Home

Madden Gameplay via Under The Hood Variables

This is a discussion on Madden Gameplay via Under The Hood Variables within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2022, 02:35 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 19
Madden Gameplay via Under The Hood Variables

Although I'm using Madden 21, the premise can/will apply to any Madden (outcomes may differ some)
- I'm using M21 because of the AI aggressiveness/behaviors displayed during gameplay.

With the ability to see some under-the-hood workings of Madden the past several years, I was curious what the gameplay experience would be like if console players ratings where edited based off this information of noted gameplay variables and thresholds.

With this information it allows a much more granular application for console gamers to tune gameplay surrounding what animations/outcomes can/will occur during player interactions.

***Some aspects of AI Logic/Game coding still can't be altered via these edits***

Console: Xbox Series X
Game Version: Madden 21
Gamertag: KickNDaPantzer

Teams edited to test creating Team/Player gameplay differences with this info:
Bears = Star WR, weak Off, good Run Def, No Pass Rush
Bengals = Star QB/RB/WR, suspect OL, Star DE/Safety
Bills = Good across all 3-phases
Broncos = Good QB, 2 good WR, weak Pass Rush, good Pass Coverage
Browns = Good QB, Star RB's, DE can't be blocked 1-on-1, weak LB's
Bucs = No QB w/Off Stars and a strong Run Defense
Chargers = Good across all 3-phases
Cardinals = ??? (Need to decide if Murray gameplay wise is overrated)
Giants = Weak team/roster w/Star RB
Lions = Very weak team/roster across the board, best player is TE

***Please provide any feedback centered around using these variables/thresholds as it relates to the gameplay behaviors/animations/outcomes they drive.

QB Related
Spoiler

Ball Carrier Related
Spoiler

Catching/Route Related
Spoiler

Blocking/Pass Rush/Run Defense Related
Spoiler

Tackling Related
Spoiler

Pass Coverage Related
Spoiler

Other Gameplay Impacts
Spoiler

Run Cycle Animations
Spoiler

***Much of this will remain the same for Madden 23
- some variables may be adjusted

Last edited by khaliib; 04-22-2022 at 06:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2022, 03:28 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Madden Gameplay via Under The Hood Variables

First and foremost, greatly appreciate the deep dive into the mechanics! Madden 21 series X/PS5 is the pinnacle of the series as far as ‘on the field’ play (franchise, not so much and I suppose is debatable lol).

To make sure I understand what’s going on here. You are requesting us to download your roster and play test with the amended ratings? This is only for ‘play now’ I’m figuring (guess it wouldn’t be feasible in franchise since all teams haven’t been altered?).

I’m definitely interested. Also curious to know if the end state to this will be similar to the NCAA global fix where we downloaded the roster files to thumb drive, transferred to PC, made global edits (off of the gentleman’s recommendation, he pretty much did exactly what you’re doing now, can’t remember his name at the moment), then transferred back to console.

Is there anything we can do to help make the previous paragraph a reality? Is there a program that’s needed, finance, etc. Just say the word.

Lastly (edit): Are you familiar with why the gameplay and A.I was regressed in 22? The optimist in me wants to say that the devs had to pull back on a few things to add the new interaction/tackle tech, then they’re planning on bringing the organic A.I and movement back from 21, and putting the “icing back on the cake” for an amazing 23 version. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by KingsoftheValley2; 04-19-2022 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Another inquiry
Old 04-19-2022, 04:10 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsoftheValley2
First and foremost, greatly appreciate the deep dive into the mechanics! Madden 21 series X/PS5 is the pinnacle of the series as far as ‘on the field’ play (franchise, not so much and I suppose is debatable lol).

To make sure I understand what’s going on here. You are requesting us to download your roster and play test with the amended ratings? This is only for ‘play now’ I’m figuring (guess it wouldn’t be feasible in franchise since all teams haven’t been altered?).

I’m definitely interested. Also curious to know if the end state to this will be similar to the NCAA global fix where we downloaded the roster files to thumb drive, transferred to PC, made global edits (off of the gentleman’s recommendation, he pretty much did exactly what you’re doing now, can’t remember his name at the moment), then transferred back to console.

Is there anything we can do to help make the previous paragraph a reality? Is there a program that’s needed, finance, etc. Just say the word.

Lastly (edit): Are you familiar with why the gameplay and A.I was regressed in 22? The optimist in me wants to say that the devs had to pull back on a few things to add the new interaction/tackle tech, then they’re planning on bringing the organic A.I and movement back from 21, and putting the “icing back on the cake” for an amazing 23 version. Fingers crossed!
I just did a couple of teams so others (Xbox Consoles) can quickly try and see what gameplay differences they may notice, if any (not all see things the same)

I didn't take up doing it to M22 just because of time sake and I prefer M21.

I wanted more knockouts on contact since they nerfed it and noticed that the Catch rating impacts the Knockout Penalty, so curiosity led to editing Catch ratings according to the under-the-hood variables.

I liked how things played out and having the ability to control this aspect, which led to the snowball affect of other areas.

Your tackling notation is correctable (see Tackling Related)
- they weigh Tackle Animation triggering very heavy over Break Tackle Chance

Lots more gang-tackling triggering using these % reduction levels
- you now know how to tailor this aspect to your liking, based off their internal settings.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:46 PM   #4
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

That 10% speed decline for targeted passing seems pretty meaningful to me. Whenever I would throw a Go route, I would always push up figuring it was better to miss long. But if that was causing my guy to slow up and allow for a breakup then this changes the game IMO.
Old 04-22-2022, 01:45 PM   #5
MVP

Interesting little self observed notation.

AWR for QB's (65-75) = Sweet Spot

- <65 AWR, their in-pocket vision becomes too small, Threat & Progression speed becomes too slow, leading to increased sacks

- >75 AWR, their in-pocket vision becomes too big, over exaggerating their QB Traits
*** esp passing, lots more cross-body throw attempts when in Scramble Mode towards LOS & with open field to run

*** >80 AWR under-the-hood is the min for "overly" triggering the Throw Away Logic at the breach of QB's noted Pressure Trait radius

*** >79 also seems to trigger increased backwards avoidance vs stepping up, leading to more sacks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2022, 04:30 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Interesting little self observed notation.

AWR for QB's (65-75) = Sweet Spot

- <65 AWR, their in-pocket vision becomes too small, Threat & Progression speed becomes too slow, leading to increased sacks

- >75 AWR, their in-pocket vision becomes too big, over exaggerating their QB Traits
*** esp passing, lots more cross-body throw attempts when in Scramble Mode towards LOS & with open field to run

*** >80 AWR under-the-hood is the min for "overly" triggering the Throw Away Logic at the breach of QB's noted Pressure Trait radius

*** >79 also seems to trigger increased backwards avoidance vs stepping up, leading to more sacks
This is all great and extremely useful information man. The issue, however, is how can the average Madden player get these edits? All teams, free agents, and draft classes will need to be edited for a cohesive experience. Is there a PC program we can use to transfer and edit these console files globally? It’s been done before, let’s pinpoint who’s the expert on this and see what needs to be done. Someone on this website is familiar with the process.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:25 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsoftheValley2
This is all great and extremely useful information man. The issue, however, is how can the average Madden player get these edits? All teams, free agents, and draft classes will need to be edited for a cohesive experience. Is there a PC program we can use to transfer and edit these console files globally? It’s been done before, let’s pinpoint who’s the expert on this and see what needs to be done. Someone on this website is familiar with the process.
As JoshC once noted, you have to take ownership for your own Franchise experience, which means sometimes rolling up yours sleeves and utilizing the available tools in our current possession.

There's is NO PC Editor/Tool (esp NG) everything is done on the console.

Beyond the editing, it helps to know the "why" something may be occurring during gameplay, helping minimize affixing the "Broken" assertion typically thrown around.

Although it's some work, being able to control/improve an gameplay aspect via editing is sufficient for me at this point (until a Global Editor mechanism is provided)

Last edited by khaliib; 04-22-2022 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:52 PM   #8
MVP

Update:
Run Cycle info added that impacts Speed Rushers

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »