Home

Next Gen only features: Heads Up

This is a discussion on Next Gen only features: Heads Up within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 08:54 AM   #33
Rookie

loungefly85's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Next Gen only features: Heads Up

At what point can we start calling it current gen and last gen?
Old 06-18-2021, 08:57 AM   #34
Rookie

KTBFFH's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Maybe there’s something with the proprietary storage on the new consoles that next-gen Madden requires? Can’t think of any possible technical reason why we wouldn’t have feature parity between PS5 / XSX / PC otherwise, certainly there would be no issues speaking to rendering or RAM.

Not a PC gamer, no intent to start a console war; just speculating based on how much the storage architecture for the PS5 in particular was sold by Sony as a game changer for asset streaming / load times / etc.
Microsoft and Sony marketed the storage leading up to release as the biggest game changer, and I’m not saying it isn’t a massive improvement over last gen, but what it amounts to is just a nvme solid state storage. These have been mainstream in gaming PCs for the last 5-6 years, and have been around in high end PCs for longer.

The fact is, on an RTX 3080, you could run “next gen” madden at 144 FPS in all likelihood depending on optimization. AMD’s high end GPUs would be similar. I own a PS5, and it isn’t even close in capability to a gaming PC I built in early 2019. Not trying to flame here by any means, but facts is facts.
Old 06-19-2021, 04:38 PM   #35
MVP

Gritblitzer's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
You can believe what you want. My 10700k, RTX 3080, and 32 gb of RAM can easily run circles around any of the consoles out right now.

You're right that the PC version likely doesn't bring in the sales to make it worth their while to do much work on the PC version. I won't argue that as I've been saying that.

However, you're wrong if you think the PC gamers here on OS don't have machines that are more powerful and capable than any of the new consoles.

Also, given how optimized the Frostbite engine is graphically speaking, it likely wouldn't require a very powerful card to run the next gen version on PC. You can run the current PC version maxed out essentially on some pretty old cards because, again, Frostbite is an incredibly well optimized engine from a graphical standpoint.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Same build as me! I literally uograded 3 months ago! Yes, these computers run far smoother and faster (and imo wirh the right settings even LOOK better) than next gen consoles. I can agree here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #36
MVP

eric7064's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritblitzer
Same build as me! I literally uograded 3 months ago! Yes, these computers run far smoother and faster (and imo wirh the right settings even LOOK better) than next gen consoles. I can agree here.
Who is disputing that? PCs have always been better by performance. It's just expensive and thats why consoles have that huge more affordable market. It's also 1 piece of hardware compared to the build of a PC.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:40 AM   #37
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric7064
Who is disputing that? PCs have always been better by performance. It's just expensive and thats why consoles have that huge more affordable market. It's also 1 piece of hardware compared to the build of a PC.
We're responding to the guy doubting people here have PC's that are more powerful than the new consoles.

Quote:
SO, I don't buy the argument that your gaming PC is equivalent. Sure, it'll run circles around the PS5 (doubtful) but it'll cost way more money. Fact.
For whatever reason, people on the internet seem to think that absolutely nobody was ever able to secure these new consoles or new PC parts. Demand for these products is more than it has even been before, that is why we are having shortages. It's not because hardly any consoles were made. These consoles, and newer graphics cards and other PC components, are literally selling better than any of their predecessors ever did. The demand is still sky high after that fact, that's why we have these shortages.

Too many people act like there's only 2,000 PS5's or 100 RTX 3080's out there in the wild when the truth is that there are millions and millions of next gen consoles already out there in homes. More already in homes than any other console generation was able to see this quickly even when there weren't shortages like this before.

I know you didn't ask for all of that, but I went off on a tangent anyways. As for the pricing of a console vs a PC. Yes, consoles are much cheaper, obviously, but in the long run for me personally, my PC costs significantly less per minute of use than my console ever will. That's something that is practically forgotten 99% of the time when discussing costs. It's no different than buying a new video game versus a movie ticket. Yea, the video game initially costs 4x the price of a movie ticket, but the movie ticket at $15 will get you 2 hours of entertainment at $7.5/hour. Depending on the video game, say Madden, getting through just 1 season after 20 hours of gameplay has the cost at $3/hour and you're likely going to get so much more playtime that the game eventually cost you less than even $0.50/hour.

My PC may cost $2,000, but I get 40 hours of use out of it every single week easily. My console gets 10 hours of use in a week if I'm lucky. Do the math and you'll see that even after just 1 week with the PC it is already cheaper per hour than the console is and that difference only grows bigger and bigger over time, even if you include the cost of the utilities involved in operating the PC.

I don't know why I went off on these tangents, but I did. I know you didn't say much to dispute or challenge much of this, so don't take it personally. To answer your initial post, we're countering what the guy said when he doubted the PC's here on OS are more powerful than the new consoles even though the consoles were already outdated tech-wise when they launched, which they practically always were. This isn't a PC vs console war, either. I'll like always buy at least one console every generation forever, so hopefully it doesn't go down that road.

― Plato
Old 06-22-2021, 07:23 AM   #38
Banned

OVR: 21

What is this next gen thing everyone is talking about??? Are there new gaming machines that are considered next gen?? I have not seen any...

C
Old 06-22-2021, 10:58 PM   #39

ChicagoChris's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
We're responding to the guy doubting people here have PC's that are more powerful than the new consoles.

For whatever reason, people on the internet seem to think that absolutely nobody was ever able to secure these new consoles or new PC parts. Demand for these products is more than it has even been before, that is why we are having shortages. It's not because hardly any consoles were made. These consoles, and newer graphics cards and other PC components, are literally selling better than any of their predecessors ever did. The demand is still sky high after that fact, that's why we have these shortages.

Too many people act like there's only 2,000 PS5's or 100 RTX 3080's out there in the wild when the truth is that there are millions and millions of next gen consoles already out there in homes. More already in homes than any other console generation was able to see this quickly even when there weren't shortages like this before.

I know you didn't ask for all of that, but I went off on a tangent anyways. As for the pricing of a console vs a PC. Yes, consoles are much cheaper, obviously, but in the long run for me personally, my PC costs significantly less per minute of use than my console ever will. That's something that is practically forgotten 99% of the time when discussing costs. It's no different than buying a new video game versus a movie ticket. Yea, the video game initially costs 4x the price of a movie ticket, but the movie ticket at $15 will get you 2 hours of entertainment at $7.5/hour. Depending on the video game, say Madden, getting through just 1 season after 20 hours of gameplay has the cost at $3/hour and you're likely going to get so much more playtime that the game eventually cost you less than even $0.50/hour.

My PC may cost $2,000, but I get 40 hours of use out of it every single week easily. My console gets 10 hours of use in a week if I'm lucky. Do the math and you'll see that even after just 1 week with the PC it is already cheaper per hour than the console is and that difference only grows bigger and bigger over time, even if you include the cost of the utilities involved in operating the PC.

I don't know why I went off on these tangents, but I did. I know you didn't say much to dispute or challenge much of this, so don't take it personally. To answer your initial post, we're countering what the guy said when he doubted the PC's here on OS are more powerful than the new consoles even though the consoles were already outdated tech-wise when they launched, which they practically always were. This isn't a PC vs console war, either. I'll like always buy at least one console every generation forever, so hopefully it doesn't go down that road.
I get what you are saying and I used to do a fair amount of PC gaming. Heck, the PC I am typing this on is custom built.

That being said, it comes down to support. If you are a PC gamer, you know the deal with disparate hardware and multiple drivers. It's not in EA's best interest to do a PC version. Although the sales are not public, what percentage of folks do you think really bought the PC version? I bet it's under 5%
Old 06-22-2021, 11:22 PM   #40
Pro

OVR: 5

Could it have anything to do with pirated games? Why put resources in something that so many can steal
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »