dynamic amount of catch animations leading to more variety leading to more realistic gameplay. I want to have that extra bit of control to keep wr in bounds or push upfield even with a possession catch so that he’s going for the first down, which lead me to

3. I’m perfectly fine with them adding contextual awareness for first downs and the pylons based on player ratings. While, I’d love to flick the stick up or something for that extra yard or to extend my hand (with a small extra chance to fumble, maybe), I think this is a decent spot for ratings to dictate play. This last bit of effort can be the difference between an ‘aware’ player who always moves the chains, or for a defender who always makes that TD saving tackle. So, this is another good addition that will lead to more animations, again, leading to more realistic looking gameplay.

4. Stopping the run. While, the cpu was able to run on me, some, and again, this added to challenge factor, a lot of runs just didn’t feel properly defended. And, I think it does all start with the force defender setting the edge. So, we’ll see how this works out. I have concerns that the force defender will just go ‘too’ wide, possibly, allowing for huge cutback gains or turning upfield early. But, we’ll see. I like what they’re saying, here.

5. The break down tackles sound great, as well. And, there were a few in the gameplay video that looked solid. The one where Jackson tries to spin on the left side of the field, and a tackler just stood his ground and wrestled him to the ground. This looks great, imo. And, again, just looks more realistic.

One thing missing, imo, is just overall better zone coverage, I’d say. They’ve added the coach adjustments, but that looks a little tricky. I’m hoping for better overall zone coverage from all AI defenders. I’d like to see them react more to players running through their zone and understanding ‘THIS is the man I MUST worry about, and now I will guard him and never leave him.’ I’m talking mostly about deep routes there, but it can apply to certain players running underneath routes as well. So, hoping they made some tweaks there as well.

But, overall, man, I really like what I’m hearing in these improvements. It’s been rare to see madden address specific gameplay items in years past that were very specifically issues that plagued the game. So, looking forward to seeing it in motion. I was in the beta the last 2 years, so hoping I get another invite to see this game early and how some of these changes look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #24
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
New/improved blocking interactions with defenders disrupting running lanes by pushing blockers further into the backfield during engagements vs. all run types.
This little piece of information has gotten lost in the shuffle when discussing improvements to run defense. If they have finally gotten over the technical hurdles that have made them force defensive linemen to automatically always get pushed back at the LOS, then maybe great run stuffing dlinemen will finally be able to contribute in the game like they do in real life and inside running shouldn't be so automatic.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »