Home

Madden 21 Superstar & X Factor Abilities (Not Directly From EA)

This is a discussion on Madden 21 Superstar & X Factor Abilities (Not Directly From EA) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2020, 02:16 PM   #57
MVP

tru11's Arena

OVR: 0
Madden 21 Superstar & X Factor Abilities (Not Directly From EA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
In a video game that based off of running formulas to determine a said animation/outcome during gameplay, yes.

The higher the rating, the greater the win-chance/Die-Roll for said player to have a wining outcome against his opposition.

So a finesse rusher needs a high power rating so that he can trigger the right finesse animation to beat his man with a finesse move.

Yeah makes a lot of sense.

Pretty good formulas.

They where right to go with what they have

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-27-2020, 02:24 PM   #58
Banned

Re: Madden 21 Superstar & X Factor Abilities (Not Directly From EA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11
So a finesse rusher needs a high power rating so that he can trigger the right finesse animation to beat his man with a finesse move.

Yeah makes a lot of sense.

Pretty good formulas.

They where right to go with what they have

Doesnt power move impact your ability to beat double teams? I’m sure that’s why they gave him a high rating
Old 07-27-2020, 02:56 PM   #59
MVP

tru11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
Doesnt power move impact your ability to beat double teams? I’m sure that’s why they gave him a high rating

Its should not.

That should be blockshedding.

Power move should determine how effective a bull rush is.

Finesse should determine swim spin move.

But this is EA and apperently their formulas are all over the place so it would not suprise me one bit.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:04 PM   #60
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

Consider, however, that Madden is a game played by literally millions of people who do not understand the game as well as you do, a self-identified competitive gamer.

Tiburon has a mandatory obligation to teach those less-skilled players football strategy so they can begin to catch up with your skill level. The abilities push those players in the correct direction in varying degrees of force and in organic and authentic ways. The abilities encourage those players to engage with all the systems in exactly the ways I've described in my previous posts.
You've been saying this for years and your entire mindset about the game is backwards.

EA doesnt need to dumb their game down to the lowest common denominator so people understand how to play football.

The skills trainer is there
Arcade mode is there

They should be doing everything they can to make this game, especially at the competitive level, as in depth as possible. You don't build something around a casual base.

That's like saying Adobe photoshop is too complicated and they should make it more like MS Paint.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Old 07-27-2020, 05:36 PM   #61
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
The skills trainer is there
A gameplay tutorial which is distinct from the game is nowhere near as effective as a game which teaches the user how to play through the course of normal gameplay.

My work experience in video games directly and strongly informs my opinion. I previously worked on a live service multiplayer video game where originally the tutorial was distinct from the game. No one ever used the tutorial, and new players had a hard time sticking in the game because they could not effectively learn how to play while playing and didn't stick around to learn. They'd get through the very basic teaching tools we'd provided, go online, get rekt'd by veteran players, and leave the game forever. Once the player left the game, that meant we couldn't sell them stuff in the game, and thus we couldn't make money, so yes we were directly obligated to help those players git gud.

We made it a point to rebuild the game-teaching mechanics to be baked into the game, as well as the tutorial, and by providing the users the means to learn through gameplay, they were far more likely to stick around. We had the player tracking data to back that up.

Quote:
Arcade mode is there
EA does not position Arcade mode in Madden as a teaching tool and I don't know how you could reasonably begin to identify it as such. It's just not. You still have to know how to play football with strategy and skill to succeed in Arcade mode in Madden.

Quote:
They should be doing everything they can to make this game, especially at the competitive level, as in depth as possible. You don't build something around a casual base.
Superstar Abilities add gameplay depth on the field and in roster construction, and very obviously so.

Quote:
EA doesnt need to dumb their game down to the lowest common denominator so people understand how to play football.
Not only is your opinion here just wrong, but it's informed by your position of having played Madden at a high level for years so you already understand how to play with skill and take that knowledge for granted.

I know so many people who have fallen out of playing sports games - Madden, FIFA, NBA 2K, all of them - because they got too complicated. Madden absolutely has a responsibility to teach new players how to play.

Lowering the barrier of entry and providing in-game tools and guides to help people learn how to play Madden at a high level is not "dumbing the game down" whatsoever.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 07-27-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2020, 05:40 PM   #62
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
If I recall correctly: as of Madden 20, Power Moves affects not only a player's ability to beat double-team blocks in pass rushing situations, but also a player's ability to get "insta-sheds" in one-on-one pass rushing situations.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:35 PM   #63
Banned

Absolutely not. I'm not going to pull punches here, you're just wrong.

If I know my opponent has a mechanic which guarantees him success unless I counter it, I am forced to consider my options at my disposal to counter that. In Madden's case, the primary options I have available are personnel and playcalling. Determining which of my available options are most effective to counter that powerful chess piece my opponent has at his disposal is aboslutely skill. It isn't stick skill, rather it's critical thinking, but that is undeniably skill nevertheless.

This is the same reason the recent DOOM games - both DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal, especially DOOM Eternal - create monsters with varying behaviors and attributes to force you to use each of the different guns in the game. The games both force you to think, to consider your options and use the best tool available to complete each task. Played optimally, in DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal you are switching weapons all the damn time during a firefight as to always have the best weapon available to conquer each opponent. Madden is not that different from DOOM in this regard.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #64
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

There is a PC mod that rewrites all abilities and abilities that can develop on players to only include the ones that make sense from a sim perspective.

I would love a setting that allows you to modify abilities available on console like this:

Off
All on
Superstar only on
Xfactor only on
Sim style only (so removes the arcade cheese ones like the pc mod).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Turning off abilities isn’t a solution it’s simply a band aid. There are abilities that makes sense, Fear Monger, pocket deadeye, any of the wr route abilities. The difference is those don’t have 100% guaranteed outcomes. When I get Mike Evans in the zone his ability is 100% catch rate, it’s increased catch chance.
Sent from my H3113 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »