Home

Free agency logic

This is a discussion on Free agency logic within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-11-2021, 10:32 AM   #25
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Free agency logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hshaw810
Lol both was basically pushed out the door. Stop rewriting history. They would have never left in the prime of their career after winning a SB
If memory serves me correctly(i'm old lol), Payton didn't even play in 2011 because of his neck injury. He had a boat load of cash due to him unless they waived him. It was also not lost on them that Andrew Luck was on his way to the NFL as well. I agree that wouldn't ever happen to Manning and Brady in their prime. But, I'm glad it does to Baker in the video game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2021, 11:19 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Levy
They won the Super Bowl with their backup QB when their starting, franchise QB (who had looked like an MVP caliber player) was injured.

No one expected the Eagles to dump Wentz and retain Foles. Nor should they have.
You’d be surprised at the amount of Eagles fans that wanted Foles over Wentz
Old 01-11-2021, 12:47 PM   #27
All Star

UFCMPunk's Arena

Quote:
Smh i cant believe that man tried to use the foles situation to defend the bs that madden puts out lol.
In Madden 20, Dak, Mahomes & Watson would always be in the free agency pool after their contracts were up then sign 1 year deals lol. This is why I'm glad we can edit contracts, the AI is terrible at salary cap management, they don't use the Franchise Tag or 5th year options. I just edit the contracts to help keep it realistic.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:05 PM   #28
Rookie

Quote:
Lol both was basically pushed out the door. Stop rewriting history. They would have never left in the prime of their career after winning a SB
Brady wanted out, you could tell his mounting frustration from the lack of talent on that offense. This year they started practice squad tier WRs and we saw how that turned out- no need to compare Brady vs. Cam either...NO QB would have been able to succeed with those WRs and TEs.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:38 PM   #29
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I hold a few thoughts in mind simultaneously:

1 - people get too attached to names when attempting to evaluate CPU logic, especially when players in real life outperform their Madden ratings. We need to talk about this not as "the CPU let Baker Mayfield walk", but rather as "the CPU let an age 25 OVR 78 QB with Star dev walk" (at least, this is how Baker was on the launch roster). I don't know that we should say it's a lock that the CPU should keep that OVR 78 Star QB player in abstract. One could argue that's a "paying for competence / high-floor low-ceiling" situation. Washington recently let Kirk Cousins walk because they didn't want to pay him top-dollar; it's not unheard of.

2 - There are problems with how Madden CPU teams handles roster building. The CPU too aggressively re-signs players with Normal development at non-QB positions and doesn't plan ahead to let marginal players walk to be replaced by developing cheaper draft picks. This hamstrings their ability to pay top dollar to their best players, so free agency becomes a treasure trove sometimes.

3 - The CPU has to aggressively re-sign its Normal development players because it is too easy to strip-mine CPU teams for assets in trades (something Tiburon apparently is addressing in the March update?), and also because the concept of compensatory draft picks (which are generally awarded to a team when a player it does not resign signs a high-value contract elsewhere) does not exist in Madden.

4 - CPU teams have very little logic to cut high-price aging players / overpaid players, and the concept of salary cap carry-over (a device teams use in real life to carry unused cap space over into the next season) does not exist in Madden. This means that for the first couple seasons (with the authentic cap hit contracts used by the default rosters), CPU teams are often strapped for money, frequently going over the salary cap during the first offseason especially. Teams over the salary cap in Madden can still play games, but they can't sign any players and have a very difficult time re-signing players. Which means their best young players end up in free agency rather than those teams intelligently making tough calls on older players.

The long and short of it is that - between missing features / overaggressive logic / logic making up for other deficiencies - there are a fair number of problems in Madden's CPU team building logic that need to be untangled to get it into a more competitive place.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:18 PM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I hold a few thoughts in mind simultaneously:

1 - people get too attached to names when attempting to evaluate CPU logic, especially when players in real life outperform their Madden ratings. We need to talk about this not as "the CPU let Baker Mayfield walk", but rather as "the CPU let an age 25 OVR 78 QB with Star dev walk" (at least, this is how Baker was on the launch roster). I don't know that we should say it's a lock that the CPU should keep that OVR 78 Star QB player in abstract. One could argue that's a "paying for competence / high-floor low-ceiling" situation. Washington recently let Kirk Cousins walk because they didn't want to pay him top-dollar; it's not unheard of.
I agree with pretty much everything you laid out. However, I think comparing Cousins situation to this is a bit different considering (1) Baker's age when they let him leave in FA, and (2) he was coming off a Super Bowl win.

Again, I think we can all agree team building logic needs a lot of work.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:18 PM   #31
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhawk03
I agree with pretty much everything you laid out. However, I think comparing Cousins situation to this is a bit different considering (1) Baker's age when they let him leave in FA, and (2) he was coming off a Super Bowl win.

Again, I think we can all agree team building logic needs a lot of work.
Yup. Add context / narrative to the list of things Madden's roster building logic doesn't consider, haha.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2021, 11:59 PM   #32
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Osprey
For what it's worth, if you turn off salary cap, it helps with the CPU resigning key players.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Operation Sports mobile app
They will also be way more aggressive in FA. Sal Cap off and injuries off is the best thing you can do if you want to make the on the field game more challenging especially if you are going to play more than a year or two.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »