Home

Here's whats up with defense assist

This is a discussion on Here's whats up with defense assist within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2021, 10:42 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Here's whats up with defense assist

M21 has been out awhile and while most people probably figured it out others might not have.

Previously L1/LB on defense made your player automate and it was great for people like me that are either not good at defense, or those that are good enough that it isn't fair for the AI. Now it locks your player into man coverage with the nearest receiver. A good feature but it should have been separate. Lazy EA.

There are two ways you can still automate your defense however. Thankfully.

The first is to select a defensive lineman, obviously that is the simplest choice. They remain automated while selected.

For whatever reason though, you might find yourself controlling the wrong player. Luckily there is no reason to panic. Just switch players after the snap, without touching any other buttons. Both your previous player, as well as the one you've now switched to will be fully automated again. Your first player will probably lose a step though, so try to stay on your dline.

Defense assist still has it's uses though, even for coach mode players.

Last edited by Unforeseenx; 04-11-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2021, 06:17 PM   #2
MVP

prey2god's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Here's whats up with defense assist

As a user of Defensive Assist button as a strategy in my franchise, this year's is broken.

Previously, you can hold it down and it would target the ball carrier whether it's the QB or whoever. Wherever the ball is, the player would target. This year's different. It instead plays man coverage.

What I do is I play on Pro custom sliders using Schnaidt's Pro sliders. I control Linebacker when I know it's a pass. Even if it's a run, i'll manually control him towards the running back and if i'm about a couple feet away, i'll use the Defensive Assist button.

When I know it might be a run i.e., QB under the center, I form, etc, i'll control the DB on the top of the screen *I play broadcast mode*. I won't manually control the player. I'll let AI take control. But I will adjust my DBs to bump and run, Linebackers to blitz, and let it fly. No need for defensive assist with this.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:38 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Here's whats up with defense assist

i play coach mode and if you dont hold rb the targeted player does nothing
i target my nose tackle hold rb but move towards qb. if you just hold rb the player wont use any of their moves etc

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »