Home

Rookies: Star vs. Normal Dev. Trait

This is a discussion on Rookies: Star vs. Normal Dev. Trait within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2020, 04:00 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Rookies: Star vs. Normal Dev. Trait

Let me ask you all your POV.

When determining starters, how much stock to you put in dev traits vs. overall?

For example, I have two rookie linebackers- one thats 65 OVR with 89 speed and normal dev and 1 that's 62 OVR with a hidden dev trait (Star)- which would one would you go with?

same situation on the OL- I have 1 at 69 normal dev, 1 at 60 with hidden dev (Star)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Rookies: Star vs. Normal Dev. Trait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rs31632
Let me ask you all your POV.

When determining starters, how much stock to you put in dev traits vs. overall?

For example, I have two rookie linebackers- one thats 65 OVR with 89 speed and normal dev and 1 that's 62 OVR with a hidden dev trait (Star)- which would one would you go with?

same situation on the OL- I have 1 at 69 normal dev, 1 at 60 with hidden dev (Star)
As with many things, the answer is It Depends (TM).

With the LBs you mentioned, just based on the information you gave, I'd start the 62 OVR Star dev (although I'd be looking at a lot more stats than just OVR and SPD to make that decision.

That decision would be because LBs are snap-starved to begin with, and LBs are a position that develop based on stat accumulation...the lion's share of defensive plays should be run out of nickel and dime, meaning a lower number of overall snaps for LBs. That player will need as many snaps as I can get them to develop and cash in on the higher dev trait. Also, LBs are a position with relatively minimal on-field impact...lower performance from the position has less impact on the team's performance.

For the O-line, I'd give the opposite answer: I'd start the 69 normal. O-line is a more impactful position, and 9 OVR is a meaningful dropoff (again, depending on a lot more stats than just OVR). O-line is also a position that doesn't get most of its XP from personal stat accumulation....the bulk of their XP comes from team goals and training. So I'd probably look to focus the hidden dev rookie in training, and keep him lower on the depth chart where he can still soak XP without actually having to start.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Rookies: Star vs. Normal Dev. Trait

I’d also factor in age. If your lower overall/higher development player is 24 while the other is 21 or 22 it’s probably better to invest in the younger player

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »