Home

What About A Throwing Meter Like 2Ks Shooting Meter?

This is a discussion on What About A Throwing Meter Like 2Ks Shooting Meter? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2021, 10:57 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: What About A Throwing Meter Like 2Ks Shooting Meter?

I'll be honest: this year they've done the best job yet of differentiating between elite, good, average, and fringe talents at the QB position, both as a user player and when controlled by the CPU.

I play a lot as Carr but recently have played as Jones and Fitz and it's stunning how many throws Carr would easily make become narrow (or wide!) misses for Jones because the timing of the drop or the route or the type of throw was not exactly right. There seems to be a sliding scale whereby those lower guys have increasingly thinner margins for error than the better guys.

I'm really happy with where QB play is, at least for sim, offline, franchise play. I have no idea if things are different in other modes, but this is an area I don't want them to touch, personally.

I like options, especially once that can be toggled off, but I think the fundamentals of QB play are actually good this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2021, 11:30 PM   #26
Rookie

SOU7GLO's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom1990
Like someone else said, bring back the vision cone.

The vision cone was one of the best QB features. It made QB awareness matter. And you could use it to look off defenders. Elite QB’s could see the whole field, while mediocre QB’s could only see a fraction of the field. It should’ve never been removed. It should be optional.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:26 AM   #27
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOU7GLO
The vision cone was one of the best QB features. It made QB awareness matter. And you could use it to look off defenders. Elite QB’s could see the whole field, while mediocre QB’s could only see a fraction of the field. It should’ve never been removed. It should be optional.
I like the vision cone on paper, but controlling the QB's hands, eyes, and feet basically with two thumbs was too much. If they brought it back it would need to be redesigned around motion control in the controller itself IMO.

First person QB in VR would be the most interesting to me, but VR isn't really getting off the ground.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:13 PM   #28
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
I say add something like the old NFL Fever's read and lead feature.
they already tried that in madden 18 with target passing.

9/10 times you would just end up with a sack unless you have a godly oline.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:33 AM   #29
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

1. No.
2. The hoop in basketball doesn't move. Unless a receiver is running a curl, they are not static targets.
3. The throwing accuracy rating should account for this, and we also have sliders to adjust this further.
4. On Page 2 someone said that Madden players complain about a stale game but shoot down new ideas. I cannot speak for anyone but myself, yet I have been part of OS for a long time - longer than my current screen name. I can tell you that what a lot of us have asked for over the last 15+ years is to have a game that respects real football.
Lateral movement on blocks, which we have seen improve; pass protection and pass rushing that is equal to and better than 2k8; proper zone and man coverage techniques which show variations in skill level - not just having CB run routes for WRs and zone defenders "dumb out"; deeper and better plays and play calling; gap control on both sides of the ball; and all of this is just on the field and more.
We are not asking for gimmicky things. We want to feel like we are playing football, and football at a high level
5. People talk about the vision cone. This is a huge can of worms. I agree that it should have remained in the game as an option to turn on for those who like it. However, it is very divisive. A lot of players don't like the aesthetic of a flashlight on a QBs helmet. They also don't like having to make reads twice (both naturally as you play and making your QB go through those reads too. Furthermore, it was also mostly useless for top end QBs. They can see everything anyway, so why bother? You just give the screen a yellow filter, making it look like an episode of Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul when they cut to Mexico.
As a user who spent literally years practicing using the cone in 06 and 07 with Alex Smith, I got so good at it (but am probably trash now) that the accuracy bonus and my ability to fake out who I wanted to throw to made my friends ask for a house rule to play with it off. I was completing 80% of my passes or more. Center it before the snap, know your hot read and be read to snap to it if needed, but also your alert and your normal 1st read. I think you held L trigger and then pressed who you wanted to focus on after the snap while your QB did his auto drop back.
So, if I saw a WR isolated, I was ready to drop back and snap to him before I finished my drop so I could launch it. I knew my hot if I smelled a blitz. I knew first read if I didn't have an active alert, and who my #2 was to snap to if I didn't like my first read. I never had to snap to my #1 if I didn't see what I wanted as a user.

The fact that I had to go through all of that for a small accuracy bonus was also tedious. Especially when 2k8 delt with accuracy and throwing on the run far better than Madden ever has.

Was it cute? Was it a fun novelty? Yes, sure. There is nostalgia for it and I respect that people like it, but it was subjectively bad and most people turned it off - which EA knows because they have the data to back that up. Ian Cummings talked about this back in the Madden 10 days. I think he said something to the effect of how they would like to turn it back on (it was still buried in the code in Madden 10), but it wasn't worth the hassle of making sure something else didn't break it for a feature the vast majority never used. The consensus seem to have been "forget it, shut it off. It isn't worth it to enough people."

I am simultaneously nostalgic for it and play Xbox Classic Gen6 Madden for fun, but also don't miss it at all.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:24 AM   #30
MVP

OVR: 19

use back breakers passing mechanics along with 100% manual catching for offense and defense. more dynamic Qb gameplay I think has to do with the receivers. Too many aspects of the game are based on the automatic role of the dice.

for example: I think receiver and QB gameplay in MAdden is equivalent to playing with real fg% settings on in NBA2k. that's, why I use, the manual shot stick timing for shooting.

as far as throwing meter, that may work. I suspect that's how bullet passes, deep passes, touch passes work, we just cant see the meter.

I think a combination of being able to lead your receiver, and 100% manual catch will probably give you more dynamic results.

a better receiver has a wider range for being able to manual catch vs a receiver with a lower catch rating, factoring the defender rating will affect said manual catch window. The receiver position is also a place where a meter would be more logical
Old 09-25-2021, 02:15 PM   #31
MVP

prey2god's Arena

IIRC, didn't they already try this and the verdict was that it sucked? I remember they had something like this and they ended up taking it away in a patch like two months later LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2021, 04:57 PM   #32
Rookie

J.R.'s Arena

OVR: 4

The vision cone is about as far as an idea like this will ever get, and sadly EA would rather take it out than develop an off/on switch and maintain it’s functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »