Home

Legitimate reasons EA hasn't adopted All Pro 2K8s gameplay engine?

This is a discussion on Legitimate reasons EA hasn't adopted All Pro 2K8s gameplay engine? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 09:49 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Legitimate reasons EA hasn't adopted All Pro 2K8s gameplay engine?

EA vs 2K have very different styles and gameplay, and while it comes down to personal preference and what you enjoy, when comparing the two, APF clearly stands up or surpasses Madden in many aspects of gameplay, even when comparing today’s Madden vs APF 2K8. Here’s a clip I did comparing the drop backs of the two games, I used Madden 18 here but they are still using the same drop back in Madden 21, so the comparison still holds up.

https://twitter.com/2k_football_now/...773245440?s=21
Old 04-01-2021, 10:36 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milticket
Never was a huge fan of 2K's gameplay tbh & never really thought it was better, just different. I'm sure EA thinks what they have is better. I would've loved to see how it would of evolved thru the years. If anything EA should of obtained Backbreakers physics engine. No sports game around can touch it still to this day. Same tired core engine just with fancy names we get today.
THIS! ^^^^^^

That's the thing: 2k is different. And honestly, that's where most of the hatred towards Madden comes from. The exclusive license just severely limited your options. If 2K had the exclusive license, we would all be whining and complaining about 2k. Once upon a time, MLB The Show was the crown jewel of baseball games. Now that it is essentially the only one, we whine about The Show.

Madden will never be the 'great game' we want it to be because Madden's core will never change. It's basically like having a steak. You can cook the steak a 1000 different ways, but if all I am eating is steak, I'm going to get bored with it.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:45 AM   #11
Rookie

Dblock1111's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkills
Yeah, never was a fan of 2K's button-mashing sprint mechanic. It's not fair to compare a 14-year-old game to what is being offered on PS5 or Series X but since it is being compared, I pretty much guarantee I can hook my 360 back up and put in All Pro 2K8 and be like "Holy crap, I can't play this; it's garbage."

But to each their own.
Idk man, I still play 2k8 every now and then on RPCS3 since my 360 died, but every time I boot it up it just feels great. Blocking schemes work like should in real life, OL/DL interactions look and feel realistic, throwing trajectory looks, feels, and plays correctly. The graphics are a bit dated but that's not a deal breaker for me.

The one thing ill give you is the button mashing sprint, that didnt age well. But, on the flip-side, I love the ability to "charge" your move. Yeah it's a little gamey, but it really gave that feeling of loading up for a truck stick, or really driving some extra oomph into a deep throw.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2021, 11:10 AM   #12
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

I think Madden went off the rails when game speed became adjustable.

How do you quantify that? How does that translate to player ratings? Is it like the difficulty level? (All-Madden.. All-Pro).. does everything just incrementally jump across the board?

Strictly as a playing functional football game, the PS2-era was rock solid. Not perfect, we can easily name some annoyances, but it had the best feel.

.. I really can't speak to 2k products. I wish I had given 2k5 more time, given the absurd amount of features.

At this point, with gameplay being unimpressive in every way, just give me a great coach/management game.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:23 AM   #13
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennylc321
THIS! ^^^^^^

That's the thing: 2k is different. And honestly, that's where most of the hatred towards Madden comes from. The exclusive license just severely limited your options. If 2K had the exclusive license, we would all be whining and complaining about 2k. Once upon a time, MLB The Show was the crown jewel of baseball games. Now that it is essentially the only one, we whine about The Show.

Madden will never be the 'great game' we want it to be because Madden's core will never change. It's basically like having a steak. You can cook the steak a 1000 different ways, but if all I am eating is steak, I'm going to get bored with it.
Hopefully public outcry will make the NFL realize their rabid fanbase deserves better.

And I can't agree with your overall premise. If there was competition, 2k would fill the voids EA was missing, and vice versa. We need look no further than 2k V M2005 as proof of that.

And at the "core" of Maddens fanbase is a loyal following, over 3 decades, BEGGING for the product to improve. We want steak. They're selling us 20 year old, rotten, beef jerky.

Last edited by Madden08PCgmr; 04-01-2021 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #14
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

It is April fools day, but that doesn't change a thing.

And here we go again.........

This tastes great, less filling mantra has been going on since 05.

People loved 2k and people love Madden, there is nothing in between.

Maybe, just maybe, with 2k entering the market again, competition will bring out the best in companies.

Let the games continue and the back and forth.

This coming from someone who hasn't touched Madden in 60 days, which is highly unusual for me.lol

Last edited by roadman; 04-01-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:50 PM   #15
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

I might be misremembering but way back in the day when both games were great, 2k seemed to adopt a gameplay idea of looks over control while EA was all about giving the players complete control on the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2021, 02:36 PM   #16
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
I think Madden went off the rails when game speed became adjustable.

How do you quantify that? How does that translate to player ratings? Is it like the difficulty level? (All-Madden.. All-Pro).. does everything just incrementally jump across the board?

Strictly as a playing functional football game, the PS2-era was rock solid. Not perfect, we can easily name some annoyances, but it had the best feel.

.. I really can't speak to 2k products. I wish I had given 2k5 more time, given the absurd amount of features.

At this point, with gameplay being unimpressive in every way, just give me a great coach/management game.
www.reddit.com/r/NFLHeadCoachSeries

CPU teams stole your successful plays in your playbook and added them to their playbooks. That feature met with college playbooks from incoming college coaches and user created plays birthed a new meta evolution for playcallers across the NFL.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »