Home

User QB play - major issue with Madden/Football games?

This is a discussion on User QB play - major issue with Madden/Football games? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2021, 01:39 PM   #33
Rookie

Ragnar84's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: User QB play - major issue with Madden/Football games?

They need to give a customized camera similar to every other sports game so that you can give yourself a qb view but with tue realistic peripheral vision. Until they upgrade the camera options I don’t see many options to add realistic difficulty while playing qb.
Head/eye tracking has to matter as well for all players. Rid of the db with eyes on the back of their head.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 12-17-2021, 02:30 PM   #34
Rookie

HeatLifer's Arena

House Rules are the only way to currently get around this.

Especially without superimposing restrictions on the User.

For example, my TE is on a 20 yard in-route.

That man won't even be looking for the ball til he makes his cut inside, but in Madden if I see the LB not cover him I can just fire the ball after 3 yards and get a monster gain.

IRL that ball would hit him in the back of the head.

EA COULD put in a mechanic where you CAN'T throw the ball until the route is fully implemented, but that takes away gameplay aspects too, unless you're allowed to throw a hot pass to your hot route. Then again, it's already getting messy.

TLDR; House Rules where everyone knows the deal.
Old 12-18-2021, 09:14 AM   #35
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatLifer
House Rules are the only way to currently get around this.

Especially without superimposing restrictions on the User.

For example, my TE is on a 20 yard in-route.

That man won't even be looking for the ball til he makes his cut inside, but in Madden if I see the LB not cover him I can just fire the ball after 3 yards and get a monster gain.

IRL that ball would hit him in the back of the head.

EA COULD put in a mechanic where you CAN'T throw the ball until the route is fully implemented, but that takes away gameplay aspects too, unless you're allowed to throw a hot pass to your hot route. Then again, it's already getting messy.

TLDR; House Rules where everyone knows the deal.

IIRC they actually did have a mechanic like that - the wideout's logo wouldn't appear on screen until they were actively looking for the football and if you threw it early it was most likely to be dropped or missed.

However, they can't implement that until they give the wideouts some actual AI so they can perform sight-reads. If a tight end in your example releases and the linebackers all blitz, I want him to adjust to be ready for a hot read instead of mindlessly burning downfield for 20 yards like he is on rails.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2021, 10:38 AM   #36
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
IIRC they actually did have a mechanic like that - the wideout's logo wouldn't appear on screen until they were actively looking for the football and if you threw it early it was most likely to be dropped or missed.

However, they can't implement that until they give the wideouts some actual AI so they can perform sight-reads. If a tight end in your example releases and the linebackers all blitz, I want him to adjust to be ready for a hot read instead of mindlessly burning downfield for 20 yards like he is on rails.
Sadly we won't get this because of competitive/H2H play. The sentiment is that most C/H2H players don't want non User controlled players to actually act like real football players and be able to "diagnose" what is going on in the game.

They might make a smart play that the User doesn't expect and cause them to throw a pick because they didn't read the situation the same way, or even "worse" they might make dumb play and cause a User to throw a pick which is completely unacceptable, so they have to be essentially robots where the User acts as their intelligence via hot routes.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 12-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #37
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Sadly we won't get this because of competitive/H2H play. The sentiment is that most C/H2H players don't want non User controlled players to actually act like real football players and be able to "diagnose" what is going on in the game.

They might make a smart play that the User doesn't expect and cause them to throw a pick because they didn't read the situation the same way, or even "worse" they might make dumb play and cause a User to throw a pick which is completely unacceptable, so they have to be essentially robots where the User acts as their intelligence via hot routes.

I'm a H2H player exclusively. I don't mind the AI making decisions, I mind when the game never at any point tells me why it made those decisions or how I could have altered it. For example, I posted a while back that I only realized last year that using "Overtop" or "Underneath" overrules any match coverage principles and turns every zone play into a spot-drop. That information is not anywhere in the game that I have found, other posters said they remembered reading it in an EA blog years ago when match coverages were added. Demanding that players carefully study multiple year old blog posts to understand how the game functions in 2020 is terrible design.
Old 12-19-2021, 02:35 PM   #38
Rookie

These things are mitigated when you're able to find a way to make the game have your QB throw a realistic amount of bad passes, have the pass blocking be unpredictable and leaky, and have the receivers fail to reel in a realistic number of contested catches.

Playing Madden 25. My QB is scattershot, my receivers are almost all prototypes who can't run routes or make contested catches, and the pass protection is shaky enough that I rarely have time to predictably go through many reads, so if I'm wrong on my pre-snap read because a mediocre receiver doesn't win on the route that he should, or doesn't react appropriately to a zone, I'm frequently throwing a pick or taking a sack. And on those plays where the receiver gets open as expected, my young QB is gonna uncork a terrible pass.

I'm playing Madden 25 more as a way of seeing my NCAA14 players in the pros than team building, and as such I'm grabbing a new team with a mediocre QB every year. It's lead to the most realistic feeling gameplay I've ever had in a football game.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #39
Rookie

PunkMonk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman43
I love the vision cone no matter how hard because it was real to me but others complained that's why it's gone
This is why "optional" features should be implemented in the future. How about a setting that allows us to choose "Cone" or "Full View" or something.

I think with finer rating tweakings and some gameplay/"slider" tuning they could get better results with the current system they have in place. Throw under pressure, sense pressure, forces passes, etc are supposed to be the things that separate a Justin Fields from a Tom Brady in-game.

I wonder if some sort of QB progression-based system could be implemented. Like progression reads become available at a certain speed based upon a rating. So Brady reads at 97 = 1.2sec, Fields reads at 76 = 3.2sec. Essentially representing how long before a progression is available. It's a hell of a reach but hey lol
Old 12-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #40
Rookie

PunkMonk's Arena

What if your controller rumbled at a certain force depending on how much pressure your QB senses. Wouldnt help for m&k though:shrug:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »