Home

Coding nuts and bolts of QB AI?

This is a discussion on Coding nuts and bolts of QB AI? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2021, 03:39 PM   #1
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

OVR: 0
Coding nuts and bolts of QB AI?

How does the AI determine who's "open" and who's not? PS2 era AI wasn't great at that and seemed to just throw it up, but it improved since then.

In real football, QBs read the coverage, find open space and throw into it while the receivers find their way to the ball.

How accurate is that to how the AI finds it's target? Could Madden AI someday be programmed to simulate all the real life coverage exploits?

Example: skinny post vs cover 2, 4 Verts vs cover 3, etc

CPU teams stole your successful plays in your playbook and added them to their playbooks. That feature met with college playbooks from incoming college coaches and user created plays birthed a new meta evolution for playcallers across the NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #2
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Coding nuts and bolts of QB AI?

The AI does audible at the LOS. And you audible to another play and then the CPU audibles to a play. I wonder if there's some basic reading of coverages in the game.

Also the CPU AI only throws to receivers that are wide open. They don't really throw with anticipation and doesn't lead passes or throw high and low.

They don't know how to take advantage of mismatches unless a guy gets beat badly. Taking into account size and ability of corner vs receiver. You could have a 70 rated corner matched up with prime Moss but will rarely look its way.

It's just pretty basic all around.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #3
Rookie

ShaneTheMaster's Arena

OVR: 2

If (playerscountwithin2yardsofreceiver == 0)
Throwball();
Else
RunBackwardsAndTakeSack();
Old 05-10-2021, 12:56 PM   #4
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

People are going to say whatever snarky comment they want, because, the internet, but if you're not commenting on Maddens QB AI, or any other gameplay aspect, after having played at least a couple dozen next gen games vs the CPU then you're just making outdated, irrelevant statements.

Now that won't stop some people from still saying things that aren't true, but it would be nice if folks had the decency to misrepresent things based on the most accurate data.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Operation Sports mobile app

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #5
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9

So in madden 21 next gen they dont do this? In current gen everything stated above is 100% true. Unless the qb is equipped with escape artist cpu qbs are ridiculously unaware. Its very close to game breaking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2021, 12:36 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by michapop9
So in madden 21 next gen they dont do this? In current gen everything stated above is 100% true. Unless the qb is equipped with escape artist cpu qbs are ridiculously unaware. Its very close to game breaking.
QB AI is improved in next gen, but it's far from perfect. They're better at taking off and running and they never drop back constantly taking 20 yard sacks, but they still are pretty unaware when there is pressure. They also still refuse to throw to someone not wide open unless they're forcing a pass. When a WR is NFL open and not Madden open they still don't throw them the ball. That's my biggest issue with the AI.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 05-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #7
MVP

cch99's Arena

If they could figure out a way to force the cpu to try to make sone tighter throws and add more animations for cb knockdowns, offline throws etc, it would organically lower CPU completion percentage. I mean realistically if they would change these auto throwaways to offline throws to receivers it would help the perception of smarter CPU. One of the issues with next gen is the number of times they just wing it way out of bounds and it’s obvious they’ve turned off IG for the CPU.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-12-2021, 02:10 PM   #8
Pro

michapop9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cch99
If they could figure out a way to force the cpu to try to make sone tighter throws and add more animations for cb knockdowns, offline throws etc, it would organically lower CPU completion percentage. I mean realistically if they would change these auto throwaways to offline throws to receivers it would help the perception of smarter CPU. One of the issues with next gen is the number of times they just wing it way out of bounds and it’s obvious they’ve turned off IG for the CPU.
Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
^^^^^ 100% robo qb should have nothing to do with sensing pressure and pocket movement. Much more to do with accuracy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »