Home

Do Player Ratings Matter in All-Madden? Here’s an Experiment

This is a discussion on Do Player Ratings Matter in All-Madden? Here’s an Experiment within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2020, 02:04 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Do Player Ratings Matter in All-Madden? Here’s an Experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennylc321
I’ve always felt that the one thing that made me lose trust of EA was 3-4 years ago when they came out with the whole “simulation” mode where players play to their ratings. I was totally hyped for that game to come out because having the players play to their ratings was probably the one single thing I wanted in this game.

Maddens patch notes basically tell you that it is nonsense. Every patch note included something like “tuned defenders reaction time to flat route” or whatever.

If players were playing to their ratings this wouldn’t be necessary

When they came out with simulation mode, but had non simulation aspects in the mode because of their competitive design (like QB’s fumbling constantly), they proved that the labels were nothing more than a weak attempt to please the sim crowd. Not a legitimate effort to bring simulation gameplay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2020, 02:48 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 19

Hopefully can get a follow up to my question surrounding the use of AWR relating to QB’s to the two points noted.

- Reading Playbooks
- QB Progression
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7C7D9955-2925-4EEA-8598-9089F91F4183.jpg (219.7 KB, 177 views)
Old 12-30-2020, 02:55 PM   #27
Pro

OVR: 4

Recently did a deep dive on QB progression. And from what I can tell AWR is only tied to the % that they throw the ball away under pressure. It goes from AWR rating 60-100 chance of throwing it away is 10-25%, with a modifier trigger if they dont have the throw ball away trait to decrease the chance.

Now there is something called concept awr QB/def, but idk who exactly it relates to.

Here's how the passing logic breaks down in order

*Passing on non take a shot or 3rd and 4+
Primary receiver
Progression receiver
Most Open receiver
First Down receiver (if he's open)

*Pressured throw away
Most Open receiver
Throw ball away

*Pressured w/ take a shot chance activated
Jump Ball receiver
First Down receiver

*Unused
Favorable Matchup Receiver
Checkdown Receiver

I've tweaked it on PC somewhat but I'm fully convinced that AWR doesnt play any part in determining how open someone is, going through progressions. Now the traits have triggers for how the react to the incoming pressure with modifiers, but thats it.

EDIT: To piggy back on what you posted Khaliib, if you go to headtracking folder there is a AWR factor for distance/angles, im assuming this is what they are referring to.

Last edited by xSABOx; 12-30-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #28
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
Madden has a unique challenge when it comes to difficulty in sports games. The player acting as qb can basically see the whole field at the same time. So making it difficult and realistic is not possible without addressing this issue. An actual human does not have this field of vision. A lot of qb's in today's game are shorter than their linemen even. So, if you have realistic speed, route running, blocking, reaction, ect based on ratings on both sides of the ball the human is going to dominate. This is the fundamental flaw of Madden in my opinion. AI can only do so much to cover up for this without having players perform above the players actual abilities.

They just need to bring back the Vision Cone, and if you attempt to throw to someone outside the cone your accuracy is greatly penalized.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:34 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_O_B_27
They just need to bring back the Vision Cone, and if you attempt to throw to someone outside the cone your accuracy is greatly penalized.

I just want misses to not be 10 yard overthrows every time. I can’t remember the last time I saw a ball go just out of reach of the WR. I recently played 2K8 again and LOVED seeing passes like that.

I had a game earlier where i threw a drag route directly across the middle of the field, basically at 12 o’ clock, and the ball went at about 2 o’ clock. Like over the TE’s head. Lmao and that’s not an uncommon occurrence and hasn’t been for years.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:02 AM   #30
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
I just want misses to not be 10 yard overthrows every time. I can’t remember the last time I saw a ball go just out of reach of the WR. I recently played 2K8 again and LOVED seeing passes like that.

I had a game earlier where i threw a drag route directly across the middle of the field, basically at 12 o’ clock, and the ball went at about 2 o’ clock. Like over the TE’s head. Lmao and that’s not an uncommon occurrence and hasn’t been for years.
I’m not getting none of this on Next-Gen with the Player Movement and the plethora of new animations they’ve added to the bank.

I get a lot of “just-out-of-reach” animations triggering, but nothing like the super over throws on Current-Gen.

For the 1st time, finally get to lead player off route to an area of field and run under it with the right player (ratings)
Old 12-31-2020, 02:20 AM   #31
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
I’m not getting none of this on Next-Gen with the Player Movement and the plethora of new animations they’ve added to the bank.

I get a lot of “just-out-of-reach” animations triggering, but nothing like the super over throws on Current-Gen.

For the 1st time, finally get to lead player off route to an area of field and run under it with the right player (ratings)

I’m not sure what’s causing one of us to get them and not the other. Of course, I’ve asked that in the past about a lot of issues.

I know there are “out of reach” passes tho. I don’t know why these aren’t always used instead of “inaccurate” passes.

I’d also like to know why there are so many new animations but core gameplay aspects are still so bad, but that’s another puzzling topic on its own.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2021, 08:55 AM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
I think one of the issues with the ratings analysis is that I don't believe it really matters what we find and communicate to EA/Clint, or whoever is incharge of ratings/gameplay.

I say that because a few years ago there was an effort by someone (forget his name) to do exactly this. He was even on verge of being hired by EA or having them use his ratings in the game, but it got nixed. Just look at what Stayodd is doing now with his roster set. 1000 times better/more realistic than what EA produces.

EA rates their players the way they do for a reason. It's not to replicate sim football. It is to show off animations and create an exciting game on the field that will make people jump out of their seats and say "did you see that??!!??" This does happen today but usually for all the wrong reasons.

As mentioned, they could use the more realistic ratings as well as have "look at that" moments in the game, but they just have not put it together yet. I wonder if Clint and others at EA would look at a game with Stayodds roster, or a set with Khalib's examples, and offer up their opinion?

C

This is a good point.

EA's roster ratings (in particular Madden) are way too high. In my opinion it makes the game unplayable.

There's nothing more frustrating than the cpu's 4th string WR who's an overall 79 destroying your slot corner who's an overall 84.

In reality that 4th string WR would be more like a 55-65 depending upon the team and how they value the WR position. There's a reason why he's 4th string.

That's why I do a MAJOR roster overhaul before I play Madden. Yea, it might take me 2-3 weeks, maybe even a month to start my franchise because I'm so busy editing my rosters, but it's much more enjoyable playing the game. The ratings are too high.

There needs to be more of a variance differential between the bottom tier players and the Elite/generational top tier players. There needs to be very very few overall 90+ players (20-25 at the most, MAYBE 30) and a WHOLE BUNCH of players between the ratings of 40-70. As a matter of fact. The majority of your roster should be players between 40-70. I'd say like 20-25% of your roster should. Because in reality, that's how it is. Especially if you're a cheap franchise that doesn't like to spend money on its players. That's why the bottom of rosters turn over damn near weekly in the real NFL.

For instance I had a Giants franchise on Madden 19, in year 5 of my franchise I had an overall 64 LT, 77 LG, 72 center, 58 RG, 53 RT. This is reality in the NFL for a lot of teams. You have 2 "Good" players, 1"decent" player, 2 "Bad/young/developmental/cheap" players. That looks a lot more realistic than let's say if I had an 84LT, 97LG, 92 center, 78RG and 73 RT.

Some games, I did well with Saquan and my QB stayed upright, other games, I got destroyed when playing an elite DL. I had to really scheme it up when I played the eagles or the cowboys. It was truly a challenge knowing that Demarcus Lawrence had a +30 advantage over my rookie RT, so I had to scheme it up and keep the RB in to help block or keep the TE in to help block to bootleg away from D-Law's side.

To conclude, the only way to truly get a real simulation games is to edit the roster FULLY from top to bottom. I'd say All-Pro with edited sliders are the way to go as well.

I could go on but I could do this all day lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »