Home

Best Madden and why ?

This is a discussion on Best Madden and why ? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2021, 04:11 PM   #25
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Best Madden and why ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheButter
The only thing that doesn't hold up is the lack of RPO's. The game just doesn't have that coding built into it. But, they have made dedicated run/pass RPO plays.
I played plenty of Madden 08, I ran a 32 team custom team franchise with it on PC a long time ago. Speaking strictly to on-field football strategy in comparison to Madden 22, Madden 08 doesn’t have:

- realistic locomotion, foot planting, and player velocities for players on the field (first introduced for the ball carrier in Madden 25, expanded over time to all 22 players on the field in subsequent games, especially the PS5 and Xbox Series X games)
- RPOs (introduced in Madden 20, iirc)
- properly executed run blocking schemes such as Duo, Power, Counter, Inside Zone, Outside Zone, and Split Zone (only present in PS5 / Xbox Series X Madden games)
- anything remotely resembling proper pocket formation (refactored constantly over time, Madden 15 was the biggest leap)
- Cover 3 Match pattern match coverage (introduced in Madden 17)
- Quarters pattern match coverage (introduced in Madden 18 or Madden 19)
- run fits (introduced in Madden 17)
- audibles tied to personnel grouping (introduced in Madden 21)

There is too much actual football missing from Madden 08 for me to even consider touching it at this point.

Additionally, Madden 08 does not have a number of gameplay controls and features I now expect from a Madden game, such as (off the top of my head) receiver catching controls, ID The Mike, spy crash, robust defensive hot routes, QB contain pass rush, ball hawk, Superstar X-Factor abilities (the Madden 08 Weapons system was purely cosmetic and didn’t actually impact gameplay in any capacity). Most importantly Madden 08 does not have online Franchise, which is my game mode of choice in Madden as I play it with my friends who live all across the country.

Finally, Madden 08 has all the legacy problems it still always had such as super linebackers, rocket catching, indefensible scrambling quarterbacks, and so on.

I am happy for you if you enjoy Madden 08. There is zero chance I ever touch it again, and I will never in good conscience recommend Madden 08 to anyone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2021, 04:20 PM   #26
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Best Madden and why ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I played plenty of Madden 08, I ran a 32 team custom team franchise with it on PC a long time ago. Speaking strictly to on-field football strategy in comparison to Madden 22, Madden 08 doesn’t have:

- realistic locomotion, foot planting, and player velocities for players on the field (first introduced for the ball carrier in Madden 25, expanded over time to all 22 players on the field in subsequent games, especially the PS5 and Xbox Series X games)
- RPOs (introduced in Madden 20, iirc)
- properly executed run blocking schemes such as Duo, Power, Counter, Inside Zone, Outside Zone, and Split Zone (only present in PS5 / Xbox Series X Madden games)
- anything remotely resembling proper pocket formation (refactored constantly over time, Madden 15 was the biggest leap)
- Cover 3 Match pattern match coverage (introduced in Madden 17)
- Quarters pattern match coverage (introduced in Madden 18 or Madden 19)
- run fits (introduced in Madden 17)
- audibles tied to personnel grouping (introduced in Madden 21)

There is too much actual football missing from Madden 08 for me to even consider touching it at this point.

Additionally, Madden 08 does not have a number of gameplay controls and features I now expect from a Madden game, such as (off the top of my head) receiver catching controls, ID The Mike, spy crash, robust defensive hot routes, QB contain pass rush, ball hawk, Superstar X-Factor abilities (the Madden 08 Weapons system was purely cosmetic and didn’t actually impact gameplay in any capacity). Most importantly Madden 08 does not have online Franchise, which is my game mode of choice in Madden as I play it with my friends who live all across the country.

Finally, Madden 08 has all the legacy problems it still always had such as super linebackers, rocket catching, indefensible scrambling quarterbacks, and so on.

I am happy for you if you enjoy Madden 08. There is zero chance I ever touch it again, and I will never in good conscience recommend Madden 08 to anyone.
Fair points. Honest question, you'd rather play the broken newer title with less depth than Madden 08?

CPU teams stole your successful plays in your playbook and added them to their playbooks. That feature met with college playbooks from incoming college coaches and user created plays birthed a new meta evolution for playcallers across the NFL.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:30 PM   #27
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Fair points. Honest question, you'd rather play the broken newer title with less depth than Madden 08?
Depends on what you are looking for if you can't have both and 08 didn't have both, either.

I will take gameplay ( I am able to get the results I desire with sliders) vs less depth.

Would I rather have both, yes, of course.

If the game had a ton of depth, but the game play wasn't good, I would have a difficult time purchasing the game.

PS- Game isn't broken if others can play the game.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:37 PM   #28
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Best Madden and why ?

Quote:

Given the list of features I just rattled off in my last post, I forcefully disagree that Madden 22 “has less depth” compared to Madden 08. I am not beholden to nostalgia.

I allow that bugs have hampered my enjoyment of Madden 22 specifically, it has been an extremely sloppy release. I’m actually not currently playing any Madden game. But if I were to pick one back up, it’d be Madden 22. It has the most on offer to someone who cares about on-field X’s and O’s and values playing online with and against friends. I certainly would not pick up Madden 08 because, compared to the new games, it is missing a few buckets full of important gameplay features I value.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:58 PM   #29
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Quote:
Broken is a matter of opinion. My favorite has been 21. By far my favorite and in my personal opinion the best. I have been playing Madden since 2004 and none of the maddens before M16 register as being the best to me or truthfully come close. But that is my opinion only.

Depth is a matter of opinion as well. On the field there is a lot more depth in 21/22 than anything before. Depth is both on and off the field. I personally have little interest in things like position battles and a menu dedicated to that. I get that with M21 playing the preseason and create my own story lines from it.

Every one is entitled to their opinion on which game is best and why. For a lot of games in a series, the best is the one I have the most memories with not the one people say is the best.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 12-18-2021, 05:19 PM   #30
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycorm
Broken is a matter of opinion. My favorite has been 21. By far my favorite and in my personal opinion the best. I have been playing Madden since 2004 and none of the maddens before M16 register as being the best to me or truthfully come close. But that is my opinion only.

Depth is a matter of opinion as well. On the field there is a lot more depth in 21/22 than anything before. Depth is both on and off the field. I personally have little interest in things like position battles and a menu dedicated to that. I get that with M21 playing the preseason and create my own story lines from it.

Every one is entitled to their opinion on which game is best and why. For a lot of games in a series, the best is the one I have the most memories with not the one people say is the best.
I admit the newer games have some upsides that the older ones don't, but I moderate the Madden Reddit sub and my godive never seen such a broken game. The sub is 75% bug posts, a gameplay highlight is rare. That alone says enough about the newer titles.

CPU teams stole your successful plays in your playbook and added them to their playbooks. That feature met with college playbooks from incoming college coaches and user created plays birthed a new meta evolution for playcallers across the NFL.
Old 12-18-2021, 05:34 PM   #31
Pro

Quote:
I admit the newer games have some upsides that the older ones don't, but I moderate the Madden Reddit sub and my godive never seen such a broken game. The sub is 75% bug posts, a gameplay highlight is rare. That alone says enough about the newer titles.

That says more about people liking to complain to each other online than it does anything else. I’ve been playing madden since Sega. Took a few years off and picked it back up in 19. Next gen gameplay is far and away better than the gameplay of any of the older titles.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2021, 05:36 PM   #32
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Based on my experiences with Reddit, most movies, games, music, sports teams, etc.... are mostly negative.

And Reddit isn't the only negative social media out there, either.

It all comes down basically, to each their own.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »