Home

Frustrated with the lack of penalties

This is a discussion on Frustrated with the lack of penalties within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Frustrated with the lack of penalties

I know it’s far from perfect, but overall I think Madden 21 plays a pretty good game of football with the right sliders/tweaking/rosters. The one glaring issue I have for this game to be a reasonable simulation of real football is the complete lack of penalties, both in total number and types of penalties. The Super Bowl was a great example of what an important part penalties can play in a football game. Seems no matter what I do, I typically can’t generate more than 3 to 5 penalties per game total between both teams. Usually, most those are roughing the passer. Seems like this would be so simple for EA to fix, yet it’s never addressed in a patch. No matter what I do with sliders, nothing seems to help. I didn’t have this problem last year (although I know some types of penalties are seldom if ever called). Thinking about going back to Madden 20. Why can’t EA get this right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2021, 06:41 PM   #2
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Frustrated with the lack of penalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1903
I know it’s far from perfect, but overall I think Madden 21 plays a pretty good game of football with the right sliders/tweaking/rosters. The one glaring issue I have for this game to be a reasonable simulation of real football is the complete lack of penalties, both in total number and types of penalties. The Super Bowl was a great example of what an important part penalties can play in a football game. Seems no matter what I do, I typically can’t generate more than 3 to 5 penalties per game total between both teams. Usually, most those are roughing the passer. Seems like this would be so simple for EA to fix, yet it’s never addressed in a patch. No matter what I do with sliders, nothing seems to help. I didn’t have this problem last year (although I know some types of penalties are seldom if ever called). Thinking about going back to Madden 20. Why can’t EA get this right?
Unfortunately EA tunes this game geared towards competitive play as it’s unable at this point to separate modes where it’s noticeable. Competitive and H2H simply don’t like penalties and as EA stated there not fun. The latest patch has left me with so few penalties that I might as well shut them all down. I hate the direction but it is what it is.This has also made its way to NG Madden . You will get some responses that say they get 10+ penalties a game so find out their formula
Old 02-10-2021, 08:11 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
AWR is crucial in the penalty die-roll, and with most starters having elevated AWR ratings, penalty triggering is lowered.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:15 PM   #4
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Honestly you get alot more penalties doing play now vs franchise games. It almost seems like 2 different games sometimes the way it differs in gameplay and sliders.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2021, 09:05 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 0

Seems like at one point they wanted to tie penalties to coaching adjustments, then sorta just left it hanging there without really ever developing the coaching adjustment system nor how/why penalties occur.

Lack of holding calls is really bothersome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2021, 06:43 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Khaliib - Have you ever tried to lower everyone’s awareness to see how it impacted penalties called? If so, by how much?

edaddy - I assume NG Madden is Next Gen? If so, I hadn’t heard that. Wonder if it’s true.

Also, if EA is so concerned with satisfying the competitive and H2H communities, why don’t they simply put in a on/off switch for penalties so the rest of us could play a realistic game of football?

Last edited by jb1903; 02-11-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:47 AM   #7
Rye
Rookie

Rye's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Khaliib - Have you ever tried to lower everyone’s awareness to see how it impacted penalties called? If so, by how much?

edaddy - I assume NG Madden is Next Gen? If so, I hadn’t heard that. Wonder if it’s true.

Also, if EA is so concerned with satisfying the competitive and H2H communities, why don’t they simply put in a on/off switch for penalties so the rest of us could play a realistic game of football?
Curious if a lower awareness rating would help with more penalties but I'd be wary to edit them too low. Might cause some wacky (not so smart) AI.

I feel like this plays into the game styles. There's a reason Competitive has limited or barely any penalties because everyone knows the H2H crowd hates em. But even according to Clint, penalties "are not fun" and they're pretty much just dice rolls for a certain animation to trigger. They could tune them to happen more often but I'm sure they'd get some bad feedback by the casual players who still play on Sim. I feel like EA would have to come up with a whole other solution to have a realistic amount of penalties but with the developers more focused on Competitive play, I doubt we'll see that anytime soon. This is kinda in the same line as having bad snaps go over the QBs head. A lot of sim players wanted that but Clint said it's one of those things, it'd be a dice roll and if you happened to have 4 or 5 in a game it just wouldn't be fun and it's like the game is punishing you for no reason. Than he stated they could have a mechanic for it, but no one would want to have to do a in game mechanic almost 60 times with no real reward.. just to be punished with a bad snap if you mess up once.

In my opinion, I'd love to see more penalties but from a design standpoint I don't see EA making a change. Seems like they have them tuned low by design.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
AWR rating is coupled with Penalty Trait (+/- any Penalty Slider alterations) to decide “how often” a penalty die-roll will trigger (context will not always be there)

It’s a double edge sword dealing with AWR as it is used across all their gameplay formulas, some requiring AWR to be on the Upper end of the scale (ie OL for faster targeting etc) others on the Lower end for the Penalty aspect.
- Generated OL have low AWR which triggers greater penalties, but suffer in both Pass/Run Blocking as the low AWR negatively “modifies” even their good BLK ratings in the formula.

Same for...
- AI Zone Coverage
- QB Progression Speed and Throw Trajectories

Many of their ratings have multiple functions dealing with gameplay and need to be separated out so gameplay actions/outcome changes can be more specific and not bleed over into other aspects.

Hopefully for NG, the use of Next Gen Stat platform gives them the ability to untie ratings (of course this is dependent on not a con’t of building from a CG Port Over) lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »