Home

The key to having a fun long lashing franchise?

This is a discussion on The key to having a fun long lashing franchise? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2021, 10:06 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: The key to having a fun long lashing franchise?

I do two things, mainly.

1. I play on AM with Hunkerdown's sliders. AM gives me a smarter CPU opponent while also respecting ratings & matchups.

2. Playing on AM with good sliders allows me to play balls-out and not handcuff myself in any area, which is key to me for long-term playability. I tend not to enjoy gaming experiences with lots of house rules.

I find that this approach yields a great experience. It's very challenging to win 10 games a year, and playoff games are also tough to win. I've won the SB with a lesser OVR team and have been ousted with an elite team.

That keeps me coming back. I assembled an 87 OVR team, easily the best team I've ever had in Madden, and I lost in the playoffs to send me home in YR1 of my 2YR window.

I find that the salary demands of top players in FA are very realistic, which makes it hard to just go pluck top guys year after year. My experience has been that you can splurge on a couple key pieces when your'e in your window, but the salary implications are than you'll have a 2-year window, 3 max, until you have to deal with the ramifications of your signings.

If you want to apply some house rules, you can:

Limit yourself to scouting all 3 attributes for day 1 players and 1 attribute for day 2 players, or something like that.

Limit the # of FA you sign in particular talent tiers.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:47 AM   #10
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

I just finished year 4, won SB with Lions. My record overall 31-33. 4-1 in playoffs.

Beginning of each season I have one simple edit to keep teams challenging. Any player 90+ on a roster gets Xfactor. This has helped keep teams around and challenging. Because I have noticed that madden strips a lot of these prime 90+ players for some reason once offseason regression hits. I like some of the other things mentioned as well. Might implement a few.

PSN: TheGritsBlitz
Twitch: TheGritzBlitz
Old 03-04-2021, 11:46 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

Currently 12 years deep in my Franchise. A couple of house rules I implement are:

Only trade players via trade block. I implement that rule trading for and away players.

I resign and negotiate with players during the season. Not waiting till the end of the year.

In resigning my players, I go into the Salaries menu, and resign my players to a similar value of what the CPU are signing similar rated players at that position. If I own the highest rated player of that specific position, I will purposely give them the highest valued contract.

No manuel trades - which also means, no trading up in the draft.

No custom draft classes.

These rules have allowed me to be on the "same playing field" as the CPU in my team building. I've noticed most teams,including myself, are hovering around the same overall.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2021, 11:55 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Personally, the only way I can stay interested in any sports game is to for it to be a constant challenge. Game 100 needs to demand the same focus that game 1 did. If I ever hit a point where I can coast and see success, I'll instantly lose interest.

I am not one that is against house rules, I've used plenty over the years, but if I am spending more time limiting myself than actually playing, then I'll also lose interest.

I also will lose interest if the game loses any semblance of being grounded for the sake of a challenge. If I have to give the CPU unrealistic abilities just to have a chance, I'll lose interest.

Taking all of that into account, I craft my own sliders that attempt to make every game a challenge. I limit myself to doing only what the CPU can do. I don't hot route since they don't route, I don't try and make every play a juke highlight reel since the CPU only uses special moves occasionally. I try and stay away from or limit plays that I know work too well.

I sim all practices so that my team does not receive any development advantage over the CPU. I never try to fleece anyone with any trade. I keep my trade counts realistic. I don't go into year 1 and make 12 trades to revamp my roster. I don't go and sign offer every best free agent on day 1, though I think the free agency aspect has gotten better for the CPU. It still needs more work, but it is better and the CPU actually makes an effort to go after stars so you can't hog them.

I also do not play the game too much. I usually only ever play one game at a time. Right now I have no choice due to time constraints, thanks tax season, but when I have the time to play multiple games, I don't do it. I've personally learned that I actually stay engaged more when I force myself to wait to play my next game. It sort of creates the excitement I get in the real season when I anticipate the next game the second the last game in a week is over. When MNF ends, the wait for the TNF or Sunday games is something that builds anticipation and excitement. Limiting myself to one game per session actually builds that in my franchise to an extent.

It gives me time to reflect on my games, I'll spend extra time after an advance reading all of the news pieces. I go through the standings, look at the draft class, look at stat leaders, injuries around the league, etc. I take in all of the league info after my game and it is basically my own weekly recap show minus there being an actual show. This makes my seasons last a bit longer.

I remember as a kid I could do 2 seasons in a week if I wanted, maybe more. Now I'm taking 2 or 3 weeks just to get through a regular season and that actually allows me to appreciate my franchise more. It feels like an actual drawn out season.

As a kid, I'd start a year 2-4 and fly through the year. In a week or two I'd be through enough seasons to where I'm a top team and fighting for a SB. It never felt like a long process to build the team.

Now it may take me 3 months to get through 3 seasons before I even reach the playoffs. It makes the process of building the team and eventually finding success more rewarding and feel like an actual drawn out grind.

I enjoy spending 3 months to get through 3 seasons, taking in all info around the league, making each it's own special occasion, and building a team up much more than I enjoyed playing 3 games in one night and getting in multiple seasons in in one week. Now it feels like a real and enjoyable grind and when I find success it is much more fulfilling.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 03-04-2021, 10:19 PM   #13
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

OVR: 0

Do you play the actual games or just sim/coach mode them? If you don't mind not playing the games, I'd suggest NFL Head Coach 09. No sim madden engine will ever compare to it.

CPU teams stole your successful plays in your playbook and added them to their playbooks. That feature met with college playbooks from incoming college coaches and user created plays birthed a new meta evolution for playcallers across the NFL.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:57 AM   #14
Rookie

Richie71's Arena

One piece that is much better in 20 and 21 is the salary cap. Prior to 20, as long as you avoided crazy FA signings, you could build via the draft and keep all your great players. Whilst making no FA signings other than 1 year in-season scrubs, I find myself have to let stars go. Even to the point of running a roster of 40 something players, just meeting minimum position requirements.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:55 PM   #15
Rookie

I sim about 12-15 years into the future and play with an all fictional CPU-generated NFL. Typically a few current QBs are still around like Patty, L. Jackson, and Josh Allen but it's cool.

Overall the gameplay also just feels so much better and to get familiar with all the fictional players I edit the appearance and gear of the next week's opponent (look good play good) and use it as a scouting reporting to see who their stars are.

I've learned that I can't play with Real Players because I have preset expectations of their abilities and it's a game killer for me mentally lol.

I do the same thing for NBA 2k and MLB The Show.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2021, 03:11 AM   #16
Just started!

I was like this too for a long time... till I got into Online CFM. That's a whole new level of fun you should really consider. There's plenty of SIM based leagues out there that even cater to guys like myself who don't want to play that MUT garbage. It's just a fun time with likeminded individuals and really makes the experience more fulfilling

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »