Home

EA to remove retired Washington team name from Madden 21 with launch-day title update

This is a discussion on EA to remove retired Washington team name from Madden 21 with launch-day title update within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What to do with Washington?
no logo / team name (i.e. "Washington") The results are hidden 0%
use a placeholder logo / team name until the team announces a new one The results are hidden 0%
keep the existing logo / team name in the game until the team announces a new one The results are hidden 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 11:02 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Washington

If you remember back to NBA Live 09, the Sonics had left Seattle which resulted in OKC having generic uniforms and logo until a Thunder DLC pack was released shortly after the game came out. They even included updated commentary for the new team. EA has at least been in a similar situation before.

We know of Madden’s ability to expand on commentary throughout the season, as this was a feature last year. However, I would be slightly concerned with the COVID-19 situation taking place.

Old 07-17-2020, 04:49 PM   #18
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

It appears EA has decided to scrub Washington's old mascot from the game: https://kotaku.com/ea-will-remove-re...den-1844422427
Old 07-17-2020, 06:10 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
It appears EA has decided to scrub Washington's old mascot from the game: https://kotaku.com/ea-will-remove-re...den-1844422427
At least they covered themselves this time saying players will continue to see Redskins references throughout the game, but they will be working to remove all they can in subsequent updates. Seems getting caught in the past in Madden and NBA Live/Elite/Whatever with forgetting to remove old logos, like the practice field still having the name of the Madden from 3 years ago on it, has made EA put in a little extra effort... at least with their words. I'm sure some Redskins references will remain in the game all year.

Also, it's slightly off topic with regards to Madden, but speaking of art assets and EA making goofs. Remember the NCAA 14 release where half the teams in the game had gray facemasks and EA patched it saying they corrected the "glitch"? Thanks to the PS3 emulator and the work the modding team has put in with NCAA 14, after digging through the base game's files it turns out there was no glitch, EA literally forgot to add color parameters to half the facemasks in the game. That's a pretty big and laughable mistake to make from a company with so many resources, but it comes as no surprise if you are familiar with EA Sports titles.

― Plato
Old 07-17-2020, 06:16 PM   #20
Rookie

PunkMonk's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteele14
I saw that. Very annoying that he did that but could pay off. I saw that you have to prove that your trademark is real and actually sell something with the trademark. Apparently he spent $200k to validate the trademark request.

The selfish part of me hopes his idea crashes and burns so there is no extra delay and the most accepted name can be use

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The "Washington" football team should be in a position to offer the owner of the trademark financial compensation if they really want the name. Whether that be a one time thing or for x amount of years or whatever. That's just business. I couldn't imagine, actually I can, some big corporation bullying a smaller business or entrepreneur with some bs legalities. On the flip side.. it's 2020.. there's a million creatives out their to put together a new name and branding package. The name should've been changed a long time ago, but its also not the end of the world and understandable if its not overhauled on the launch day of a video game.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:12 PM   #21
MVP

Brooke2011's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA to remove retired Washington team name from Madden 21 with launch-day title up

I would say just keep it. Too bad it has to change at all. It was one of my favorite logos and uniforms in football. Way to ruin history !
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2020, 07:27 PM   #22
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: EA to remove retired Washington team name from Madden 21 with launch-day title up

Good job EA.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:41 PM   #23
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

I mean you’d think they would wait until the new name / logo is announced. What are they going to do if it doesn’t happen until next season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 07-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #24

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
I mean you’d think they would wait until the new name / logo is announced. What are they going to do if it doesn’t happen until next season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The same thing everyone else will be doing and stop using the name Redskins?

I mean, it's not like announcers on TV are going to continue to use the name until a new one is chosen and the apparel and logo has pretty much been removed from everything possible already.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »