Home

Team Building and Playbooks - Giants Offense

This is a discussion on Team Building and Playbooks - Giants Offense within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2021, 10:33 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Team Building and Playbooks - Giants Offense

In recent times I've become more interested the team building process and building custom playbooks, taking it a little deeper than just putting in the highest overall each time. I'm just starting a Franchise as the Giants (Live Start - Week 2) which should keep me busy until the Scouting Update comes out, maybe longer.

As a background, I play on All Madden, and typically win some lose some. I bought Madden 20 during Covid lockdowns in Australia, and now I play it far too much, whilst also watching loads of Football on top. Enough about me though..

Analysing the Giants Offence

I've attached three screenshots each with relevant attributes for the different offensive groups which give me an overview of strengths and weaknesses across the field.

QB - Daniel Jones is the only viable option and we will tailor our play to his strengths. He's good on his feet, and comfortable in Play Action. He can throw accurate short passes, and has the arm and accuracy to throw deeper passes, without it being a cannon. His midlevel passing needs work and he's poor throwing on the run, or under pressure. Mike Glennon is a different QB and hopefully won't be used. Brian Lewerke is a poor man's Daniel Jones, but a similar style so he will stay on the practice squad and may develop into a backup over time.

HB/FB - Saquon Barkley is a versatile weapon capable of catching out of the backfield, as well as running inside or outside. Devontae Booker is a capable backup although much less talented, and Gary Brightwell is stylistically similar to Booker. Dexter Williams is similar to Saquuon although needs plenty of development before being a useful option. Elijah Penny can block and carry efficiently from FB, Gillespia is more agile but less talented.

WR - We have an arsenal of weapons at our disposal. Golladay has no real weaknesses but is great aerially in 1v1 situations. Shepherd is an all-rounder probably best suited in the slot catching shorter passes. Slayton is more of a burner who will stretch the field, but can also line up inside. Kadarius Toney and John Ross have athletic profiles, but suspect hands. Toney has elite Change of Direction but poor release and route running. He will be best suited to sweeps and kick returns as his route running develops. Ross should only be used on the outside to stretch the field vertically. CJ Board is a great 6-3 athlete, but poor catcher - at 27 he has little development remaining. Collin Johnson is 6-5, 220 but a poor route runner. David Sills is similar to Board but slightly younger and can develop in the practice squad. Dante Pettis struggles with drops, and will also begin with the Practice Squad. He could be called up if Toney is injured at all this season.

TE - Evan Engram is an incredibly athletic TE capable of running all manner of routes. His hands aren't the best. Kyle Rudolph is more physical, and has a safe set of hands - he profiles as the redzone TE for us. Kaden Smith and Ryan Izzo will wait in the practice squad. Both are similar to Rudolph in terms of size.

OL - As a whole, our Line have a decent level of strength, although don't excel in terms of Blocking Ability. Thomas and Solder are our best run blockers, with Skura and Hernandez having similar ability. Gates, with 88 Awareness is our only viable Centre. Lemieux is our only other 80+ Awareness OL. Price has no glaring flaws, but isn't great, whilst Peart and Bredeson are younger guys who are good in some areas, but deficient in others.

Putting it all together

Based on our Analysis, we primarily want to be passing shorter distances to minimise errors from Jones and play to his strengths. We will also design option plays for him to utilise his Ball Carrying ability, and create indecision from defences whether to commit to him or Barkley. We want to stay away from mid range throws, but will go deep on occasion if the right matchup exists for Golladay or Slayton. Engram will be a big part of the passing game. We want to use his speed through the middle focusing on Drag routes. The goal is to get the ball out quick to avoid pressure on Jones. Rudolph will be used more as a red zone threat.

The running game will be predominantly through Saquon, and we will look to kick it outside, where Solder and Thomas can offer decent run blocking. Toney will be used on occasion to run sweeps, and I may utilise him as a Running Back late in games from time to time against tiring defenses. Gates will play at centre, with Skura and Hernandez at Guard.

Matt Skura's move to LG sees his overall increase from a 68 to a 73. We could see in the data that he was flawed at C, but well suited for a switch. Collin Johnson moves from WR to TE. At 6'6", 220 he's a little small, but given our short passing focus, he is a fine backup for Engram, as there will be minimal blocking expectations. His OVR moves from 69 to 72. Yodny Cajuste is signed as our 4th Tackle. We don't expect him to play often, but he has no glaring weaknesses and may develop a little.

Scheme Selection

The above gameplan leads us to using the West Coast Spread. A scheme quite similar to the Air Raid. It also aims to create opportunities to attack anywhere on the field. The QB will be both mobile and accurate, capable of passing inside or outside the pocket and under pressure to HB, FB, WR and TE all looking to get open quickly. The OL is mostly dedicated to pass protection inside for a clean QB pocket but the presence of rub blocking RT and LT means outside runs and QB option plays will also work well.

QB – Improviser
HB – Receiving Back
FB – Utility
WR – Slot
TE – Possession
C/G – Pass Protector
LT/RT – Power

Playbook Selection

In the interim, we will be using the Falcons playbook, due to it being designed for the same scheme, and having a multitude of plays which support outside runs and shorter passing. I am working on a Custom Playbook currently designed specifically for Daniel Jones and the Giants offense.

Summary

Hopefully, someone found this interesting. Spreadsheets obviously aren't for everyone, but it's a great way to learn about your players, and put a system in place which plays to their strengths. If anyone is interested in the Google Sheets I use to assess the players, let me know and I will share it.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by davidmcain; 09-20-2021 at 10:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2021, 10:39 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Team Building and Playbooks - Giants Offense

Positional Analysis attached.

9FD567E4-1D40-4C74-8DC8-04FE51EFA090_4_5005_c.jpeg

0B7EE699-2558-4753-8144-6D00AC6AB2C4_1_201_a.jpeg

7122A1B6-EFD0-469B-9345-A6069EBC42C8_1_201_a.jpeg
Old 09-21-2021, 10:28 AM   #3
Rookie

As a Giants in very interested in this the Giants playbook is very basic and boring I think I might try this myself I tried making a custom playbook but it never works out the computer is always suggesting the same plays all the time

Sent from my SM-G975U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-21-2021, 11:27 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

This is super fun, nerdy stuff!

I love the idea of making a custom PB uniquely suited to your roster.

Does M22 still have that issue where creating a custom playbook jumbles the order of your formations?

I had held off on using customs for years due to that but haven't messed around with them this year to see if the layout issues have been solved.

I totally agree with your assessment of the Giants' roster. I really like Shepard, Engram, and Barkley as underneath options in the passing attack, and I love the idea of building a PB that uses Jones's mobility to maximum effect. There are some sprint out plays in the passing game that can leverage that ability, in addition to the read option plays in the run game.

Looking forward to hearing how this pans out!
Old 09-21-2021, 03:25 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueHominid
Does M22 still have that issue where creating a custom playbook jumbles the order of your formations?
Yes. Still unknown exactly what triggers it, because the behavior isn't consistent, but it does still happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2021, 06:52 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by giants5671
As a Giants in very interested in this the Giants playbook is very basic and boring I think I might try this myself I tried making a custom playbook but it never works out the computer is always suggesting the same plays all the time

Sent from my SM-G975U using Operation Sports mobile app
Give the Falcons Playbook a try. It's actually really well suited to the Giants. It's missing Option plays, which I want to use. But it otherwise fits this team really well.

Building playbooks can be a bit tricky tbh, you need to rate all the plays for it to generate the gameplan or it suggests the same ones repeatedly.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:01 PM   #7
Rookie

I have a playbook that i created, I think you can use. I’m a scheme fanatic(nerd). I created a wide zone scheme playbook where you can maximize Jones mobility as well as Saquans ability. Wide zone base, with PA bootleg to give you half field reads, or qb keep ability with Jones

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-21-2021, 07:07 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueHominid
This is super fun, nerdy stuff!

I love the idea of making a custom PB uniquely suited to your roster.

I had held off on using customs for years due to that but haven't messed around with them this year to see if the layout issues have been solved.

I totally agree with your assessment of the Giants' roster. I really like Shepard, Engram, and Barkley as underneath options in the passing attack, and I love the idea of building a PB that uses Jones's mobility to maximum effect. There are some sprint out plays in the passing game that can leverage that ability, in addition to the read option plays in the run game.

Looking forward to hearing how this pans out!
Thanks for your words. I don't normally go this deep into my saves, but it's a good way to really feel invested in what you're doing.

I'm going to write a Part Two shortly as well, but after playing a couple of games with the Falcons Playbook, I have a little plan in place for this season.

- Firstly, I'm going to remove a few of the dead plays I'll never use, and then add a handful of Option plays and RPO's so we can maximise Jones' ball running a little better. I think by default, there's a QB sneak in there, and that's it. I'll probably take the time to rate the plays so they come up as suggestions in certain situations.

- In the offseason, I'll build a book from scratch. I'm not too experienced at building them, but saw a good video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeqOF6QXDFk&t=26s) which outlines best process for doing it. The Madden School website has a playbook search function where you can see all the Formations in the game, and i've listed the ones I want (see below) - ended up with 30. Just need to spend some time selecting my Audibles and rating the plays.

829C3784-287D-49F3-9F03-59F1EA3F63FD_1_201_a.jpeg

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »