Home

EA needs to hire a former QB to assist on next gen passing AI.

This is a discussion on EA needs to hire a former QB to assist on next gen passing AI. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2021, 05:42 PM   #1
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

OVR: 0
EA needs to hire a former QB to assist on next gen passing AI.

This would be a complete overhaul on the random QB Madden has used since it's infancy, but an improvement that should've happened years ago.

Here's an example of what I'm asking for:

Offense has 2 WRs on each side, shotgun with a HB.
Defense has 2 high safeties, in a 3-4.

Both outside WRs have Fade routes, both inside guys have quick out routes and the HB has a angle route.
The inside WRs have a OLB lined up in man to man.

The QB AI should focus on the safeties immediately post snap. If they show cover 2 the QB AI would know not to go to the quick out without having to make the read, and could hit the cover 2 fade route quickly.

If the safety drops into mid zone with only 1 high safety, showing cover 3, the QB AI would know it has a 1 on 1 matchup with both outside WRs, speed leverage with the inside WRs vs OLB, and potentially enough space for the HB angles route if the OLB is quick enough to cover the inside WR.

This would require individual play AI, that would promote a "Playbook Knowledge" stat. Guys like Brady and Mahomes would excel and young guys like Tua Tag wouldn't have the full grasp of the AI for each play, but would have a first read AI as a start.

If it's in the game, it should be in the game. (Also would improve realistic stats)

Last edited by TheButter; 07-15-2021 at 07:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2021, 06:04 PM   #2
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: EA needs to hire a former QB to assist on next gen passing AI.

You have the problem backwards. It's not difficult at all to program an AI that will make these kids of checks. After all, playbooks are premised on the "If he does X, you do Y" series of reasoning. They could (and have) made qb AI that utterly shreds your defense because it makes the perfect reads. The trick is in figuring out how to tone that down to make more mistakes and be realistic and fun.

In other words, making a smart QB is easy. Making a dumb QB is hard.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:39 PM   #3
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
You have the problem backwards. It's not difficult at all to program an AI that will make these kids of checks. After all, playbooks are premised on the "If he does X, you do Y" series of reasoning. They could (and have) made qb AI that utterly shreds your defense because it makes the perfect reads. The trick is in figuring out how to tone that down to make more mistakes and be realistic and fun.

In other words, making a smart QB is easy. Making a dumb QB is hard.
Could you give me an example of the coding? I primarily play older Maddens with graphic mods but have played Madden 20.

Is it just "Smart" AI for success on a video game or smart AI tailored for football success?

Last edited by TheButter; 07-15-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:59 PM   #4
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

The AI doesn't read coverages I don't think at least post snap. It may have a 1st read programmed in the logic but I think it's just a defender vs receiver calculation. And I think it's modified by accuracy. If you bump up the accuracy slider the CPU will make more tighter throws.

Also since coverages are pretty awful especially in regards to TE they get wide open pretty easy and the QB will pass there a ton.

If you drop a lineman into coverage when they're supposed to rush the AI doesn't know how to handle it. It will often just sit there and take a sack.

It all seems pretty binary in regards to how it plays and for sure needs an upgrade. Hopefully with more resources going to CPU AI some advances will be made to make them play smarter.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2021, 10:16 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
The AI doesn't read coverages I don't think at least post snap. It may have a 1st read programmed in the logic but I think it's just a defender vs receiver calculation. And I think it's modified by accuracy. If you bump up the accuracy slider the CPU will make more tighter throws.

Also since coverages are pretty awful especially in regards to TE they get wide open pretty easy and the QB will pass there a ton.

If you drop a lineman into coverage when they're supposed to rush the AI doesn't know how to handle it. It will often just sit there and take a sack.

It all seems pretty binary in regards to how it plays and for sure needs an upgrade. Hopefully with more resources going to CPU AI some advances will be made to make them play smarter.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
I don't have Frosty up to look at it right now, and don't remember where I saved the QB files at, but there is a progression for the QB to go through, but it isn't like the QB looks at route X and specific plays. Essentially the QB first looks at the primary receiver, then they may look at the tallest receiver, etc.

It was hard to tune, and Sabo can back me up here. If you change what they target first you can introduce robo QB, if you change it another way you may introduce even more of the QB constantly backing up and up and up.

It's honestly too simplistic of a system. You can look at these things and the end of half/game management LUA's and you'll see why there are the issues that have persisted for year. The files are a mess and the logic is generally way too simple which leads to the AI being repetitively dumb.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »