Home

I need help. I'm terrible! (Next-Gen Madden Q About Pro Sliders And Help Overall)

This is a discussion on I need help. I'm terrible! (Next-Gen Madden Q About Pro Sliders And Help Overall) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2020, 07:59 PM   #1
Rookie

Frost33's Arena

OVR: 3
I need help. I'm terrible! (Next-Gen Madden Q About Pro Sliders And Help Overall)

This is the first year I've played in 4 or 5 seasons at least. I'm not sure if it matters or not, but I"m playing on a next gen console. After initially playing on Pro difficulty and finding it pretty easy I switched to All-Pro and I'm getting destroyed on offense and defense. On offense I can run the ball ok, nothing spectacular, but throwing is a different story. I try to throw to open receivers and find myself getting picked off or balls batted away constantly. It's not unusual for me to get picked off 4 or 5 times a game even when I'm trying to be cautious. One thing I REALLY miss is the ability to change the speed of the game. It looks like EA has removed that option and the game is just really fast. I've played about 10 games so far and have lost every one. I average about 10 points or so a game and give up at least 28.

Basically I'm looking for some help because this is getting really frustrating. I searched the sliders section and didn't see any Pro sliders there. Are there sliders for people that are just bad at the game? Or can someone give me some tips on how to adjust sliders to help me?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2020, 08:13 PM   #2
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: I need help. I'm terrible!

Can't help you with sliders, I play at All Pro default and it's pretty much perfect for me. I highly recommend if you haven't already is going into tutorials and practicing concepts. That has helped me immensely in the passing game reading defenses. They show you who the key defender to look for at the snap and you go through your progressions from there. I'll still have multiple interception games sometimes but overall I have a good grasp of the passing game.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:07 PM   #3
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I need help. I'm terrible! (Next-Gen Madden Q About Pro Sliders And Help Overall)

I'm a pretty casual madden player but I made sure to practice those concepts to get my eyes used to reading what I want to see. I've also learned to use some motion (I know, noob/baby steps lol) pre-snap to determine the coverage. A lot of routes are very good vs zone/man and rather useless vice versa so learning your man-beaters and zone-beaters is an easy way to help your decision-making as it should just cancel some routes out before you even snap the ball.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:51 PM   #4
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: I need help. I'm terrible! (Next-Gen Madden Q About Pro Sliders And Help Overall)

This is going to sound like it's adding complexity....but there's a rationale here.

Most beginning-level players make a critical mistake. They back-up an extra few yards in the pocket (or roll out) on nearly every pass. I get it, the inclination is to get away from the d-line.

But the problem doing this is two-fold.

1. You're attempting longer passes distance-wise. That means, you may be taking a short throw (using the SAC rating) and turning it into a medium distance throw (which uses the MAC rating). MAC (and DAC) throws have more restrictive thresholds in which mis-fires can occur and they also give defenders more time to react.

2. Longer dropbacks mean you're not throwing on-time. Slant passes should be 1, 2, throw...not 1,2,3,4,5,6 throw. It totally changes the dynamics of the play and coverage. Sometimes it makes it easier, many times, it doesn't.

If you can learn how to step up in the pocket to avoid pressure and to throw on-time, you'll be a much better overall passer and the game will feel a lot more like football. It takes work, it takes practice...but you WILL get there.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:44 PM   #5
Rookie

Shamhat1915's Arena

OVR: 5

I've found my main issue is I have an extremely bad habit of using the burst/acceleration button when I shouldn't in the pocket. It's in my head that I need to use that to avoid the rush, even when it's just stepping up into the pocket. And it seems to trigger the blockshed and get off for defenders in my eye. It will also affect your quarterback's throws.
I've been so bad with using the speed burst that I've started practicing playing without using it at all to try to break that habit. I've noticed a difference in my passing when staying away from it.
But as others have said, it mainly comes down to just reading the defense. Not being afraid to just take the checkdowns and take what is open. I'll admit, I absolutely suck with the deep passing game. My offense is a dip/dunk/dive offense because for the life of me I can't throw deep. I see the play, think it's open, but there's never the separation or opening I think is there lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamhat1915
I've found my main issue is I have an extremely bad habit of using the burst/acceleration button when I shouldn't in the pocket. It's in my head that I need to use that to avoid the rush, even when it's just stepping up into the pocket. And it seems to trigger the blockshed and get off for defenders in my eye. It will also affect your quarterback's throws.
I've been so bad with using the speed burst that I've started practicing playing without using it at all to try to break that habit. I've noticed a difference in my passing when staying away from it.
But as others have said, it mainly comes down to just reading the defense. Not being afraid to just take the checkdowns and take what is open. I'll admit, I absolutely suck with the deep passing game. My offense is a dip/dunk/dive offense because for the life of me I can't throw deep. I see the play, think it's open, but there's never the separation or opening I think is there lol

Much of the time it's the opposite for me. Deep passing is a lot easier because there's zero question about what the coverage is. Conversely, in the short game, you can't know if the linebacker is going to fade into your passing lane until the ball is snapped, and it requires much faster decision making and reflexes.

If I have a WR running a deep in, before he breaks I'm going to know if there will be a window open to throw it.

Of course, the downside to the deep game is that you're much more likely to take a sack. And if your primary read isn't open and you panic, you're going to throw a pick.

Usually I will have a primary, a checkdown plan if the coverage isn't what I thought it would be presnap (or if I'm about to get sacked by unexpected pressure), and one contingency progression plan that I implement immediately after the snap if I see a particular thing happen. For example, if I'm running a deep in, I don't have to look at my primary receiver the moment I snap the ball, so instead I'll look at a tight end that might be wide open quickly if, say, a linebacker vacates a zone at the snap.

So what I'll do is key on that linebacker and the safety behind him, and if that part of the field is immediately open, I'll throw to the tight end. If that part of the field isn't immediately wide open, I'll let my eyes drift to the defenders and the area of the field that the deep in will need open (for example, if the safeties remain in the same position they were at the snap, e.g., if the field is closed or open [a single high or a cover 2 or 4 look]). At this point, my deep in WR is about to make his break. If there's a window, I throw the ball just before or just as he makes his break. If there is not a window, I'm looking at the check down. If that's covered, I'm looking to run or throw it away.

Another piece of information I get from looking at my contingency progression is if there's a blitz from the linebackers (sometimes I'll also notice if one of my linemen is immediately blitzed, but normally I don't have the peripheral vision for that).

Lastly, the two things that get me in trouble the most are (1) refusing to leave my primary read (if the deep in in my example play is covered, for example, sometimes I'll try to make a hero throw, and that usually ends in a pick) and (2) improvising in a stupid way, like Jimmy Garoppolo. You have to know when to fold. Sometimes you should just take that third down sack and punt.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »