Home

Madden 22 Updated Scouting tips

This is a discussion on Madden 22 Updated Scouting tips within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2021, 04:48 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Madden 22 Updated Scouting tips

So I just went through 2 seasons of drafting. My 1 season was not amazing, but after realizing some patterns, I managed to hit on 7 of my 10 drafted players with star or better development in year 2.

4 of them were 2nd round picks, the other 2 mid 1st rounders, the other the 6th pick. I traded up for most of them.

Feel free to contribute:

- As with the past Madden, mark down every player who has any story written about them. Note that different stories appear in both columns and I'd expect to see maybe 30+ stories per season. Luckily they updated it so way more players now are also listed with their position.

- Go through every player in week 1 who is Day 3 or better and check their physical stats. This should take about 1.5 hours or so in total, but afterwards you are pretty much done till the combine and pro day.

- After going through the process below, I probably had around 75 or so players favorited WITHOUT EVEN LOOKING AT RATINGS at this point.

- Pretty basic process of elimination. You are in general looking for only the players with ELITE skills at certain categories. In general, the most important trait is SPEED and ACCELERATION. The only position I'd suggest otherwise is Oline which should be STRENGTH based. QB is about THROW POWER (unless you prefer running QB's).

- Anytime you see a story about a player, go back and look at their athletic skills. Athletic skills >>> Story, but I found many occasions where a player fell who had elite abilities.

- In general, I found after the process of elimination at most you should have maybe 5-6 players per position (as an example: 2 Day 3 guys, 1 or 2 1-2nd rounders, and 1 or 2 2-3 rounders). But in general depending on the class, it's very likely at certain positions you may only have 2-3 players at a position.

- Till they fix the bug: When you get the "focused scouting" they all need to be 3 people at the same position.

- Before you even get to the combine/pro day, you should be at least 80% sure who you are drafting OR waffling between 2 players with similar athletic abilities.

- Pro Day and Combine is where you finally make your decision. In general it'll be pretty easy to tell as I found plenty of times where a "red flag' from a player I loved's athletic ability made me put them off my board ("F stamina, D tackling, F stiff arm for HB's, D man coverage etc...).

- Notice what I haven't mentioned much? Ratings! A lot of your staffing will be dictated by the draft class NOT your actual needs. You may have a huge need at MLB but the class is poor so don't even bother. You have week 1 as the best opportunity to look at the entire class and see other than Tier 3 coach (who you will most likely make National Scout), where the best opportunities are for each of your scouts to go.

- But even assuming you do absolutely 0 scouting for a position and have them at 0%, with the focus on stories and looking at their pro/combine stats, it's fairly easy to see who the best players are.

There's a lot more, but really the biggest way to succeed is by Process of Elimination. Spending 1.5 hours going through each player's athletic abilities before you lock in your scouting makes it virtually impossible to not draft amazing.

A big difference from Bengal's video is I do emphasize how important those drafting stories are. Just from year 2 alone, I'd say 80% of the negative stories led to players with star development BUT 60-70% of those with positive stories were busts and had poor athletic ability and ratings.

I'll add more, but others feel free to contribute.

Last edited by BoomFranchise; 10-15-2021 at 04:50 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2021, 07:48 AM   #2
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Re: Madden 22 Updated Scouting tips

Second this except I’ll add that you should really focus on only a few positions if you want to maximize the info you get on each player, not waste a player focus/workout on a top ten guy unless deciding between two guys, and to very carefully set up your scouts early on to maximize info about the positions you plan on drafting. As OP said, you need to plan out your draft in terms of positions as soon as you have access to the prospects.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:09 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Second this except I’ll add that you should really focus on only a few positions if you want to maximize the info you get on each player, not waste a player focus/workout on a top ten guy unless deciding between two guys, and to very carefully set up your scouts early on to maximize info about the positions you plan on drafting. As OP said, you need to plan out your draft in terms of positions as soon as you have access to the prospects.

The game is glitched for some of us right now and I haven't been getting ANY scouting focus unless it's all from the same position. When it fixes I'll adjust my tips.

Yes, carefully setting your scouts depending on the draft class and the location fo the players is critically important.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:52 PM   #4
Banned

I can't emphasize enough how little it matters what your team needs are when scouting and more what the class gives you.

FA becomes even more important, because even if you have a need at WR or CB, the draft simply might not have anyone who is good at that position at ALL.

Like I said, spend an hour going through the draft class and marking favorites in week 1 and THEN decide your scouts for location and position. There is no other way.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:50 PM   #5
MVP

jerwoods's Arena

OVR: 1

great post
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2021, 01:52 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomFranchise
So I just went through 2 seasons of drafting. My 1 season was not amazing, but after realizing some patterns, I managed to hit on 7 of my 10 drafted players with star or better development in year 2.

4 of them were 2nd round picks, the other 2 mid 1st rounders, the other the 6th pick. I traded up for most of them.

Feel free to contribute:

- As with the past Madden, mark down every player who has any story written about them. Note that different stories appear in both columns and I'd expect to see maybe 30+ stories per season. Luckily they updated it so way more players now are also listed with their position.

- Go through every player in week 1 who is Day 3 or better and check their physical stats. This should take about 1.5 hours or so in total, but afterwards you are pretty much done till the combine and pro day.

- After going through the process below, I probably had around 75 or so players favorited WITHOUT EVEN LOOKING AT RATINGS at this point.

- Pretty basic process of elimination. You are in general looking for only the players with ELITE skills at certain categories. In general, the most important trait is SPEED and ACCELERATION. The only position I'd suggest otherwise is Oline which should be STRENGTH based. QB is about THROW POWER (unless you prefer running QB's).

- Anytime you see a story about a player, go back and look at their athletic skills. Athletic skills >>> Story, but I found many occasions where a player fell who had elite abilities.

- In general, I found after the process of elimination at most you should have maybe 5-6 players per position (as an example: 2 Day 3 guys, 1 or 2 1-2nd rounders, and 1 or 2 2-3 rounders). But in general depending on the class, it's very likely at certain positions you may only have 2-3 players at a position.

- Till they fix the bug: When you get the "focused scouting" they all need to be 3 people at the same position.

- Before you even get to the combine/pro day, you should be at least 80% sure who you are drafting OR waffling between 2 players with similar athletic abilities.

- Pro Day and Combine is where you finally make your decision. In general it'll be pretty easy to tell as I found plenty of times where a "red flag' from a player I loved's athletic ability made me put them off my board ("F stamina, D tackling, F stiff arm for HB's, D man coverage etc...).

- Notice what I haven't mentioned much? Ratings! A lot of your staffing will be dictated by the draft class NOT your actual needs. You may have a huge need at MLB but the class is poor so don't even bother. You have week 1 as the best opportunity to look at the entire class and see other than Tier 3 coach (who you will most likely make National Scout), where the best opportunities are for each of your scouts to go.

- But even assuming you do absolutely 0 scouting for a position and have them at 0%, with the focus on stories and looking at their pro/combine stats, it's fairly easy to see who the best players are.

There's a lot more, but really the biggest way to succeed is by Process of Elimination. Spending 1.5 hours going through each player's athletic abilities before you lock in your scouting makes it virtually impossible to not draft amazing.

A big difference from Bengal's video is I do emphasize how important those drafting stories are. Just from year 2 alone, I'd say 80% of the negative stories led to players with star development BUT 60-70% of those with positive stories were busts and had poor athletic ability and ratings.

I'll add more, but others feel free to contribute.

Just curious, do you use speed/accel for DTs too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2021, 03:44 PM   #7
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomFranchise
I can't emphasize enough how little it matters what your team needs are when scouting and more what the class gives you.

FA becomes even more important, because even if you have a need at WR or CB, the draft simply might not have anyone who is good at that position at ALL.

Like I said, spend an hour going through the draft class and marking favorites in week 1 and THEN decide your scouts for location and position. There is no other way.
I just can’t get myself to always take BPA. My teams are usually mostly where I want them, though. But even if I’m wrong, it’s really hard to resist drafting for need.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:20 PM   #8
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
I just can’t get myself to always take BPA. My teams are usually mostly where I want them, though. But even if I’m wrong, it’s really hard to resist drafting for need.
Yep, that's how I am even if it makes me a "bad" GM. If I can get an average player at a position of need then I will take him especially because I am philosophically against spending big in free agency.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »