Home

EA, if you could monetize “Classic Franchise”, would you build it?

This is a discussion on EA, if you could monetize “Classic Franchise”, would you build it? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2020, 12:48 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 32
EA, if you could monetize “Classic Franchise”, would you build it?

I’m not against EA making billions or the success of Ultimate Team. -- My frustration/pain comes from a lack of progress and irrefutable deterioration of the “Classic” Franchise Mode. Madden 21 “FixMaddenFranchise” hashtag trending on twitter as there was greater depth/immersion in Madden on PS2 than what's scheduled to release on PS5 this fall.

My question is, what do we need to do to be heard and more importantly see progress? My assumption is incremental revenue is more likely in other modes, but would you build a better franchise mode if you could monetize it? -- Here are a few ways to drive incremental revenue while offering the franchise community some of their most popular feature requests. I'll gladly help fund progress.

Brainstorming ways for EA to take my money, in Franchise mode.
In Game Franchise Mode Content: It’s about adding value, and most importantly - a choice.

Virtual Currency (VC):
  • Allow players to earn VC by reaching objectives or achievements by simply playing the game while allowing others to purchase VC if they choose.
  • VC would be awarded similar to how players earn/use Experience Points (XP) to unlock content throughout a full franchise mode providing new content/awards/gear to keep the experience fresh.

Create a Team: Madden created teams are lacking creativity as they haven’t changed in years, and are painfully limited. A major regression from the Team Builder in NCAA 12 or the Stadium Editor feature in Madden 04.
  • Allow players to have greater flexibility over relocation cities, team names, and the ability to design uniforms.
  • Team Logos could be purchased/unlocked with VC, and additional team logos could be added throughout the year. Players could use VC to add additional alternate uniforms, upgrade stadiums, etc.
  • In NCAA Football 14, I bought nearly all of the uniform DLC for $1 if I remember correctly. There are a lot of jersey combinations that aren’t in the game that many would buy or play to unlock.
  • Option to create a uniform within Franchise Mode limited to approved team colors and logos (current + historic).

Player Tattoos: EA has been hesitant to go all in on player tattoos which is understandable, but hopefully this changes as the recent rulings have significantly lowered the legal risk.
  • Player customization is embraced by all sports gamers from gear to tattoos. Allow players to use VC to unlock/purchase Tattoos for our created players.
  • Let me spend some of my hard earned XP or VC on a tattoo sleeve!

Apparel & Accessories: Perhaps Jim Harbaugh’s Lululemon Khakis? An easy partnership with Apparel Retailers who are looking to find and connect with a younger male audience.
  • NBA 2k partnered with Express for in game clothing/suit options as well as a lot of other brands which have been really well received.
  • Express or Lululemon sponsored Khaki upgrades would be a great win for all parties while improving a much needed overhaul to the stale apparel options that have remained unchanged for years.
  • I’d love to see customized cleats and gear (DJ Metcalf style mouthpiece?) added as well as using similar apparel options for off the field situations like news conferences with decisions that had significant impacts on your franchise/team.

Network Sponsorships:
  • Partnership with a network or streaming partnership to be included on the in game scoreboard and host certain Madden events. (YouTube TV, Twitch, ESPN, CBS, etc)
  • Would be relevant across the entire game, and would help change up immersion with different network logos within the scoreboard for different situations/games.

Dynamic Ads:
  • Create in game stadium ad placements that appear and feel authentic. AT&T Stadium is full of ads, but it adds to the overall experience within the stadium, similar to Heinz Field.
  • There are plenty of screens to add dynamic ad units within the stadium. When this is added, perhaps we can get dynamic Super Bowl banners within our franchise dynasties.
  • Don’t implement unskippable 30s video ads, that will piss everyone off.

Sponsorships:
  • From Allstate’s college field goal net to the Verizon Halftime Show, corporate sponsors are fully integrated with major sports.
  • Why not create a digital ad placement where player of the year/game awards are presented by a sponsored company that can be changed dynamically?
  • Ideally, smaller sponsors would change every year or so within the Franchise which would mix up the in game experience and feel. “Official Player of the Game Sponsor” could change from Snickers to Pepsi in year 2 for example.

Interested in everyone's thoughts, what improvements would be worth a few extra dollars?

EA, if you could monetize “Classic Franchise”, would you build it? Asking for a few friends.

Las Vegas Raiders | Atlanta Braves | NCAA Football
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2020, 09:54 AM   #2
2022 Clark Cup Champions!

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: EA, if you could monetize “Classic Franchise”, would you build it?

Issue is, they have always said that franchise is played the least. Of course I dont believe that, but they would say why go to great lengths to do all of this, when "no one plays it?"
MLB - Toronto Blue Jays 56-45
NHL - Colorado Avalanche 2022 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS
United States Hockey League - Sioux City Musketeers
2022 Clark Cup Champions
Old 07-10-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 0

This is such a slippery slope.

I worry that EA would go overboard. Micro transactions are supposed to be added bonuses. But EA would make it so that the micro transactions get you stuff that should already be there. In other words, you wouldn't be able to move forward without the micros. They would give you 100 scouting points but if you want more, gotta pay. They start franchise off with over inflated salary cap and make it so that you cannot move forward without clearing them but you gotta pay.

I feel like stuff like tattoos and gloves if y'all wanna pay for that nonsense, go ahead but EA would take away important stuff to sell to you later.

I'm not cool with that.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:26 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant C1a55ic
Issue is, they have always said that franchise is played the least. Of course I dont believe that, but they would say why go to great lengths to do all of this, when "no one plays it?"
Where have have you seen this? When Rex was still working at EA he said franchise was the most played mode and in 2018 the mode had record numbers.

― Plato
Old 07-10-2020, 10:33 AM   #5
Pro

Sparkles's Arena

OVR: 6

Plz no pay to win methods with VC... that’s gonna get so much pushback
NHL New Jersey Devils
EPL Manchester United
NCAA FB Pittsburgh Panthers
NCAA BB Pittsburgh Panthers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 32

It would be interesting to see their comparison of time played in modes, but it's probably skewed by how they'd define it.

Definitely a slippery slope, I don't want basic things behind microtransactions either. Probably horrible execution, but what could be worse than no updates for the next decade.

Las Vegas Raiders | Atlanta Braves | NCAA Football
Old 07-10-2020, 10:53 AM   #7
MVP

saintrules's Arena

Kinda missing the fact that MUT is user vs user and that's why it's so addicting with VC...95% of us would never use VC to upgrade something that's user vs CPU
Old 07-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #8
Rookie

cwoods22's Arena

I understand the sentiment here, we all want Franchise mode to "improve" (read: give us back what was already in the mode 15 years ago). But I can't see this as the way to go about it. EA has lost all trust with how they monetize their games, sports titles or not.

If anything, EA should release MUT as a stand alone free-to-play option b/c they make so much profit from selling packs, similar to how Fortnite, Valorant, and other F2P games make money from selling cosmetics. and the $60/$70 version should then include a proper Franchise mode, FOF, tournament mode, etc...

Removing the $60 barrier to entry would allow more casuals (NFL/EA target audience) to access their game while also providing those of us who want a proper Franchise mode a way to support the game wihtout invasive microtransactions.

Last edited by cwoods22; 07-10-2020 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Edit: added clarification

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »