Home

Saying Goodbye: The "I'm Officially Done with Madden" Thread

This is a discussion on Saying Goodbye: The "I'm Officially Done with Madden" Thread within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 10:06 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 8
Saying Goodbye: The "I'm Officially Done with Madden" Thread

Madden is, has always been, and always will be one of the most hyped video game titles. We all heard about it from a young age, whether at elementary school, just paying attention to online media/newspapers, or just being introduced by a family that is passionate about football.

I turned just 11 years old in 2004. That's when Michael Vick was the cover boy of Madden. That's about the same time people started getting pissed off when the opponent would unfairly use their scrambling QB, who was of course, Mike Vick. Vick was like the only player you could use to that type of advantage. Now it's like half of the league's QBs.

Madden has improved dramatically in the last 15-20 years. But how could it not? As time passes, the barriers of technology are no more and the creators of Madden are able to implement things like: the hit stick/truck stick, QB playcalling vision, superstar X-factors, and you name it (etc. etc.)

I thought Madden 21 was pretty damn good myself. I had skipped out on quite a few Madden games over the previous decade. I did get 20, however, and liked it. Madden 21 I liked even better. I think this year's game was a fairly strong indicator of the positive momentum the Madden series should continue to pick up throughout the next 3-5 years.

For all of the pros and cons this game had, I thought it has slowly developed into a pretty good football experience, and that's especially as graphics/player movement/player contact has gone.

Simply put, I'm just bored of Madden. There are other games I enjoy more and those are games involving topics that don't interest me anywhere near the way football does.

I think for people like myself though, it's just that I was never really infatuated with Madden to begin with. I know there are a lot of people like this out there.

I'm speaking more of the people that never truly LOVED Madden football...because I know there are also too many of us that have gotten sick of it, that once did love the game more than anything.

I'm not one of those people. How would you describe your journey with Madden as it comes to a close?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2021, 11:52 PM   #2
MVP

prey2god's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Saying Goodbye: The "I'm Officially Done with Madden" Thread

Sound like you just grew out of it. I'm 42 and been playing Madden since 94. You would appreciate it more if you played from those games till now.

It's not perfect, but it's improving. There were different teams involved throughout the years just like with QBs dealing with carousel of coaches, Madden dealt with carousel of teams. Setbacks will happen and only time will tell.

Besides, there are no other NFL games. As the saying goes, beggars can't be choosers.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:21 AM   #3
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I wish the OS forums had the functionality that is on some other forums now, where you can instantly put a thread on ignore. It takes two seconds to click and it can't be gone from your brain in a flash. Instead you have to see a nonsensical thread like this every time you come in the Madden forum for quite a while. Yes I'm keeping it on the front page by posting in it, but because I can't immediately render it invisible, the inanity of it's very existence compels me to comment on it. I need that modern software to save me from posting in terrible threads.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:54 AM   #4
Banned

Madden isn't the same like it used to be 10 years ago im glad we still got ncaa football around

Sent from my SM-G960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 01-26-2021, 04:01 AM   #5
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLASFan
Madden isn't the same like it used to be 10 years ago im glad we still got ncaa football around

Madden was trash 10 years ago. Madden on the 360 and PS3 was a disaster. Improvements were so incremental that it wasn't even worth buying the next one.

Madden 10 was ok, 11 took a huge step back, but 12 was the best of that generation. Other than that, to put it nicely, it was pretty bad.

Once we got to PS4 and XB1, improvements were starting to get more noticeable year over year. 17 introduced much better WR/DB play. 18, 19, were decent. And 21 was pretty good.

The only thing the last gen was lacking was realistic locomotion. They never seemed to be able to get it right.

Now with Madden 21 on PS5 and XSX, the player movement is astronomically better than last gen. In short, Madden 21 on PS5 and XSX is the best Madden since the PS2/Xbox days, and I think it's even better. Which is just my opinion.

Yes, there are many things that need improvement. The on-field gameplay is at a point where they can keep making refinements to make it better as we move on this new generation. With them now focusing on Franchise mode, I expect the game to get to a high quality level within the next few years.

I feel like not only are they on the right path, but it's finally leading to an end of that path where the game will be universally praised. The renewed focus on gameplay and franchise mode is leading us down a great path going forward.

But in the end, if you don't like Madden that's fine. Some people will never like it no matter what they do, and that's ok. If you haven't played next-gen Madden, I highly recommend you do before writing the game off. Especially after the first patch that fixed DB play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2021, 04:14 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
Madden was trash 10 years ago. Madden on the 360 and PS3 was a disaster. Improvements were so incremental that it wasn't even worth buying the next one.

Madden 10 was ok, 11 took a huge step back, but 12 was the best of that generation. Other than that, to put it nicely, it was pretty bad.

Once we got to PS4 and XB1, improvements were starting to get more noticeable year over year. 17 introduced much better WR/DB play. 18, 19, were decent. And 21 was pretty good.

The only thing the last gen was lacking was realistic locomotion. They never seemed to be able to get it right.

Now with Madden 21 on PS5 and XSX, the player movement is astronomically better than last gen. In short, Madden 21 on PS5 and XSX is the best Madden since the PS2/Xbox days, and I think it's even better. Which is just my opinion.

Yes, there are many things that need improvement. The on-field gameplay is at a point where they can keep making refinements to make it better as we move on this new generation. With them now focusing on Franchise mode, I expect the game to get to a high quality level within the next few years.

I feel like not only are they on the right path, but it's finally leading to an end of that path where the game will be universally praised. The renewed focus on gameplay and franchise mode is leading us down a great path going forward.

But in the end, if you don't like Madden that's fine. Some people will never like it no matter what they do, and that's ok. If you haven't played next-gen Madden, I highly recommend you do before writing the game off. Especially after the first patch that fixed DB play.
Hell no madden 12 was the worst ever madden 11 was the best imo madden 20 was the 2nd worst having LBs jumping in mid air catching balls Madden 21 was a huge increase other than that it aint better than the old generation of madden football hell to top it off ncaa 14 is the best football game alive atm

Old 01-26-2021, 07:21 AM   #7
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLASFan
Hell no madden 12 was the worst ever madden 11 was the best imo madden 20 was the 2nd worst having LBs jumping in mid air catching balls Madden 21 was a huge increase other than that it aint better than the old generation of madden football hell to top it off ncaa 14 is the best football game alive atm

Why was Madden 12 the worst Madden ever? I think most would agree it had the best Franchise mode of the whole generation. Are you talking about gameplay? I think most would agree that 12 was pretty damn good. But you're entitled to your opinion.

However, I do agree that NCAA 14 was the best NCAA game ever. And in the top 10 of football games of all time.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:34 AM   #8
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

LOL people either loved 12 or hated it. Personally it’s one of my most played Maddens. It’s a shame they didn’t build on that franchise mode with today’s improvements in gameplay. I hate all that XP stuff.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »