Home

OS Roundtable: #FixMaddenFranchise and Reaction to Face of Franchise Improvements in Madden 21

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: #FixMaddenFranchise and Reaction to Face of Franchise Improvements in Madden 21 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2020, 04:57 AM   #49
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: OS Roundtable: #FixMaddenFranchise and Reaction to Face of Franchise Improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyjr
One thing I have never understood is why sports games don’t sell franchise mode as DLC. I see tons of arguments that EA doesn’t care about franchise because MUT is their money-maker. I would gladly buy the base game and spend another $20 for a detailed, immersive franchise mode DLC if there was some actual developer effort put into it. I’m betting most people on this thread would gladly hand over $20 for that too.
One thing I had always hoped to see was "Head Coach 21" sold as an expansion game that interfaces with the Madden engine (but if you weren't interested in playing on field then the Head Coach standalone game works as a stat simulator).
Old 07-03-2020, 09:20 AM   #50
Pro

Devaster's Arena

Re: OS Roundtable: #FixMaddenFranchise and Reaction to Face of Franchise Improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
The world has not changed, EA has. Businesses in and out of this industry still use their money makers to prop up their other products and services. EA makes more money than ever before thanks to MUT and Madden Mobile. Franchise isn't being ignored because it isn't financially viable for them to put resources into the mode. It's simply being ignored and there is nothing more to it.

I get where you are coming from, but I think you're speaking out of desperation for any updates right now. EA has the resources to continually update the mode. They do not need to put the updates behind a paywall. The world has not changed in that regard like you alluded to. 2k can is able to use their MyTeam money and continually update Franchise. The Show with its fraction of the resources Madden has sees franchise still receive more updates. All good companies will support their products, they will use their cash cows to finance keeping their other products afloat. If the world had changed then these other companies wouldn't be able to update their modes. If the world had changed then Unreal doesn't use their Fortnite money to make MegaScans free for all users. The world hasn't changed to the point where Franchise updates need to be DLC.

Not going to respond to all of this, but the world has changed. And changed significantly. Game genres come and go. Game modes come and go. E-Sports are incredibly popular and a real career now. Content creators are real careers as well.

Franchise is a core mode for many of us that have been playing for 15+ years, but that doesn't mean it would continue to be a core mode for the game developers to continue focusing on.

I'd gladly fork over extra money if it meant the only mode I play, franchise, received real attention and development during the yearly cycle.

I don't know how popular franchise mode really is though. I watch a few Youtubers that run franchises regularly every year and enjoy the content. But when it comes to popularity it would be the MUT and H2H e-athletes and content creators that generate the most traffic.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #51
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

The popularity of modes other than franchise has changed. The world has not. Yes, genres and games come and go as they always have. All other sports games continue develop their UT style modes, but find in themselves to still reinvest into their franchise modes.

2k created a cash cow in MyPlayer and MyTeam. MyPlayer is insanely popular. 2k still uses the money they get from that and other MTX(micro transactions) to constantly improve the offline and singleplayer experiences.

MLB The Show implemented Diamond Dynasty and makes so much more money from the mode. They're small team still has the ability to update DD, yet still put resources into the offline experience so that it doesn't feel ignored.

Out of the Park put in Perfect Team. It's increased their revenues and profits a healthy amount. They've still found it in themselves to not only continously support PT, but to continuously improve what is arguably the best franchise mode in any sports game ever. They've been able to take their newfound money stream and use it to make more changes to Franchise mode in the last 3 years than Madden has in the last 9 since we saw Connected Careers replace Franchise.

When looking away from sports games only, games all over are bringing in cash from MTX-heavy modes and are reinvesting into their core gameplay. GTA Online prints Rockstar money. That money allowed them to not only provide free updates to Online mutliple times a year every year since release, but it allowed them to put as many resources and time into the creation of Red Dead II.

Fortnite prints even more money. Unreal has used that money to reinvest into their engine and games. They've made so many tools and resources free for developers now that used to cost a pretty penny. They've completely changed their royalty policy for the better because of Fortnite's money printing ability.

I could continue on and on. The point I'm making is that the world hasn't changed. It is still the norm and smart business to take your moneymakers and reinvest into your products. EA has no excuse to not improve franchise mode. They make more money now than ever. Updating the mode has not become impossible. They simply have chosen to ignore the mode and that's really the end of it. They have more than enough resources to support MUT, to build up Face of the Franchise, and to build a robust franchise mode. In fact, MUT and Madden Mobile has given them more resources to make this more viable than ever before.

In a way, you are right in the end. The world has changed. Modes like MUT have become very popular. Madden Mobile and mobile gaming as a whole makes a ridiculous amount of money. Things have changed and EA has more resources than ever before to improve their offline experiences, but they simply choose not to while the rest of the industry does the opposite.

The idea that franchise doesn't get updated because EA can't afford to allocate the resources to do so is silly. The idea that in order to update the mode we would not only need to pay the base $60, but then another $20 or $30 to make it viable for EA is just a farse. EA has more resources now than ever before to create the best franchise mode ever, they simply choose not to. That's it.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2020, 09:22 PM   #52
Rookie

}#FixMaddenH2H They need to fix their game! We’ve been asking themto fix the online H2H ranking and stats problems for YEARS! And also put
injuries, weather, the ability to challenge plays, and realistic penalties back into online H2H like they used to be.
}https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Report.../false/page/11

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Madden-NFL...071427/page/52

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »