Home

No way the A.I. should be subpar in this powerful machines

This is a discussion on No way the A.I. should be subpar in this powerful machines within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2021, 06:11 PM   #9
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: No way the A.I. should be subpar in this powerful machines

No matter how powerful a console or PC is, someone still has to code it. AI is one of the single most hard things to program. What you see as inexcusable simple AI is actually extremely complex logic and code.

Not excusing anything, but just providing a programming look at why AI isn’t out of this world. It is so so difficult to get right.

Last edited by TheBleedingRed21; 05-05-2021 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:32 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
No matter how powerful a console or PC is, someone still has to code it. AI is one of the single most hard things to program. What you see as inexcusable simple AI is actually extremely complex logic and code.

Not excusing anything, but just providing a programming look at why AI isn’t out of this world. It is so so difficult to get right.
I agree to a certain extent. Some AI can be very complex and can affect how other parts of the game play out.

However, there are some simple AI changes that could be made. Two minute drill is one of them. I can write pseudo code for this in about an hour.

Other examples of easy CPU changes are play calling. This is also situational and with proper analysis and logical progressions, this too can be pretty easily changed. At a minimum, they can fix the brain dead choices that are sometimes all too prevalent.

Again, not minimizing how complex some AI can be, but there are opportunities for EA to make big strides in a number of areas that would not be a huge investment in time and effort for them.

C
Old 05-05-2021, 06:33 PM   #11
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8

I'm no expert on this subject by any means but I have played the Mass Effect games 🙃 but is A.I. as in Artificial Intelligence even the correct term for it? From what I understand, A.I. is a machine thinking and learning like a living organism. Wouldn't the correct term be Virtual Intelligence as the CPU is following preset paths (if X happens, then either Y or Z happens based on ratings/dice roll).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2021, 06:52 PM   #12
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
I agree to a certain extent. Some AI can be very complex and can affect how other parts of the game play out.

However, there are some simple AI changes that could be made. Two minute drill is one of them. I can write pseudo code for this in about an hour.

Other examples of easy CPU changes are play calling. This is also situational and with proper analysis and logical progressions, this too can be pretty easily changed. At a minimum, they can fix the brain dead choices that are sometimes all too prevalent.

Again, not minimizing how complex some AI can be, but there are opportunities for EA to make big strides in a number of areas that would not be a huge investment in time and effort for them.

C
Cool man, I’m sure you can. But if you’re more than a hobby programmer, you’ll agree there’s no discussion in the complexity of AI (let alone sports AI) LOL. Play calling Logic, two minute drill? Sure, anyone can program simple logic (we even have non programmers modding this logic on the PC side, really not what I was referring to). If you’re referring to decision making, tree branching for gameplay, totally different story. Sports AI is the reason for so little indie sports games.

Again, just another perspective to look at, never said all logic is impossible to code lol. I thought OP was referring to on field AI.

Last edited by TheBleedingRed21; 05-05-2021 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:58 PM   #13
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Cool man, I’m sure you can. But if you’re more than a hobby programmer, you’ll agree there’s no discussion in the complexity of AI (let alone sports AI) LOL. Play calling Logic, two minute drill? Sure, anyone can program simple logic (we even have non programmers modding this logic on the PC side, really not what I was referring to). If you’re referring to decision making, tree branching for gameplay, totally different story. Sports AI is the reason for so little indie sports games.

Again, just another perspective to look at, never said all logic is impossible to code lol. I thought OP was referring to on field AI.

I am talking about on the field A.I. and difficult levels.i also added off the Field AI in my second post.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #14
Banned

Just for clarification, I have over 30 years in the IT industry and have been a systems programmer for Prodigy Services and IBM. My background is Computer Science, so I am not really a hobby programmer.

Quote:

Sent from my Pixel using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-06-2021, 12:22 PM   #15
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm not saying the A.I should be perfect but it should be a whole lot better by now.

The baby steps EA takes each generation is so played out and the baby should be grown up by now.

Your the only NFL so called sim on the market what's wrong with taking a risk ain't like we going anywhere anyways I just don't get it.

Last edited by simbayless; 05-06-2021 at 12:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2021, 08:21 PM   #16
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbayless
I'm not saying the A.I should be perfect but it should be a whole lot better by now.

The baby steps EA takes each generation is so played out and the baby should be grown up by now.

Your the only NFL so called sim on the market what's wrong with taking a risk ain't like we going anywhere anyways I just don't get it.
It's an arcade game in terms of gameplay. Sim only applies to the fact that it is replicating real teams, players, venues, number of players on the field and quarter length (options). Not even the rules and the way they are applied are sim. Don't get caught up in the whole "sim" thing with this game. It's the NBA Live of football games. In spite of the bugs and glitches, still lots of fun to be had actually if you can forget about "sim."

But yeah the AI is horrible, and it requires you to either use your imagination or suspend disbelief to accept its actions at times. This is consistent with arcade games in basically every genre.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »