Home

Something I rarely see being talked about..

This is a discussion on Something I rarely see being talked about.. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2021, 10:13 PM   #17
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Something I rarely see being talked about..

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
pulling guards often block nobody
To be fair to what you are seeing, I do still see pulling guards have brain farts, especially if I don't stay behind them. It's really easy to overrun pullers on plays like Power and completely screw everything up.

Honestly, I think the biggest thing that has helped the OL moreso than any AI changes is just the fact that everyone on the field has slowed down, so there's less pressure to just sprint out in front of a play past your blockers. I find that having patience as a runner, particularly with the sprint button, helps me on gap-running plays. Which, I realize that that's something people has said about Madden for years, but I think it's actually true now?

Hopefully Tiburon continues to work on blocker targeting going forward because I think there's still work to be done here.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:36 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 0

Blocking targeting sucks in franchise because almost no one has the 90+ AWR it takes to make them good at it.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:34 AM   #19
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
To be fair to what you are seeing, I do still see pulling guards have brain farts, especially if I don't stay behind them. It's really easy to overrun pullers on plays like Power and completely screw everything up.

Honestly, I think the biggest thing that has helped the OL moreso than any AI changes is just the fact that everyone on the field has slowed down, so there's less pressure to just sprint out in front of a play past your blockers. I find that having patience as a runner, particularly with the sprint button, helps me on gap-running plays. Which, I realize that that's something people has said about Madden for years, but I think it's actually true now?

Hopefully Tiburon continues to work on blocker targeting going forward because I think there's still work to be done here.

I started a franchise with a power run scheme, which is new for me. I’ve always been a spread team utilizing zone runs, so the only real issue I had running the ball were that on zone plays, linemen frequently double team when they don’t need to and often don’t get to the second level, leaving linebackers completely unblocked. Now running more power plays and such, I’m seeing more of the issues like mentioned, especially what you said.

Someone mentioned earlier that they just target what they see in front of them. I actually had a couple of plays where a pulling guard stopped and tried to block someone behind me. Not very often, but enough to make me think it’s not just a run straight ahead and hit whatever you see.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:31 AM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I don't think I've ever seen a guard pull the wrong way. The only issue I see semi-consistently is the FB blocking nobody on a play. Outside of that I think the run blocking is the best it has been in the series, honestly.

I actually have Run Blocking turned down to 8 right now in my sliders because the Run Blocking is too good at default. I may even lower it further than that because I'm still running the ball a little too good it seems, but I'm using some 2002 rosters and Washington had a good OL and Portis is rated a 96 in them, so that's probably a part of it also.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Clinton Portis did not play for WAS in 2002
Old 02-18-2021, 10:33 AM   #21
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boedefeld
Yeah I believe he played for Denver in his first 2 or 3 years.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2021, 11:36 AM   #22
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Blocking targeting sucks in franchise because almost no one has the 90+ AWR it takes to make them good at it.
Can't speak to franchise, but I think that might be accurate across the game. I haven't run the numbers, but it feels that there are more highly rated front 7 defenders than oline men. There are definitely more ss and xf abilities for defenders than OL which have a tendency to blow up plays as they were intended to.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:19 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boedefeld
I misspoke. I've been playing with 02 and 05 rosters. Simple mixup.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 02-21-2021, 06:02 PM   #24
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Zone schemes are better anyway. And for the record I believed this BEFORE the 49ers hired Kyle Shanahan.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »