Home

1st-time Commissioner Seeking Advice

This is a discussion on 1st-time Commissioner Seeking Advice within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2022, 07:33 AM   #1
Rookie

Osiris1975's Arena

OVR: 0

Hey,

I'm running an online franchise for friends and family, and it's my first time as a commissioner.

We play all-madden, 8 min quarters, custom sliders. One player routinely puts up a ton of points vs the CPU. Last game he put up 90.

This bothers me and I can't decide if he's really good or exploiting. I do know that him and others are always trying to trade for the fastest receivers and players in the game. He's putting up huge yardage numbers with his QB but like a 45% completion percentage. It feels like something is being exploited, but how can I tell, and what can be done about it? If I tweak sliders to make the CPU pass defense better it gets too hard for others. Any advice would be appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2022, 11:46 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: 1st-time Commissioner Seeking Advice

Why don’t you have everyone stream their games to YouTube. It will archive the games and you can always go back and check if you notice something suspicious.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:18 PM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris1975
Hey,

I'm running an online franchise for friends and family, and it's my first time as a commissioner.

We play all-madden, 8 min quarters, custom sliders. One player routinely puts up a ton of points vs the CPU. Last game he put up 90.

This bothers me and I can't decide if he's really good or exploiting. I do know that him and others are always trying to trade for the fastest receivers and players in the game. He's putting up huge yardage numbers with his QB but like a 45% completion percentage. It feels like something is being exploited, but how can I tell, and what can be done about it? If I tweak sliders to make the CPU pass defense better it gets too hard for others. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am willing to guess that what he’s doing is just bombing the ever loving hell out of Cover 3, one of the CPU’s staple defensive calls. Boundary cornerbacks playing deep third assignments in Cover 3 zone calls struggle mightily to stay on top of fast receivers running go routes in Madden 22.

You might be able to mitigate this by increasing CPU pass defense sliders and increasing the speed threshold slider, but that will make any underneath passing significantly more difficult, especially on All Madden.

Another thing he could be doing is rolling out of the pocket frequently, getting to the edge of the defense, and using Playmaker to create a vertical stretch against flat defenders. The edge rush in Madden 22 is incredibly weak so breaking the pocket is essentially free, and overload / fire zone blitzes typically struggle to get home because the user and CPU OL’s blitz recognition abilities are tuned way up from previous years. I have repeatedly seen one of my friends exploit All Madden CPU zone defenses with OVR 60 Sam Ehlinger doing exactly this.

Definitely ask him to stream his games to see what he’s doing. I assume he is indeed exploiting something, likely one of the two above things, but defense in Madden 22 is so schematically outdated and fundamentally flawed that you may not be able to do much about it without creating hugely negative consequences elsewhere on the field.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:38 PM   #4
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Turn on the playcall limit in the settings if you think he's just using the same cheese play. Or just use house rules. Most do that I've seen of you're looking for a true to life experience. But he may not want to play that way. Just talk to him and find out what's going on.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2022, 01:13 AM   #5
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

Lower pass blocking. Stream the games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2022, 09:39 AM   #6
Rookie

RunRunPass's Arena

OVR: 2

I ran an online league for 10 years and used to have a disciplinary code for things like this. 'Running up the score' either vs a human opponent or the cpu was not allowed.

Although I don't run the league any more, I still have the league rules, so if you're interested, I can send them to you. Not suggesting you adopt them verbatim, but there might be some ideas in there you could use.
Discord: GBDawg1 #4708
Old 01-26-2022, 08:48 AM   #7
Rookie

Osiris1975's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proff56
Why don’t you have everyone stream their games to YouTube. It will archive the games and you can always go back and check if you notice something suspicious.
Thats a good idea, I just don't know how to do that. He's my nephew, so maybe I'll just go watch him next time I'm over at their house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I am willing to guess that what he’s doing is just bombing the ever loving hell out of Cover 3, one of the CPU’s staple defensive calls. Boundary cornerbacks playing deep third assignments in Cover 3 zone calls struggle mightily to stay on top of fast receivers running go routes in Madden 22.

You might be able to mitigate this by increasing CPU pass defense sliders and increasing the speed threshold slider, but that will make any underneath passing significantly more difficult, especially on All Madden.

Another thing he could be doing is rolling out of the pocket frequently, getting to the edge of the defense, and using Playmaker to create a vertical stretch against flat defenders. The edge rush in Madden 22 is incredibly weak so breaking the pocket is essentially free, and overload / fire zone blitzes typically struggle to get home because the user and CPU OL’s blitz recognition abilities are tuned way up from previous years. I have repeatedly seen one of my friends exploit All Madden CPU zone defenses with OVR 60 Sam Ehlinger doing exactly this.

Definitely ask him to stream his games to see what he’s doing. I assume he is indeed exploiting something, likely one of the two above things, but defense in Madden 22 is so schematically outdated and fundamentally flawed that you may not be able to do much about it without creating hugely negative consequences elsewhere on the field.
Thanks, I've watched him play in the past and come to think of it, he rolls out on every pass play and throws deep. The QB stats for his team are low completion percentage, lots of TDs and yards, which makes me think that's what he's doing. If that's the case, it sounds like I'm stuck unless I want to make the short passing game too difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
Turn on the playcall limit in the settings if you think he's just using the same cheese play. Or just use house rules. Most do that I've seen of you're looking for a true to life experience. But he may not want to play that way. Just talk to him and find out what's going on.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I do want a true-life experience, and I think you're right, he just wants to stat-pad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
Lower pass blocking. Stream the games.
The problem with lowering pass blocking is I'm personally not great at evading the pass rush, and it seems like receivers sometimes take a long time to get open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunRunPass
I ran an online league for 10 years and used to have a disciplinary code for things like this. 'Running up the score' either vs a human opponent or the cpu was not allowed.

Although I don't run the league any more, I still have the league rules, so if you're interested, I can send them to you. Not suggesting you adopt them verbatim, but there might be some ideas in there you could use.
I'd love to see your league rules, it'd help to see if I'm missing anything else. I run our league democratically so we vote on most things. I'm not sure what the league will want to adopt but it'd definitely be great to see your rules.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »