Home

Old 10-17-2021, 01:14 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Man defense line up

How do you make all DBís & LBís line up with the man they are covering without manually moving them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Man defense line up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripp1p
How do you make all DBís & LBís line up with the man they are covering without manually moving them?

There's an adjustment you can do to man align the defense every play (or base align)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games
Old 10-19-2021, 01:24 AM   #3
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Madden's default defensive alignment rules should man align by default if you are playing man coverage. Base Align is not the default setting.

An important thing to note about those rules: in Madden, there is a hard and fast defensive alignment rule that if the offense splits out any player to one side of a formation and you call man coverage, a cornerback will get assigned to that player. For reasons I neither know nor understand, Madden strictly forbids linebackers and safeties from aligning over running backs and tight ends split out wide (which in turns limits the offense's ability to play formation games and diagnose coverages pre-snap).

In addition, the CB matchup coaching adjustments only swaps cornerbacks based on where they deploy in the formation. Setting your Coaching Adjustment to "by OVR" in this scenario will put your best CB on the best player among the flexed TE and trips-side #1 and #2 wide receiver, and a linebacker or safety will still match up with the #3 wide receiver.

Many clever Madden players will exploit this limitation by calling lots of passing plays out of these trips sets and deploy their best or fastest wide receiver in the #3 receiver to create a massive ratings mismatch.

An example: your opponent is using the Chiefs and calls a play in Gun Trey Y-Flex with Tyreek Hill as the #3 receiver. You respond to that formation call with any Nickel man coverage play available, let's go with Cover 2 Man. You also turn on By OVR CB Matchups. Your best CB will line up over Travis Kelce on the weak side, your other two CBs will line up over Mecole Hardman and Demarcus Robinson, and you Mike linebacker will match up with Tyreek Hill.

If you want to get a cornerback on the #3 receiver (Tyreek Hill) in this situation (and subsequently get your best cornerback on the best receiver with the By OVER in-game coaching adjustment), you have to call Dime, Dollar, or Quarter.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:46 PM   #4
Rookie

Thanks, but what Iím asking is, the safeties never line up over the man they are supposed to line up and sometimes not even on the correct side. They will line up as if I was playing straight to up and the safeties were in zone.

Old 10-19-2021, 10:14 PM   #5
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

On a per play basis, I think it's Triangle/Y then R1/RB to man align.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2021, 12:25 PM   #6
Rookie

ijumpedthegun's Arena

OVR: 0

Adjustments would be easier if the momentum factor boxes weren't covering the pre-snap menu. You've just got to memorize all of buttons for pre-snap shifts and adjustments, because it's totally blocked by the momentum graphic that you can't get rid of.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:49 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
On a per play basis, I think it's Triangle/Y then R1/RB to man align.

Thanks

Old 10-21-2021, 01:58 AM   #8
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripp1p
Thanks, but what Iím asking is, the safeties never line up over the man they are supposed to line up and sometimes not even on the correct side. They will line up as if I was playing straight to up and the safeties were in zone.

It sounds like you have your coverage set to Base Align by default.

I donít remember where the option is to change the default setting and Iím not in a position where I can check, but during a game at defensive presnap you can tap Triangle (Coverage Adjustment) then D-Pad Right to toggle between Base Align and Man Align.

Additionally, there is a defensive alignment setting found in the Coaching Adjustments menu during games. Make sure this is not set to Base.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »