Home

Is stopping the run impossible? Need hep

This is a discussion on Is stopping the run impossible? Need hep within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2021, 09:17 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Is stopping the run impossible? Need hep

I’ve played almost 50 games H2H and any team that runs on me beats me. I use the patriots exclusively.

Ravens destroy me everytime but I’ve been using QB spy, contain, and option conservative to better results

Packers beat me if they run with Jones. He’s unstoppable. Prob best back in this game

Browns haven’t beaten me twice. They have the best duo of backs. Soon as I play the run, they throw to open receivers.

There’s open holes inside. Open lanes outside. I slant my linemen to where I think the runner is going. Not sure whether man or zone is better for the run. Also, idk how youtubers always shoot the gap. How do you know what gaps are open? I try to figure it out but I’m scared of getting beat on the pass
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2021, 05:42 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Is stopping the run impossible? Need hep

Stopping the run is not impossible although against a competent opponent using a good running team you might want to change your mindset from "stop the run" to "contain the run". You can surrender yards and still keep their score down so long as you don't give up any long runs. Giving up some first downs and a TD or two isn't going to beat you on its own unless you can't get any offense going at all in which case you are probably losing no matter what you do on D.

A corollary of this fact is that aggressive run D outside of situations where you must get a short yardage stop or have a shot at forcing them into 3rd or 4th down where they must pass is usually a mistake. This is true because attempts to create penetration vs. the run will create big play potential for the opponent. You will either offer them a cut back lane or an opportunity to burn you by running a constraint play.

If I'm facing a heavy runner they are going to get a healthy dose of Cover 4 in response. Having both safeties in run fits makes these calls the best all purpose run Ds in the game. I really like Big Nickel because your force and contain defenders will be your slot DB and FS. My user is always the Mike LB who will play the 3-rec hook (turn on auto-flip) and I don't freelance. Play your fit and your AI teammates will do good things for you. Freelance and you'll either get one of them blocked out of the play because the man you were supposed to take out is now free to climb to the next level or you'll get exposed when the HB cuts back through the gap you just vacated.

When I need to get a stop I'm still playing Cover 4 but I will hot route one or both of the force and contain defenders to blitz. I'm still usering the 3-rec hook and unless an irresistible opportunity presents itself I'm still playing my assigned gap. Don't get overly preoccupied with making the play yourself. Your AI teammates are actually better tacklers than your user outside of "open field" situations where the opponent can use ball carrier moves.

Blitzing the force and contain defenders will nullify those assignments. It's a conscious choice on my part to surrender the edge in an attempt to create penetration which isn't specific to any one particular offensive play call nor do I put 100% of the burden for making the play on my user which is what the YouTube set ups get you. It can blow up in your face if you guess wrong as to which player to blitz and the offense calls an outside run to that side but if you need a short yardage stop you must take chances.

Understanding where your preferred front(s) are vulnerable and knowing what DL shifts can do for you is also very useful. Like I said I use Big Nickel as my base D. This is an over front by default so on the interior I've got a 1-tech to the weak side and a 3-tech to the strong side. This leaves me vulnerable to weakside Inside Zone or strong side Power as either call will double team my interior DL at the point of attack. If I know what's coming Big Nickel gives me the capability of shifting to either an Odd or Under front at my discretion.

It's also possible for the offensive formation to create vulnerabilities. For example an opponent can force me out of Big Nickel with a strong run scheme out of most 2 TE formations which make use of a wing TE (Wing Slot, Wing Stack, etc.). Those TEs are almost always going to do a better job against DBs with force/contain responsibility than WRs would. If my opponent has the right combo of scheme and personnel then I may have no choice but to drop down to 3-4 (I use Over and flip after the huddle breaks if I want Under instead).

As a final remark part of your problem might be your chosen team. The Pats' interior DL are hot garbage.

Last edited by stinkubus; 03-14-2021 at 05:47 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »