Home

Turn off X-factor stuff

This is a discussion on Turn off X-factor stuff within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2021, 06:56 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Turn off X-factor stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Why do so many of you insist on lying?
Because exaggeration drives agreement, and ultimately that's what a lot of this is about: validation. The real question is: why do so many people need validation for their opinions about a game? I can't help you there.

As to the topic, it's always interesting to me how much video game people are willing to accept in their video games. It's not just a Madden or even a sports game thing...across genres, "arcade" has become a pejorative. You see people complaining about it in everything from PC grand strategy games to RPGs to literal arcade platformers.

Of course, the meaning of "arcade" differs from person to person, since that question of how much video game people are willing to accept in their video games varies. Nobody knows what it means, but everybody agrees it's terrible...basically, it covers "anything that I personally find too gamey".

Personally, regardless of the genre, I don't think I've ever managed to fully convince myself that I'm not playing a game, and I'm actually an NFL coach or a Roman general or a deep-space fighter pilot. So it's fascinating to me the degree to which different people are willing and able to suspend different levels of disbelief, and how irritating elements that cross those lines are.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:01 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I like the extra animations and the player distinctiveness that SS abilities help bring out, but I do wish Madden would go the route MLB The Show has gone by giving gamers the option of playing with a clean screen.

I don't see why the option to toggle the graphical indicators off shouldn't be offered. I'm fine w/ the idea of me having to know as a coach who the SS and XF guys are on the opposing team, and I'm also fine with me having to discern in-game when those players look like they're "in the zone."

I just think it's about options. The more you give the individual gamer, the better.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:36 PM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
This isn't even possible. Between X-Factors and Superstars you can have no more than something like 175 players equipped with abilities in a franchise. Between active rosters and the FA pool the game has thousands of players.

Why do so many of you insist on lying?
Why are you making exaggerated claims that you know are not true? Sure, only 75 players can be SuperStar (by default). SuperStar abilities are always active. X-Factor abilities are not. But you know that. You just want to make trivial statements in an attempt to prove a point that you know is irrelevant, maybe because you disagree with the direction of the game, or (most likely) you don't like people that don't absolutely hate the game.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:32 PM   #20
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Ironically if they had just called them traits and never had any on screen indicators of them while having the exact same functionality, no one would be castigating them with hyperbolic pejoratives, IMO.
Oh so you think it being impossible to throw an interception after you complete a few passes is okay as long as there are no arcady indicators?

I actually completely soured on them when I read the QB ones hoping to find something that distinguishes QBs. It was nothing but power ups.

EDIT - What traits for QBs SHOULD be like:

- Ability to make off platform throws without losing accuracy on short passes

- Ability to make off platform throws without losing accuracy on deep passes

- Ability to throw at any arm angle (as it pertains to a video game, that would help with throwing out of a sack or not getting passes tipped at the line so much)

- Ability to suddenly stop or jump and still make an accurate pass (which will be useful to people who just run around and throw)

- Super fast release

You know, things actual real NFL QBs do. As opposed to being impervious to interceptions.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.

Last edited by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞; 01-17-2021 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:03 PM   #21
MVP

mm boost's Arena

OVR: 12

turned it off on M20 after Jamal forced 6 fumbles in the same game. I nearly put my controller through my 75" Vizio P Series Quantum.

Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »