Home

CB Depth Chart: Help Me Understand

This is a discussion on CB Depth Chart: Help Me Understand within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #9
MVP

Rondo is GOD's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: CB Depth Chart: Help Me Understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
Bumping this post because I haven't been able to figure this out. A number of players online have started using 3 x 1 sets with the tight end split out alone. However, the defense always puts a linebacker on the innermost slot receiver, and it that's someone like Tyreek then it's a massive problem. The coach adjustments used to correct for that, but I have not figured out how to do so post patch, the lb will just always cover the guy closest to the OL regardless of who it is.
I prefer to look at specifics rather than generalities with the matchups. Whats your squad and what is theirs?

If someone has their TE out wide a lot I look to the "height" match up more often. But thats only because I have gilmore who is the tallest CB out of the Pats top 4 CBS and if I add an extra DB compared to their WRs, gilly will follow mr TE everywhere as long as I keep that +1 CB personnel.

Its extremely variable based. I have yet to figure out a baseline rule on how to use the adjustments.

You have to consider their wrs as well. I wouldn't play SF and KC with the same adjustment even tho I want to cover kelce and kittle in a similar way. I use speed against KC to blanket Tyreke with Jon Jones. Or I stick to +1 CB personnel kittle and kelce will not get LBs on routes.

But again when you get to your base defense its impossible to get a CB on a tight end unless they offset to one side and you make the coverage adjust to make it appear like zone.

Variables variables variables.
In this case the lasagna restaurant started selling candy to kids and that became the best revenue stream so they’ve let the lasagna get worse and focused on becoming a candy store. The problem is this restaurant bought the rights to make lasagna so if we want lasagna we can only go to this place.

Last edited by Rondo is GOD; 11-07-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:23 PM   #10
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

Relatable question here, but why does the AI always have their CB2 matched up on my WR1? Am I wrong in that?
Old 12-17-2020, 03:24 AM   #11
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
Relatable question here, but why does the AI always have their CB2 matched up on my WR1? Am I wrong in that?
Should be the case that if the CPU has an OVR 90+ CB and you have an OVR 90+ WR, they use the By OVR WR-DB matchup coaching adjustment.

Without matchup coaching adjustments, the default depth chart ordering places CB1 on the defense's left-hand side in most (if not all) defensive formations - the offense's right-hand side. On the flip side, WR1 typically lines up on the offense's left-hand side - the defense's right-hand side. I believe designers at the Tiburon studio have cited some NFL precedent for this particular design in the past.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2020, 11:48 AM   #12
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Should be the case that if the CPU has an OVR 90+ CB and you have an OVR 90+ WR, they use the By OVR WR-DB matchup coaching adjustment.

Without matchup coaching adjustments, the default depth chart ordering places CB1 on the defense's left-hand side in most (if not all) defensive formations - the offense's right-hand side. On the flip side, WR1 typically lines up on the offense's left-hand side - the defense's right-hand side. I believe designers at the Tiburon studio have cited some NFL precedent for this particular design in the past.
I am indeed seeing them lineup their CB1 on the defense's left side, but that's where my WR2 lines up based on my depth chart with him as WR2. That seems to be the issue--why is he lining up on the right as WR2?

I don't do anything fancy--my WR depth chart is in straight order of OVR, and the slot just goes WR3-WR5.

In short, this opens up opportunities for Golladay (in 2022) to just dominate as he's an X-Factor going against CB2s most games.

My only guess is that my WR2, even though he's just a 75 OVR has 96 speed and is 3rd in receiving yards heading into Week 14. Is the AI that smart? I doubt it lol.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:00 PM   #13
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
I am indeed seeing them lineup their CB1 on the defense's left side, but that's where my WR2 lines up based on my depth chart with him as WR2. That seems to be the issue--why is he lining up on the right as WR2?
Maybe I was too verbose - this is the game working as intended.

A lot of teams in the NFL don't travel their CBs to match up against the opposing team's best wide receiver. Most teams don't have a Darrelle Revis or Stephon Gilmore on their roster to just erase another player in that manner.

The most obvious contemporary example of this is Richard Sherman, who has lined up at Left Cornerback basically his entire career - both in Seattle and San Francisco. He follows the offense's top receiver only on very rare occasions.

Another factor - many NFL offenses are "right-handed", so it makes sense that, if the CBs aren't going to travel, the best one goes on the offense's right side.

Madden replicates this behavior by making CB1 always play RCB and CB2 always play LCB, with the option to play best-on-best available in coaching adjustments.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »