Home

Ideas to make kicking harder

This is a discussion on Ideas to make kicking harder within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2020, 04:17 AM   #1
Rookie

Richie71's Arena

OVR: 0

Honestly, In my CFM, I cheat when it comes to kickers and punters. I never re-sign vets. When I have no kicker or punter on my roster, I use my last two draft picks (trading down if I can get another pick out of it) on the K and P with the highest combine scores. Then it makes no difference to my kicking and punting success. I either get the meter right or don't, but apart from the range (kick power) the score or miss is down to me.

I thought of a couple of ways to make good kickers matter, inspired by 21 before some of the patches!

The jerking kicking meter that was fixed a few weeks ago was a nightmare. So, along with a narrower target for kickers with poor accuracy, make the meter go faster for poor accuracy, but make it change speed for kickers with really poor accuracy.

i.e. KAC >95 meter goes dead slow. Above 80 to 95 is a variety of speeds. Below 80, it changes speed as it moves.

The second change could relate to awareness. Other than the "ice the kicker" mechanic there was no pressure kicking scenario. I think there is a Superstar ability that makes icing the kicker not work. Expand on that by:
Calculate the pressure of a kick.

Superbowl end of game, match winner = lots of pressure.
Playoff game match winner, a little less pressure, and regular season, less so again. Factor in where the team is in the playoff race.
During the game, does it change who leads, ties the game etc. Preseason = much less pressure. This doesn't have to be a complex calculation. Same for punters, relating to field position and score and where you are in the schedule.

Add in a dice roll for some randomness, and.... "ice the kicker" can happen without the opposition calling a timeout.

So, your low awareness kicker might be fine in preseason, but could repeatedly choke when it comes to the big games.

Both apply to both punters and kickers, but kickers should be much more susceptible to pressure.

Just a couple of ideas to add some challenge and franchise strategy to what's become less relevant.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2020, 06:00 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Ideas to make kicking harder

they could simply implement the kicking meter found in the NCAA series. and make it a one analog stick feature. you kick and aim with one stick..

Thats how I kick in the NCAA to make it more challenging anyways. I use 1 stick.

position on the field, distance, and kicker rating becomes more important. (rating of the kicker and distance does affect the speed of the meter in NCAA football)

Last edited by tril; 10-21-2020 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
Rookie

Blue12's Arena

I really loved the All Pro Football 2k8 kicking mechanic. It was challenging and rewarding.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #4
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9

They also need to add a real kick percentage choice like nba2k does with free throws and rate kickers in 10 yard increments. It would have to be different than whatever they use for the CPU kicking though because I’ve never seen them miss an EP or anything under 40 yards. And that’s with FG’s accuracy at 37.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
they could simply implement the kicking meter found in the NCAA series. and make it a one analog stick feature. you kick and aim with one stick..

Thats how I kick in the NCAA to make it more challenging anyways. I use 1 stick.

position on the field, distance, and kicker rating becomes more important. (rating of the kicker and distance does affect the speed of the meter in NCAA football)
I seriously miss the shaking play art and difficulty making audibles from NCAA. Surely that's part of a 'Living world' and 'Next Level Atmosphere' right?

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2020, 09:46 AM   #6
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3

Kicking was reasonably difficult at launch if you missed the right spot on the meter. Then casual competitive players complained and kicking became a cakewalk again. Same old story.

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Old 10-21-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 19

Don’t aim the stick just try and press the button to the R/L of the accurate window, even when it’s slow it’s difficult to measure correctly for the User.

Generated kickers can/will have KAC as low as 50’s, you won’t find that in Front End EA rosters.

***As long as the Kicking Sliders are not touched, the lower generated kicking attributes will function in the game.
- touch the Slider and something is thrown off under-the-hood causing shanks, short kicks and other kicking issues in CFM.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:17 AM   #8
MVP

Americas Team's Arena

Another area of laziest, the kicking meter has been the same for ages, its such a boring part of the game. No attempt to innovate and make it refreshing, theirs several examples from other sports games they could copy. I'd be OK if they brought back how it was on PS2, the more power, the harder the accuracy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »