Home

What are your three biggest issues with the on-field AI?

This is a discussion on What are your three biggest issues with the on-field AI? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What are your three biggest issues with the on-field AI?
QB AI 33 50.00%
The AI's lack of ability to use all of the pre-snap tools the User has access to 11 16.67%
The player's lacking awareness to throw to the sidelines, step out of bounds, etc. 16 24.24%
Adaptive AI being absent or too weak to notice 31 46.97%
The CPU lacks a true gameplan and doesn't play to their strengths/weakness versus the user's 46 69.70%
CPU ball carrying abilitly or lack of, no following blocks, slowing down, reversing field, etc. 15 22.73%
Lack of ability to run hurry up in different parts of the game instead of only when trailing by X when 2 minutes or less are left, never running a 4-minute offense unless it is the end of a game they are leading, etc. 17 25.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #9
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: What are your three biggest issues with the on-field AI?

1. Adaptive AI being absent or too weak to notice

2. Lack of ability to run hurry up in different parts of the game instead of only when trailing by X when 2 minutes or less are left, never running a 4-minute offense unless it is the end of a game they are leading, etc.

3. The CPU lacks a true gameplan and doesn't play to their strengths/weakness versus the user's

I expect 1 and 3 to continue to get better, but I don't feel like number 2 is even on the list to be addressed. They need to be able to switch to a much faster tempo and change up their playcalling at any point in the game depending on score and time remaining.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:06 AM   #10
Banned

tuckermaine's Arena

OVR: 0

Yes...all of the above..!!
Old 07-31-2020, 10:26 AM   #11
Pro

Devaster's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
My three "pinch points" are really none of those on the poll. But to me, QB AI is probably the closest to any of mine (and the only one I voted for).

1. Too many 4-verts/shots called. I'd venture that 90% of the "bad QB AI" comes on these calls. This has been cleaned-up some in M20.
2. Long FG attempts that make little sense. It is such a killer in the field position battle.
3. End-of-half clock management. (I doubt I need to elaborate here)

(I don't disagree with a couple of the other poll options, they just don't 'bother me' as much)

These three are the crucial ones in my opinion as well. I'd expand on #1 and just say play-calling in general. There isn't a lot of variety from the CPU and they also make calls that no coach in real life would ever call in various situations.

For example - if I am up big on the CPU in the 4th quarter I've seen them run draws on 1st/2nd/3rd down and waste precious clock time. Clock management is just an issue in general.

I've seen the CPU pass the ball consistently in the 4th quarter with the lead instead of running clock out (under 2min remaining). The CPU has no awareness of clock management and its own timeouts.

I've seen the CPU run the ball and not call a timeout at the end of the game to hit that game-winning or game-tying FG... Only for the game to end in a loss. lol (last example was super-sim on normal speed)

Last edited by Devaster; 07-31-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2020, 03:20 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 5

QB AI. If they could stop the brain dead QB AI that SLOWLY walks back in the pocket for 15 yards just to be sacked, I'd be thrilled.

As much as I'd like to see the rest of the AI list worked on. I can live with the gameplay if the CPU controlled QB would stop SSLLLOOOOWWWWLLLLYYYY walking backwards till sacked, instead of rolling out or throwing the ball away.

Fix this one gameplay AI issue, and a much deeper franchise and I'm pretty satisfied.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #13
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Gave up Madden awhile back because of these pet peeves. I still watch videos and check in from time to time as a football fan. What made me hang it up was a few things but on topic,

1. Adaptive AI is nonexistent. It kills every game mode. Only being able to control 1 defender means plays with 2 money route combos are going to be spammed all day online. It also makes playing the cpu boring because you on offense you know that play is in your back pocket whenever you need it

2. You can’t trust your eyes on offense. In the running game you can’t read blocks. Offensive lineman don’t progressively lose their battles. You take the hand off and all the blocks are good, then a defender is insta shedding and you have no where to go. Pass defenders will be following a wr or drifting left or right, and you see a window behind them but then they Superman the other direction to make a play.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-06-2020, 06:52 PM   #14
MVP

My two biggest issues, hands down, pertain to CPU play-calling. Specifically, I chose the options relating to the CPU rarely having a coherent, sensible gameplan and its issues with playing "situational football". At times, CPU play-calling seems almost random, with little to no regard for potential matchups that work in its favor or certain players' performances up to that point.

For instance, in one Franchise game, Big Ben and the Steelers were shredding my defense through the air early. They had absolutely no issues moving the ball through the passing game. Then, in the second quarter, they inexplicably switched to a run-heavy approach, in spite of their early success through air and good matchups against my secondary. Even though I had no problems stuffing James Conner (he ended up averaging less than 3 YPC IIRC), they stuck to the run-heavy approach, even as I took the lead and started pulling away. It wasn't until part-way through the 4th that they went back to the pass-heavy attack, but by that point it was too little too late.

One thing I've been meaning to ask in the slider forum is wether or not using NFL Live playbooks has a significant affect on CPU play-calling. Regardless, I'm glad that these issues have been addressed for M21. Hopefully the improvements in that regard function as advertised.

I had a tough time deciding amongst the first three options for my third vote. In the end, I chose "QB AI" since that seemed like more of a catch-all term. An honorable mention would go to the "out-of-bounds" awareness option
MLS: San Jose Earthquakes
EPL: Brentford FC

RIP San Francisco Deltas | 2017 NASL Champions
Old 08-06-2020, 11:08 PM   #15
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3

1. AI Blocking
2. AI Ball Carriers
3. AI QB Pocket Presence/Willingness to Take Off

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2020, 01:58 AM   #16
MVP

tru11's Arena

An audible or hot route makes the cpu ai clueless

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »