Home

Oline Archetype

This is a discussion on Oline Archetype within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2021, 10:12 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Oline Archetype

Does it really matter for power running vs zone?

I'm maybe understanding things wrong but it seems to me that power blocking doesn't actually mean a thing for power running.

A power run is a play with a designed hole for the RB to attack. This is usually accomplished by a lead block out of the backfield, and/or with a guard pulling out of his position and move to the intended gap to create the hole. This requires speed. Not a 300 lb lumbering hulk.

What am I not understanding?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2021, 11:45 AM   #2
Pro

Re: Oline Archetype

Honestly, I don't think any of the archetypes matter; I think it is merely window dressing. I changed my team's scheme or whatever they call it but the player rating did not change.

It is a great concept but it does not seem to have any effect on the game.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:44 PM   #3
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennylc321
Honestly, I don't think any of the archetypes matter; I think it is merely window dressing. I changed my team's scheme or whatever they call it but the player rating did not change.

Change the scheme is not supposed to change the player rating, scheme is about showing how many players on your roster fit will in that particular style of play.

Calling it window dressing and saying that archetypes don't have any effect on the game is 100% false.

If a player has a higher power archetype rating as an olineman then it means that his power blocking ratings are higher than finesse ratings and when you call what the game considers power run plays the chances of defenders shedding or disengaging from that blocker is lower than with finesse blockers.

It's clearly discernable when you play the game. Start five agile olinemen with low power ratings and call a bunch of dives and whams or other power runs and watch those guys get blow up a large percentage of the time.

The same is true for every archetype for every position, you can clearly see player struggle or have success depending on their archetype in relation to what plays you call and the ratings(archetype) of the players they're going against.

It's fine if you don't like the system, but it works as intended and does a good job with what it's trying to do.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:42 PM   #4
Pro

Mbunn1993's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
If a player has a higher power archetype rating as an olineman then it means that his power blocking ratings are higher than finesse ratings and when you call what the game considers power run plays the chances of defenders shedding or disengaging from that blocker is lower than with finesse blockers.

It's clearly discernable when you play the game. Start five agile olinemen with low power ratings and call a bunch of dives and whams or other power runs and watch those guys get blow up a large percentage of the time.

There has been testing done and AFAIK with run blocking, RBK power and finesse has no effect on gameplay, only the RBK stat. The exact opposite being true for passing, with PBK finesse countering finesse moves & PBK power to counter power moves, with the actual PBK stat having no effect on gameplay.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:44 PM   #5
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbunn1993
There has been testing done and AFAIK with run blocking, RBK power and finesse has no effect on gameplay, only the RBK stat. The exact opposite being true for passing, with PBK finesse countering finesse moves & PBK power to counter power moves, with the actual PBK stat having no effect on gameplay.
I'm not going to argue, but this is simply not true.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2021, 04:11 PM   #6
Pro

Mbunn1993's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I'm not going to argue, but this is simply not true.
I’m pretty sure mutleaks has confirmed it, and they take every thing straight from the coding. There are 3 year old threads on this exact forum discussing this
Old 04-23-2021, 03:08 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennylc321

probably because it's no longer like madden 16 and doesn't change the rating lol. Players play different in schemes, for instance if I use the browns, their scheme is a base 4-3 which utilizes zone corners according to the game. Their corners are not fit for zone coverage and it shows. The lack of scheme fit had an impact on how these players perform. When i changed their defense to a base 3-4 where the corners are better in man, it had an noticeable impact on their defensive abilities in man or zone coverage.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:10 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I can't access the EA code, so I could be wrong, but here's my sense:

In the default roster, many OL are more or less equally proficient in both power and zone blocking. As you progress in franchise mode, drafted players are typically much better at one or the other; very few are really good at both.

What this means is that you might have a drafted OL w/ 75 power and 67 finesse, or vice versa. It's hard to bring that OL up to speed in both areas (though not impossible). So, effectively, you wind up having to make play calls that work with the archetype of your OL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »