Home

Washington Football Team

This is a discussion on Washington Football Team within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2020, 01:05 PM   #33
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Washington Football Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmy
Unless I missed it (and I'm surprised no one has asked yet), what happens when you select alternate uniforms?
I always thought the name and logo were questionable but they are part of history and should be selectable.
The alternates are the same as they have always been but just with all logos removed
Old 08-31-2020, 01:07 PM   #34
Pro

Executor's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
I’m just glad I don’t have to see the NFL logo anymore anytime a player from the WFT wins an award. And honestly I think the new logo looks pretty clean
Yeah I am surprised myself how I don't mind the current "logo" at all.

Just don't stay with the "Football Team" forever. It would be a terrible idea. Leave that to soccer, please and thank you.
Marshall Thundering Herd
Los Angeles Dodgers

"Greater than I, lesser than I, what does it matter to my functioning?"
(Steve Perry: Shadows of the Empire)
Old 08-31-2020, 01:16 PM   #35
Rookie

packers96's Arena

Unfortunately the topic I created was not well accepted by some people here on the forum. My idea was never to offend anyone, I just wanted to know the opinion of members about the new name of the Washington franchise. I would like to apologize for not having expressed myself correctly and if the moderators of the forum feel like closing the topic is up to them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2020, 01:23 PM   #36
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers96
Unfortunately the topic I created was not well accepted by some people here on the forum. My idea was never to offend anyone, I just wanted to know the opinion of members about the new name of the Washington franchise. I would like to apologize for not having expressed myself correctly and if the moderators of the forum feel like closing the topic is up to them.
I don’t feel like you did anything wrong. You asked a question and you got an answer. Discussion is the key to education on matters in a modern and civilized society. Now whether you like the answer or not is completely up to you
Old 08-31-2020, 02:30 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
I always thought they should lean into the pig theme that their fans had for a while. The Warthogs has good alliteration and the Pigskins keeps a little bit of the name.

Also from a fan of a team that had to dump a racist mascot - you'll get over it quickly
Honestly, I'd go with Hogs and call it a day.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:41 PM   #38
Pro

boxers's Arena

I can only speak for myself but I didn't find your post offensive (at least not in the way you're suggesting). You came to a sports video game forum to ask about a topic that you couldn't be bothered to educate yourself on even a little bit before coming here and that you thought was simple enough to be discussed in the "Madden" forum and. Ultimately, you're finding out it is more complex than you expected.

I also think it is a massive cop out to suggest your post wasn't well accepted by others. This is common tactic used by people who no interest in learning and the same tactic used by other teams who refuse to address issues with their names or mascots or whatever. Telling people that something is their problem rather than yours just isn't an acceptable response to criticism. It wasn't a misunderstanding or you misspeaking, your post was just objectively ignorant. Also, you didn't just want to know people's opinion, you threw out an idea -- which was a bad one.

The links below aren't the right answers but they are a start. Try a google search. Anything has to be more helpful than coming to a videogame forum throwing out ideas like the how you "like" Washington Indians as the team's new name.

https://twitter.com/rebeccanagle/sta...524149763?s=20

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...51kkj1cgouwrgm

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers96
Old 08-31-2020, 04:14 PM   #39
Rookie

There's been some commentary indicating that the "Redhawks", "Redtails", "Redwolves" or "Redhogs" are names with some community support. But, individuals within the organization have indicated that they want to move entirely away from references to 'red' and toward a complete re-branding. Personally, I like the "War Hogs"...
Old 08-31-2020, 05:25 PM   #40
Rookie

Dagan's Arena

Allow me to offer some clarity. My great grandparents names are on the Dawes rolls. I asked them a lot of things when little because I already knew it was wiser to go to the actual source when wanting to know real truths.

Indigenous isn't a slur, but it's an inaccuracy and kind of an insult to intelligence, so it's not preferred. It would be accepting that no first nations or natives were here in the first place because everyone came across the Bering Straight and also falling in line with however many religious beliefs that press that as factual. We just don't believe that BS.

Redskin is attributed to the French. It was a lack of better communication and simply a phrase of detail, at first. Much like other words in the history of various languages, a negative connotation was put on it. It became a stigma when used because it was so commonly used in reference to killing any tribe members. I liken it to the word "gay." The word has an original and non-negative meaning, but tons of a-holes over a long time period turned it into a different and hateful meaning, and weirder, it changed again to be used with a kind of decency or neutral meaning when obviously not said hatefully. Redskin seemingly reached that kind of neutrality again with the football team by several tribes, but obviously so many just didn't see it that way, still. I'm personally neutral, but I have never been one to offend a majority or minority, either way, especially if it is such a trivial thing that could be so easily remedied with my ability to adapt to what isn't offensive. The reality of actual history, though, I will always defend. Truth should not be hidden away just because any amount of people feel offended. I'm always going to live in actual reality, not ignorant people's made up, preferred reality.

First nations is for the Inuit Tribes mostly, but there are Northern tribes of the US that prefer it, as well. Also, Eskimo is English slang of again, a French word "eskimaux" and simply means what I already said, the Northern tribes of the more often called, Inuit.

I've heard several times that saying Indians is insulting because this isn't India, Columbus never came to this land specifically and it's stupid. I've also heard that certain tribes prefer it. So, any team that calls itself Indians, I personally just look at it as stupidity, and if they want to run with it acting like they have an intelligent mascot that actually means something, then haha, go for it. Maybe that's why they often suck? Who knows?

My personal thoughts on other teams. Braves were warriors of tribes not really in the South. The term filtered down to even our bloodlines of Cherokee and Chickasaw, but it really meant Sioux or Apache and signified by Eagle feathers. In the South, our warriors would much more be signified by raven or crow feathers. Anyway, the Atlanta Braves isn't offensive really. It's just another team not exactly accurate.

The Kansas City Chiefs and Florida State Seminoles are the least offensive or inaccurate overall, I guess. I'm going to stop at this because I see that I have posted a whole essay accidentally. Oops. I guess, just ask me if you want more details. I'm not an easily offended person at all. The past is beset by dead men. We are not them. We learn and move forward on our path. If we discover our ignorance, we will choose feeling appropriate shame or not and make further choices to go on in ignorance or better wisdom.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »