Home

Madden NFL 21 Gridiron Notes - Run Defense, Tackling Improvements, QB & Passing Improvements & Much More

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 21 Gridiron Notes - Run Defense, Tackling Improvements, QB & Passing Improvements & Much More within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2020, 11:31 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 21 Gridiron Notes - Run Defense, Tackling Improvements, QB & Passing I

Hopefully they also nerf the combo block that dives will sometimes execute (whether or not they'll attempt it depends on the defensive front deployed). Right now it's successful nearly 100% of the time and the G is almost always very fast in getting to the second level.

The combo blocks were nerfed this year for the plays which Madden called Inside Zone (Dives and other isos are also zone runs) and it toned down what had been the most over powered running plays in the game for several years running (the weak side Inside Zones out of Shotgun).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Madden NFL 21 Gridiron Notes - Run Defense, Tackling Improvements, QB & Passing I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
This little piece of information has gotten lost in the shuffle when discussing improvements to run defense. If they have finally gotten over the technical hurdles that have made them force defensive linemen to automatically always get pushed back at the LOS, then maybe great run stuffing dlinemen will finally be able to contribute in the game like they do in real life and inside running shouldn't be so automatic.
Good stuff. I even overlooked this, and I've been saying the running game has been OP since even when we were still getting NCAA releases because the OL always got significant push at the line. Dive plays always were guaranteed gains unless a guy went unblocked into the backfield.

Even when messing with the modding scene on PC, I never could completely slow the OL down. I lowered their run blocking curve tremendously, I increased the cycles for reach tackling which boosted the DL play, but nothing could completely fix it. If EA has fixed it, then that's a huge deal gameplay-wise for me. You can tune the passing game already with mods to get it playing real well. The running game had zero hope to ever reach the same level

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 06-27-2020 at 01:36 PM. Reason: I can't spell on phone
Old 06-27-2020, 01:31 PM   #27
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

If the issues of the DL have been rectified, that would be great news. Hopefully no more automatic 2 yard push by the OL. Value in adding DL to teams. Will we see the emergence of true 3-4 NTs? Will the 4-3 base be of similar value and a viable option as the 3-4 in M20?

Will the OL actually benefit or fail based on the quality of their linemen? In previous Madden games it seemed like anyone could create a run and pass attack regardless of the quality of the OL players; there was always that 2 yard push. Hope M21 takes steps to make OL/DL player quality important.

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 06-27-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:07 PM   #28
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

"...These penalties will be used in both Competitive and Simulation game styles and will be called primarily on user-controlled defenders..."

WHY!!!???
Old 06-28-2020, 02:11 PM   #29
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21
"...These penalties will be used in both Competitive and Simulation game styles and will be called primarily on user-controlled defenders..."

WHY!!!???
Because users will intentionally bump receivers to slow them down and throw them off their routes.

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Old 06-28-2020, 02:55 PM   #30
MVP

MajorSupreme's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
Because users will intentionally bump receivers to slow them down and throw them off their routes.
I'm a bit more concerned about if the CPU will ever commit some of these penalties. Hell, I feel like I've been screwed over plenty by a LB in the way of a dig route that wasn't called for PI despite physically moving the receiver off the route.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:48 PM   #31
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSupreme
I'm a bit more concerned about if the CPU will ever commit some of these penalties. Hell, I feel like I've been screwed over plenty by a LB in the way of a dig route that wasn't called for PI despite physically moving the receiver off the route.
LBs; I’ve had cpu DBs block and knock my WR on routes @ or past 10 yards, a lot of times. Seems certain coverages are prone to such glitches. I need to look up which one specifically has been a continuous issue; some thing of a cover 3 SS blitz
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #32
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSupreme
There's no if about it. Allowing down field contact is a crutch for their pass coverage AI. Guys who are crossing the field will get immediately bumped when you try to throw it to them in tight windows. Happens way too often not to be deliberate.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »