Home

Linebacker pass coverage?

This is a discussion on Linebacker pass coverage? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #1
Rookie

romeosdistress's Arena

OVR: 1

Why is it so terrible? Even on pro its really bad. Anyone else have that issue?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0

Not making excuses bc I agree it’s bad, but is it not as simple as most LBs have coverage ratings down in the 60s even if they’re good? Most TEs these days are hard to cover, with route running and catch ratings nearly on par with WRs, they’re just slower. So ratings-wise it makes sense they’d be getting dusted 10 times a game, especially considering even good CBs have much similar issues.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:44 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Linebacker pass coverage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeosdistress
Why is it so terrible? Even on pro its really bad. Anyone else have that issue?
If it’s MCV, they should be getting beat for game balance.

ZCV is the reaction rating and you have to manually edit this rating to 90+ for coverage LB’s to react/minimize the imposed delay done via formula(s).

THP are stupid high for most QB’s (90+) and kills the Zone Coverage game.
- add on QB Abilities that will boost even more... you can see why

***picture from MUTLeaks Twitter of ZCV Rating impact***
Attached Images
File Type: png B46A7D1D-B73C-4E6B-A9C3-230A0A39399D.png (9.4 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by khaliib; 11-18-2020 at 12:47 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:28 AM   #4
Rookie

Richie71's Arena

OVR: 0

Man? Zone? Your base scheme?
If you match up wrongly (a run stopping LB on a vertical threat TE in man for example) then you will get beat.

I play CFM All-Madden, and find LB coverage too good relative to DBs. My LBs routinely lead the team in INTs and PBUs. I play mainly cover three, and get my run stopping LOLB off the field in pass situations.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:49 AM   #5
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Linebackers don't really carry their receivers at all when they enter their zone. They spot drop. But I think the biggest culprit is pass rush. In terms of Madden it's alot better but compared to real life NFL qbs would have all day and would complete 80+ percent of their passes. If an OLine can hold up over 3 seconds on a consistent basis then the QB should have a field day throwing. But in Madden the defense gets stonewalled so much that any zone will break down.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2020, 09:41 AM   #6
Rookie

spfhelmiii's Arena

OVR: 5

I have the same issue, and it largely feels like a combination of the above to me. I do think a major issue is the LBs spot-dropping and the pass-rush stonewalling can have an impact.

But to me, the biggest factors are the lightning fast release time and ball velocity for QBs, and that they don't "read" the defense like you or I. The CPU QB instantly knows who is open and who is not, all at the same time, whereas you and I have to actually use our eyes to check (or maybe some folks are good and use peripheral vision to see the whole field at the same time). But what it means is that the CPU always knows the instant a TE is open (if he is) and can get it out quickly... if the CPU doesn't throw quickly to the TE, it's either because the TE is not open (but for the reasons above, he usually is vs. a LB) or there is some other programmed reason that the QB isn't throwing it.

I play All Pro with the 49ers, who have great coverage LBs (Warner and Greenlaw), and the CPU still will throw a ton of quick completions to TEs unless I manually take it away... particularly early in the game.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:32 AM   #7
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

The more I play this game, the more I understand that I need players that have attributes that match the style that I prefer to play.

I prefer zone defense with a great pass rush, but in order to do that, I need linebackers that can play zone. Needless to say I spend a lot of attribute points on building up zone coverage for all my players.

Sent from my thoughts
Old 11-18-2020, 12:37 PM   #8
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfhelmiii
I have the same issue, and it largely feels like a combination of the above to me. I do think a major issue is the LBs spot-dropping and the pass-rush stonewalling can have an impact.

But to me, the biggest factors are the lightning fast release time and ball velocity for QBs, and that they don't "read" the defense like you or I. The CPU QB instantly knows who is open and who is not, all at the same time, whereas you and I have to actually use our eyes to check (or maybe some folks are good and use peripheral vision to see the whole field at the same time). But what it means is that the CPU always knows the instant a TE is open (if he is) and can get it out quickly... if the CPU doesn't throw quickly to the TE, it's either because the TE is not open (but for the reasons above, he usually is vs. a LB) or there is some other programmed reason that the QB isn't throwing it.

I play All Pro with the 49ers, who have great coverage LBs (Warner and Greenlaw), and the CPU still will throw a ton of quick completions to TEs unless I manually take it away... particularly early in the game.
The flipside though is that the CPU will checkdown every pass rarely taking deep shots or forcing passes even when they need a crucial first down. How often do you see them lead a receiver oob on a 4th down short of the sticks? Or run throw a short pass over the middle that leads to the playclock running out at the end of a game? Qb AI has to be smarter because having tighter coverage will completely melt the Brain of the AI.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »