Home

Favorite version of Madden

This is a discussion on Favorite version of Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2020, 04:02 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Favorite version of Madden

Madden NFL 10: Gameplay-wise, this one hasn't aged particularly well (though it was quite fun at the time). But, it contained a number of presentation elements that haven't really been duplicated since. Such elements include fan cutscenes, Weather Channel integration, and the Extra Point weekly wrap-up show.

Madden NFL 12: For me, this is probably the peak for Madden on the 7th generation of consoles. Though certain aspects of gameplay, such as player movement and physics, would improve with the shift to the Infinity Engine the following year, I felt gameplay was still quite strong. A big part of that was the fact that the CPU was able to give you a pretty good challenge, even on All-Pro. And, with the exception of the infamous super-jump LB's, they were able to do so without too much cheese. Also, this is easily the peak for Franchise on the 7th generation. The mode mode includes some things we just got back (proper stat-tracking on player cards, for instance) and features we're still asking for the return of (coordinators, a better way to control all 32 teams, coach tendency customization, etc). I was compelled to revisit this game over the Summer after watching some of Mr. Hurricane's streams, and I was reminded of why I loved this game so much at the time. I'm even in the process of starting up an old 49ers Franchise and seeing if I can rewrite the history of the Harbaugh era. One last thing I'll add is that the Gus Johnson/Chris Collinsworth commentary was absolutely atrocious. No amount of nostalgia can make me think otherwise in that regard, haha.

Madden NFL 16: Gameplay-wise, this is probably the series' peak on the 8th generation of consoles (however, M21 has the potential to match or even surpass it, depending on how the rest of the patch cycle goes). Players had a good amount of weight to them and felt rooted to the ground in a way that they really haven't before or since. Certain systems like fatigue and CPU QB AI just worked for the most part, and the CPU was a formidable opponent. Perhaps most importantly, this was probably the most balanced Madden of the 8th generation. Neither offense nor defense felt too overpowered, and I felt that I was able to have a variety of game types because of it (blowouts, shootouts, defensive struggles, etc.). While I would prefer the Gaudin/Davis commentary that we have know, i do appreciation the commitment they had at this to time to mimicking the CBS presenation style.

Honorable Mentions: The 6th generation versions of Madden NFL 2005-08 (I was too young to get the most out of them, Franchise-wise), Madden NFL 17, Madden NFL 20
MLS: San Jose Earthquakes
EPL: Brentford FC

RIP San Francisco Deltas | 2017 NASL Champions

Last edited by ripcandlestickpark; 01-10-2021 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:13 PM   #10
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcandlestickpark
Madden NFL 16: Gameplay-wise, this is probably the series' peak on the 8th generation of consoles (however, M21 has the potential to match or even surpass it, depending on how the rest of the patch cycle goes). Players had a good amount of weight to them and felt rooted to the ground in a way that they really haven't before or since. Certain systems like fatigue and CPU QB AI just worked for the most part, and the CPU was a formidable opponent. Perhaps most importantly, this was probably the most balanced Madden of the 8th generation. Neither offense nor defense felt too overpowered, and I felt that I was able to have a variety of game types because of it (blowouts, shootouts, defensive struggles, etc.).
If someone were to ask me why I'd include M16 near the top of my list; I don't think I could articulate it any better than you did right here.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #11
Rookie

Madden 05

Madden 04

Madden 08

Madden 18

Madden 21

For this old guy

Been playing since the 1st madden on sega

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2020, 05:21 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
If someone were to ask me why I'd include M16 near the top of my list; I don't think I could articulate it any better than you did right here.
Thank you! Out of curiosity, I'd love to know more about why you're so low on M12. It's definitely not a perfect game as I alluded to in my post (not the most realistic player movement, super-jump LBs, etc.), but I still hold it in pretty high regard.
MLS: San Jose Earthquakes
EPL: Brentford FC

RIP San Francisco Deltas | 2017 NASL Champions
Old 12-21-2020, 08:32 PM   #13
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

It's just 21 for me. No interest in the older games, especially across generations.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:46 PM   #14
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Thank you! Out of curiosity, I'd love to know more about why you're so low on M12. It's definitely not a perfect game as I alluded to in my post (not the most realistic player movement, super-jump LBs, etc.), but I still hold it in pretty high regard.
I can tell you why it is not on my list. Those Super LB’s were god awful, the passing game was god awful, and the announcing team was god awful, and for all the applause franchise mode get’s on 12....I found it extremely sterile. Now I loved the stadium overheads and some elements of the game....but to me it simply could not hold my attention with the sub par gameplay.

For me it was a highly overrated game. The gameplay was simply not good enough to hold my interest...couple that with a lifeless franchise mode and the UDFA feature being buggy as hell. Just meh.

I still play Madden 25 on the PS3....that game is an absolute blast, presentation is excellent compared to Madden 12 and gameplay is far better. Worlds better actually.

I failed to mention Madden 93. That game was a staple at my apartment. We are talking 5-6 hour sessions of head to head games with my then roommate and drummer in my rock band.....we had seasons we would track, keep stats in a notebook....have major rivalries and going to bed pissed off after tough losses. Great times.

And to add onto Madden 16.....the penalty system works amazing as well. Great variety. Also the soundtrack was the last great one for Madden.

Madden 16 is still a great game and I play the classic rosters on it to this day (86,90,99)
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 12-21-2020 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:14 AM   #15
Pro

sportomatic75's Arena

Madden 05, 06, 08 and 2016 stand out the most to me just because of the history. BRING BACK THE TONY BRUNO SHOW TO MADDEN
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #16
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Armor said it perfectly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
... for all the applause franchise mode get’s on 12....I found it extremely sterile.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »