Home

Is Gameplay or Franchise more important to you?

This is a discussion on Is Gameplay or Franchise more important to you? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2020, 09:12 AM   #57
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is Gameplay or Franchise more important to you?

Its franchise for me. I routinely went 8 to 10 seasons in franchise mode back during the OG Xbox and PS2 days. The on field gameplay is significantly better now and it's not even close, but they all feel like play now games and I lose interest quick. There really isnt much outside of the games to immerse me into the league.

It's made worse by the fact that I cant do my own world building by jumping into other games going on. I may be rebuilding the Raiders but I might want to play or watch Brady's return to New England; or play Kyler Murray vs Baker Mayfield. I cant do that without creating a coach and all this other stuff. Its little things. But Madden has shown that for whatever reason it ain't happening with franchise mode.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #58
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I agree.

If game play isn't good, it doesnt matter how good Franchise is. But it goes hand in hand. Good game play will get me in the door, but a good Franchise will keep me around. I think of APF2k8. I can revisit that game from time to time and even get in a season just for gameplay alone. But without a Franchise, I can't playing it for a sustained time.

I agree that AI needs overhaul. That is the main thing I want to see improved for every game next gen. From on field Game play to CPU AI team building, AI needs an overhaul.
If the AI simply took a step forward on and off the field then I could probably find it in myself to give franchise mode some more burn. I could live with the lack of franchise depth for another year if the AI started to act dynamically and not every game felt the same. There are minor differences game to game, but the AI doesn't really have the ability to identify their strengths and weaknesses, my strengths and weaknesses, and then gameplan around that.

No matter how your team stacks up against the CPU's, they will try and play you the same way and that gets stale quickly. They don't recognize you have a star DE and use TEs and backs to aid in protection. They don't realize your safety play is weak and test them often. Those types of details are what can make the game to a whole new level.

I finally got APF 2K8 running on my PC yesterday and got a quick Play Now game in and saw those small details again in a football game and it still blows me away. I had Reggie White on my line getting a lot of pressure on the first drive of the game. You know what the AI did? They go inside of my territory and went hurry up out of the blue, wore down White and the Fridge on my line, then huddled up, I had to sub for them, and they went right at my DL on the ground. Ultimately my defense held up at the goal line to force a FG, but that was amazing to see.

Then as the game went on they practically chipped White every play at the least and often doubled him with a TE or back. He became a nonfactor for a bit as I was slow to adjust. I started bring pressure from the other side of the line with blitzes and I started to get pressure more often. The AI adjust again, keeping a back in pass protection nearly all game, chipping White, and using more quick hitting passes than before. I felt like I was playing an opponent with a brain that knew football. That's a big reason why 2k8 remains my #1 game on the field.

If Madden played like that, I'd be pumping hundreds of hours into it annually. Couple that with a good franchise mode and I'd be EA's biggest fan.

― Plato
Old 07-07-2020, 10:15 AM   #59
MVP

OVR: 15

Madden gameplay is good enough for me. There's still legacy issues with blocking and other issues, but overall if I had a better franchise mode I could enjoy playing it for extended periods of time with good sliders.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #60
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
If the AI simply took a step forward on and off the field then I could probably find it in myself to give franchise mode some more burn. I could live with the lack of franchise depth for another year if the AI started to act dynamically and not every game felt the same. There are minor differences game to game, but the AI doesn't really have the ability to identify their strengths and weaknesses, my strengths and weaknesses, and then gameplan around that.

No matter how your team stacks up against the CPU's, they will try and play you the same way and that gets stale quickly. They don't recognize you have a star DE and use TEs and backs to aid in protection. They don't realize your safety play is weak and test them often. Those types of details are what can make the game to a whole new level.

I finally got APF 2K8 running on my PC yesterday and got a quick Play Now game in and saw those small details again in a football game and it still blows me away. I had Reggie White on my line getting a lot of pressure on the first drive of the game. You know what the AI did? They go inside of my territory and went hurry up out of the blue, wore down White and the Fridge on my line, then huddled up, I had to sub for them, and they went right at my DL on the ground. Ultimately my defense held up at the goal line to force a FG, but that was amazing to see.

Then as the game went on they practically chipped White every play at the least and often doubled him with a TE or back. He became a nonfactor for a bit as I was slow to adjust. I started bring pressure from the other side of the line with blitzes and I started to get pressure more often. The AI adjust again, keeping a back in pass protection nearly all game, chipping White, and using more quick hitting passes than before. I felt like I was playing an opponent with a brain that knew football. That's a big reason why 2k8 remains my #1 game on the field.

If Madden played like that, I'd be pumping hundreds of hours into it annually. Couple that with a good franchise mode and I'd be EA's biggest fan.
Bingo. Madden gameplay is what kills franchise the most. The AI is programmed terribly. They dont adjust,they dont have concept of time and score and they never exploit a good matchup. All these people saying the gameplay is good enough must be mostly online players because theres no way u can think the AI is where its suppose to be. Can we talk about that u still cant throw a fade route in 2021? Lol u could in 2008 with 2k. The pursuit angles on defense is still better in a 2008 game than it is in 2021. Not good enough
Old 07-07-2020, 10:43 AM   #61
Pro

I know I am late to this thread but at this point, I don't think I should have to choose between gameplay and franchise. They had plenty of time to provide drastic improvements in both areas.

I do not know where EA gets their information from by the keep wasting time on stuff that no one asked for. For 10 years we asked for a physics based system and EA says "ok... enjoy our reporter in owner mode."

We asked for ratings to have a bigger impact in the game and EA replies "ok... now enjoy story mode."

They just insist on doing what they want.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #62
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hshaw810
Bingo. Madden gameplay is what kills franchise the most. The AI is programmed terribly. They dont adjust,they dont have concept of time and score and they never exploit a good matchup. All these people saying the gameplay is good enough must be mostly online players because theres no way u can think the AI is where its suppose to be. Can we talk about that u still cant throw a fade route in 2021? Lol u could in 2008 with 2k. The pursuit angles on defense is still better in a 2008 game than it is in 2021. Not good enough
I'm guilty of saying the gameplay is good enough. I don't want to speak for others that say it too, but when I say it, I mean the general mechanics are good enough, the locomotion is good enough, etc. Its all good enough that with a deep franchise mode I could be satisfied. There is a ton that can be added or fixed on the field that could make the gameplay reach higher levels. Pass trajectories and the passing game overall are two major things. The coverage also needs entry of help, as does blocking. Seems like I just named practically everything non special teams, which it all does need work, but it is of quality that I can live with if we had a robust franchise mode. It definitely isn't close to be on the level of 2k8 in many regards, though, that is definitely true for me.

― Plato
Old 07-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #63
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21

I agree.

I feel with strong AI improvements throughout the game, would make a huge difference. Madden just feels so simplistic and scripted and that's mainly on the poor AI. I get wanting the game to be "Pick up and Play" friendly. But Football is a very complex sport and Madden doesn't play like that. APF is still #1 for me also. Without going off topic and using their AI as a reference, Blocking AI and pursuit angles is still superior. I can see a CPU-generic DB naturally break off from his responsibility and break up a pass/INT without the warping, shifting, 2-Man Animations, and actually look for ball.

I feel just overhauling AI would go a long way in improving all aspects of Madden. Like not seeing CPU Safeties backing up 10 yards to cover deep when I'm running Curl flats just because that's their responsibility. Or seeing CPU teams overdraft on a position because a player fits scheme
Old 07-07-2020, 11:57 AM   #64
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1

As important as franchise mode is to me gameplay is even more important. Even if they somehow were able to get ALL of the top community requested features in to franchise mode AND they worked correctly (which is a valid concern when it comes to EA implementing new features) I still wouldn't get much enjoyment from the mode if the gameplay on the field was terrible. That said the last few years I have been putting less and less time in to solo franchises because of the CPU and how it plays. Everything gets so predictable and feels so scripted and eventually most teams just feel like they play the same. I used to run in my online 32 user franchise AND keep a solo franchise or two going where I would easily make it 8-10 seasons in if not more. Madden 20 I think the furthest I made it in to a solo franchise was 4 seasons, I just couldn't do it anymore. Between the on field gameplay vs the CPU and some of the glaring flaws in the a.i. team building logic I couldn't get in to it like I usually do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »