Home

Pressing L2/LT behind the LOS as a QB

This is a discussion on Pressing L2/LT behind the LOS as a QB within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #9
Rookie

Dblock1111's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Pressing L2/LT behind the LOS as a QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg88forHOF
It's still there, they just moved it to (hold) R2/RT.

When an ability doesn't work like I remember, I usually check to see if it's been moved someplace else before I jump straight to torches and pitchforks over EA taking it out. Maybe that's just me.
This isnt what he's talking about. Holding RT/R2 has always been how to scramble. In Madden 20 they introduced a feature on LT/L2 to take away the passing icons and allow your QB to become a runner even behind the LOS, that way you could use ball carrier moves without throwing a pass you didnt mean to.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblock1111
This isnt what he's talking about. Holding RT/R2 has always been how to scramble. In Madden 20 they introduced a feature on LT/L2 to take away the passing icons and allow your QB to become a runner even behind the LOS, that way you could use ball carrier moves without throwing a pass you didnt mean to.
So ball carrier moves, which are now on the right stick and don't require dropping the passing icons to avoid an inadvertent pass, don't work on the right stick behind the LoS?

I read this change as "the icons no longer need to drop, so might as well leave them up to allow a player to continue to read routes and more quickly pass while avoiding pressure".

Because last year, once you dropped the icons and became a runner, it was painful to re-establish as a passer when still behind the line.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #11
Rookie

Dblock1111's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg88forHOF
So ball carrier moves, which are now on the right stick and don't require dropping the passing icons to avoid an inadvertent pass, don't work on the right stick behind the LoS?

I read this change as "the icons no longer need to drop, so might as well leave them up to allow a player to continue to read routes and more quickly pass while avoiding pressure".

Because last year, once you dropped the icons and became a runner, it was painful to re-establish as a passer when still behind the line.

Well, the ball carrier moves also involve things like Stiff Arm (A/X), Hurdle (Y/Triangle), and Dive (X/Square), which can't be done while the pass icons are up. Also, the right stick doesn't do ball carrier moves with the QB behind the line, it does "Playmaker" controls for your receiver.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2020, 02:21 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblock1111
Well, the ball carrier moves also involve things like Stiff Arm (A/X), Hurdle (Y/Triangle), and Dive (X/Square), which can't be done while the pass icons are up. Also, the right stick doesn't do ball carrier moves with the QB behind the line, it does "Playmaker" controls for your receiver.
Is it fair to say the utility of those moves for a QB behind the line is pretty low? I can't think of a time I've seen a QB hurdle a guy behind the line as a pressure avoidance move. Juke, maybe even a spin, sure...the highest level "athletic" QBs do that from time to time, although not very often behind the line.

To me, actions behind the LOS should focus on rush avoidance while keeping eyes on the patterns. Last year did not feel ideal for that at all....dropping the icons, in essence, felt like committing to a downfield scramble. Sure, you could hit LT again to bring them back up, but that was an extra, deliberate step required to become a passer again. And in order to move effectively, you HAD to....trying to move around without hitting LT kept you in your "pocket presence strafe", even if you were holding RT while you did it.

This year feels a lot more organic as a passer. I can move effectively to avoid pressure, move the pocket, and extend the play without taking full attention off what's happening downfield....and without requiring a hard switch between passer and runner to do it.

I guess I can see how someone might look at that as "taking a mechanic away", but I'm seeing "cleaning up and refocusing QB mechanics behind the line".

In either case, the ability to respond to pressure is absolutely still there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »