Home

Honest Question about Gameplanning

This is a discussion on Honest Question about Gameplanning within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-07-2021, 04:20 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Honest Question about Gameplanning

Ok guys.

Does game planning really work?

Are you guys seeing cases where if you gameplan to, say defend the deep pass, then you're absolutely helpless against the run? Or vice versa.

Or... is this a bit of a bait and switch were a feature exists purely aesthetically... just as a means to say "oh hey, we even have gameplanning" even if it doesn't do anything.

Your thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2021, 04:51 PM   #2
Pro

steelcityjames's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Honest Question about Gameplanning

Personally I think it's all just window dressing. It doesn't seem to matter at all from what I'm seeing
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennylc321
Ok guys.

Does game planning really work?

Are you guys seeing cases where if you gameplan to, say defend the deep pass, then you're absolutely helpless against the run? Or vice versa.

Or... is this a bit of a bait and switch were a feature exists purely aesthetically... just as a means to say "oh hey, we even have gameplanning" even if it doesn't do anything.

Your thoughts?
Old 12-07-2021, 06:48 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I've played a LOT of games, and in my experience, the game planning has real in-game effects.

If you play a team and game plan to defend the pass, you will absolutely see slower and less precise pursuit by the LB and DB corps, depending on what you've chosen.

If you play to defend the short pass, you will notice looser coverage animations on deeper routes, and vice versa for the other types of coverage you can choose.

A key component of the game planning feature is that you have to call plays associated with the game plan choice you made in order for the bonuses (and penalties) to take effect. Madden tags certain plays as appropriate for certain types of game plans (you'll learn which concepts are associated with which game plans over time by choosing different ones).

For example, if you choose to game plan for the deep pass and it's 3rd and long (or any other down) and they call a deep pass play (according to Madden's metadata behind for that play), you will get coverage and pass rush bonuses (or whatever the specific lingo is for that plan) on that play.

However, if you face the same situation of a CPU 3rd and long and you choose a play that's not tagged to defend the deep pass, even though you game planned for it, you will not get the specific bonuses and penalties associated with that play. You may very well still have success, but an important component in all of this is choosing the plays actually associated with your game plan.

This is how it looks to me after lots and lots of games, anyway. I'm not affiliated with the game in any way and don't know anyone personally who is, so this is all personal observation from my played games.

I hope it helps & would be glad to know more if others have different/better information.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:57 PM   #4
MVP

I can tell you that I largely neglected rush defense for the first five weeks of the season because of the legacy issue with leading the league in rush D every year. I looked up and saw I was allowing 142.6 ypg on the ground, good for #32 in the league, heh.

Does it work? I mean I think it does exactly what it says it does: you get +4MCV against short route or +2PUR etc, whatever it says it’s doing, it’s probably doing.

Your question is kinda more if +4 man coverage actually does anything. Is there a difference between a pursuit rating of 68 and 72? Yes. Is it a lot? No. Same thing with gameplanning.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:47 AM   #5
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Yes, and also account for the +1, +3 or +5 range of attribute boosts as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2021, 10:20 AM   #6
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I feel like with a lot of people because of their general feelings toward Madden and EA that if something doesn't have a obvious Tecmo Bowl like affect then people will basically decide that it doesn't work.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #7
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

It absolutely works. Great new feature.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 12-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #8
MVP

Jagsfan24's Arena

I think it works as much as the staff points to help increase certain positions on defense or offense. There's times where I see it work and times where it doesn't...and in real life that could happen. Plenty of teams in real life will have a game plan and it not work

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »