Home

EA to remove retired Washington team name from Madden 21 with launch-day title update

This is a discussion on EA to remove retired Washington team name from Madden 21 with launch-day title update within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What to do with Washington?
no logo / team name (i.e. "Washington") The results are hidden 0%
use a placeholder logo / team name until the team announces a new one The results are hidden 0%
keep the existing logo / team name in the game until the team announces a new one The results are hidden 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 10:04 PM   #25
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkMonk
The "Washington" football team should be in a position to offer the owner of the trademark financial compensation if they really want the name. Whether that be a one time thing or for x amount of years or whatever. That's just business. I couldn't imagine, actually I can, some big corporation bullying a smaller business or entrepreneur with some bs legalities. On the flip side.. it's 2020.. there's a million creatives out their to put together a new name and branding package. The name should've been changed a long time ago, but its also not the end of the world and understandable if its not overhauled on the launch day of a video game.
The guy that trademarked those names was interviewed and he's already contacted the organization offering the name for free if they want to use his trademark.

He said the trademark thing is a hobby he started a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2020, 11:33 PM   #26
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA to remove retired Washington team name from Madden 21 with launch-day title up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke2011
I would say just keep it. Too bad it has to change at all. It was one of my favorite logos and uniforms in football. Way to ruin history !
My mother is a life-long Washington fan... as was I until the Panthers were formed and I jumped ship to my hometown team. But my mother remains a Washington fan to this day.

She got to see the Superbowls they won w/ Joe Gibbs. She watched players such as Joe Theismann, Art Monk, Doug Williams, and Darrell Green play. She has a shoebox filled w/ a photo of Theismann and old newspaper clippings of the team, among other things.

Even though I became a Panthers fan in '95, I still semi-pulled for Washington as my secondary team and got to watch players such as Champ Bailey, Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley, and the late Sean Taylor (my favorite Washington player of all time). The lone Washington jersey I have in my closet is a Santana Moss jersey she got me for my birthday one year.

Team names and logos change all the time (albeit more so in the past than today), but those players still played. My mom's newspaper clippings and photo of Theismann are still in that shoebox. My Santana Moss jersey is still hanging in my closet.

Most importantly, the memories my mother has watching them her entire life are still there. And absolutely nothing about those facts and the organizations history is being ruined and / or erased by simply changing the name and logo.

Last edited by bigd51; 07-17-2020 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:08 PM   #27
Rookie

PunkMonk's Arena

Re: EA to remove retired Washington team name from Madden 21 with launch-day title up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke2011
I would say just keep it. Too bad it has to change at all. It was one of my favorite logos and uniforms in football. Way to ruin history !
Too bad? Your preference of a football teams colors or logo supersede racism and the elimination of approximately 90% of an entire race of people? Talk about ignorant as f---! History isn't being ruined or destroyed, no man or name can undo what has been done, but we sure as hell don't have to celebrate or parade it around as a logo or something that European American people should be proud of. I love this day and age of civilized barbarism.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #28

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Let's not go there please in this thread.

There are threads in the NFL forum where it's been talked about and can be talked about. Please don't bring it into the video game portion of the forums here.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #29
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3

I wonder how this will impact the availability of throwback uniforms for the Washington franchise in the game.

I'm excited to hear the new name and logos. To all those Washington fans, your team has a very proud history and I'm sure some of you are very upset to see the logos and uniforms you loved go away.

But, the world is changing too. This is a new era of football in Washington as well with Scary Terry McLaurin and Derrius Guice and Dwayne Haskins leading the way.

The new logos and uniforms paired with good football will hopefully bring more pride to Washington (Redtails, Redwolves, Warriors?) and some fun Madden experiences too.

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Old 07-18-2020, 03:09 PM   #30
Rookie

f1sh1000's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Too bad? Your preference of a football teams colors or logo supersede racism and the elimination of approximately 90% of an entire race of people? Talk about ignorant as f---! History isn't being ruined or destroyed, no man or name can undo what has been done, but we sure as hell don't have to celebrate or parade it around as a logo or something that European American people should be proud of. I love this day and age of civilized barbarism.
Go ahead and give back your land to a Native American. Set the example
Old 07-18-2020, 08:47 PM   #31
Rookie

PunkMonk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1sh1000
I'm not European or "American"... Not my issue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2020, 09:29 PM   #32
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1sh1000
Quote:
I'm not European or "American"... Not my issue.
Both of you need to drop this line of conversation as Kehlis indicated.

Thank you for your cooperation going forward.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »