Home

Edge Rushers and Depth Charts in Madden

This is a discussion on Edge Rushers and Depth Charts in Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2021, 08:43 PM   #1
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13
Edge Rushers and Depth Charts in Madden

In editing rosters, I've encountered an issue, and I'm wondering how folks navigate this.

In the NFL, defenses spend most of the game in nickel or dime. In Madden's depth charts, the left end and right end are usually the starting DEs. However, what do you do when you have 3-4 base teams, who use their OLBs as the edge rushers?

For example, Jadeveon Clowney is listed in Madden as an OLB, but in reality, he is a pure edge rusher; he isn't used to cover passes (<3 pass targets in the last 3 seasons).

In Madden, since he is a starting OLB, he remains at OLB, and the AI doesn't put him in at either the RLE or RRE depth chart spots.

Is it more accurate to change his position to DE in Madden, since there is no edge rusher designation?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2021, 01:57 AM   #2
Rookie

Richie71's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Edge Rushers and Depth Charts in Madden

Keep him at OLB in base, and put him at DE in the sub packages.

Most 3-4 AI teams in Madden will have one or both of their OLBs as the DEs in the sub packages.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:25 AM   #3
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie71
Keep him at OLB in base, and put him at DE in the sub packages.

Most 3-4 AI teams in Madden will have one or both of their OLBs as the DEs in the sub packages.
Do you know which archetype the AI looks at for LBs to determine who to put in the RRE/RLE spots? I fired up my CFM and noticed that when I auto-reordered my depth chart, it did put one of my OLBs in the spot. He is a 79 speed rusher, but was shown as a 72.

I thought maybe it was the power rusher archetype (he is a 70 I think) because that is what they use for the DE who is in the other spot.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:27 AM   #4
Rookie

The CPU usually does a fairly good job of making the DEs the rush DTs, and the OLB the Rush DEs in 34 schemes, however it is not perfect. Sometimes they will leave 34 end as Rush end or a pass rushing OLB as a linebacker. I'd say they are good most of the time with it though.

Another thing is what year are you in? Is Tennessee still running 34? It's possible they hired a new coach and changed their scheme if it is after year 1. The CPU does not seem to convert OLB to DE when switching to 43. So maybe that is the problem.

Either way I suppose you could just change him to a DE. If they switched to 43 then I would definitely do that. Also, If you are offline you could take control of the team and re-set their depth chart instead.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:34 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
Do you know which archetype the AI looks at for LBs to determine who to put in the RRE/RLE spots? I fired up my CFM and noticed that when I auto-reordered my depth chart, it did put one of my OLBs in the spot. He is a 79 speed rusher, but was shown as a 72.

I thought maybe it was the power rusher archetype (he is a 70 I think) because that is what they use for the DE who is in the other spot.
It depends on the team from what I have seen. Most usually have one speed rusher and one power rusher. But some have 2 speed rushers or 2 power rushers. Some teams call for a speed rusher at DT.

Basically the only way to see is trial and error. You would think that if you change your scheme it would match up with your scheme... But it does not and it doesn't really make sense
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2021, 11:36 AM   #6
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by burth179
It depends on the team from what I have seen. Most usually have one speed rusher and one power rusher. But some have 2 speed rushers or 2 power rushers. Some teams call for a speed rusher at DT.

Basically the only way to see is trial and error. You would think that if you change your scheme it would match up with your scheme... But it does not and it doesn't really make sense
It's not controlled by scheme? I was about to go in and test with different ones.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:46 AM   #7
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by burth179
The CPU usually does a fairly good job of making the DEs the rush DTs, and the OLB the Rush DEs in 34 schemes, however it is not perfect. Sometimes they will leave 34 end as Rush end or a pass rushing OLB as a linebacker. I'd say they are good most of the time with it though.

Another thing is what year are you in? Is Tennessee still running 34? It's possible they hired a new coach and changed their scheme if it is after year 1. The CPU does not seem to convert OLB to DE when switching to 43. So maybe that is the problem.

Either way I suppose you could just change him to a DE. If they switched to 43 then I would definitely do that. Also, If you are offline you could take control of the team and re-set their depth chart instead.
I'm in year 2, Titans still runnig a 3-4 under Vrabel.

Clowney is in at RLE (great), but 301 lb Jeffrey Simmons is in at RRE (not great).

Old 05-06-2021, 11:52 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
It's not controlled by scheme? I was about to go in and test with different ones.
It does not. Test yourself by changing scheme. The RRE, RLE, and RDT do NOT change as far as the OVR displayed. Your base defense does change as far as scheme fit is concerned, but not the nickel/dime positions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »