Home

Modernizing the Base Defense in Madden

This is a discussion on Modernizing the Base Defense in Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2021, 10:39 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0

So I’ve been researching and tinkering with schematics in real football and Madden. And I think I’ve finally found something to take to my franchise mode. If anybody is struggling or overthinking Madden defense... I can share what I’m doing. Now this is hard pressed to work with H2H and maybe even MUT due to roster and depth chart restrictions but for offline chise, and maybe some online chise that allows realistic player movement this can be for you.

So I’m Tampa 2 guy at heart but I wanted to get more Multiple and exotic with my scheme and looks. I’ve been flirting with the 3-4 but I sucked at it and decided to go back to a 4-3.. but I wanted to find a way to create a lineup that can be in a 4-3 all the time.. base, Nickle, Dime, Empty. In created a playbook with all 4-3 base formations... over, under, odd, etc,.. I added zero nickle and dime formations. I simplified everything. Then I researched some Big 12 defenses and created a defense called “Rover”. It’s essentially an every down 4-1-6 Dime Defense (4 DL, 1 MLB, 2, DBs and 4 Safeties) within my 4-3 base defense. The keys are the OLB. Which what I do I convert oversized safeties (215+) to my OLB.. and MLB is the only pure LB of the bunch. This thing is a ton of fun. It keeps me in base all day with no worries, we just need to execute. The speed is ridiculous.... and the different blitzes, coverages and principles are a thing of beauty. I flirted with this in my Texans chise trading Watson to AZ for Murray and Simmons and converted Simmons to OLB and grabbed Jabrill Peppers and did the same .. omg... now ima start a real franchise with this gameplan and more different approach and realistic way of roster building in the modern nfl... if you guys are playing off line and want to get creative.. do some things like this to possible give you an edge by creating sub packages ALREADY built into your standard 4-3 or 3-4

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2021, 01:00 PM   #2
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Re: Modernizing the Base Defense in Madden

This sounds fun, and very effective, but I don’t find it realistic. Teams still role with traditional base personnel about 25% of the time. It’s true, most plays are run from nickel. But that’s about 55-60% of the time, and you definitely will not be seeing dime 100% of the time or even close to it. Not in the NFL anyway. Maybe this is what they’re doing in college (don’t really watch it).

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/st...-analysis-2019
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:14 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
This sounds fun, and very effective, but I don’t find it realistic. Teams still role with traditional base personnel about 25% of the time. It’s true, most plays are run from nickel. But that’s about 55-60% of the time, and you definitely will not be seeing dime 100% of the time or even close to it. Not in the NFL anyway. Maybe this is what they’re doing in college (don’t really watch it).

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/st...-analysis-2019

You’re misunderstanding and it’s very real. This is a built in base 4-3 that morphs into a nickle or dime depending offensive alignment

Old 03-07-2021, 01:26 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSonTL
You’re misunderstanding and it’s very real. This is a built in base 4-3 that morphs into a nickle or dime depending offensive alignment

Not to get into a time wasting discussion, but how is it real when no NFL team plays that personnel all the time?

If I’m misunderstanding please explain how, but if I understand it correctly, your defense is — every down — 6 defensive backs and 1 LB. If so that’s not really realistic.

Granted, there are some college tweener defensive backs that change to linebacker when they get to the NFL, but that is because while they had elite movement skills in college, in the NFL everyone is faster, so it doesn’t translate to what’s required to play DB in the NFL. So they switch to LB. But I’ve rarely seen an NFL defensive back with several years in the backfield switch to base down linebacker. Sure, in some dime fronts you might have a strong safety in the box, but he won’t be there on first down when the offense is in 22, 21 or 12 personnel. Teams will have beefier guys up front to take on and shed blocks for the run game.

So because of that it doesn’t seem realistic to me. Not for today’s game, anyway. Maybe in twenty years, who knows.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:28 PM   #5
MVP

That said, you could certainly call it cutting edge, since no one is doing it to this degree. Especially if it works. But if so, it would be one of those things that only work with truly special personnel, like the GSOT or Tampa Bay late 90s early 2000s defense.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2021, 09:05 PM   #6
Rookie

Testing this tonight
Old 03-12-2021, 11:26 PM   #7
Rookie

I already do something similar. For the past two or three years as spread has become more prevalent I will draft run support safeties and move them to linebackers. Although I just started Madden 21 next gen I'm already doing this playing with a custom 4 6 defense.

I find strong safeties work better as they generally have higher hit power and Better Block shed
Old 03-13-2021, 06:22 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbwilleo
Testing this tonight

How’d it go?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »