Home

Tips or workarounds for bad draft logic

This is a discussion on Tips or workarounds for bad draft logic within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2022, 05:26 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Tips or workarounds for bad draft logic

Hello guys,

first of all excuse my bad english.

At this point of the Madden 22 cycle i think the gameplay and the franchise additions are good enough for me to play Madden 22 until Madden 23 is on sale somewhat around christmas. But i have one big gripe about Maddens franchise which is the CPU draft logic - especially the QBs getting drafted in the first round by teams like the Bills, Cardinals, Ravens, etc which allready have a futere HOF-QB under contract.

Do you have workarounds or bandaids to cope with this big immersion-killer? I dont wanna do a 32-user-controlled draft for every team because this seems like a bunch of work.

Thanks in advance for your help
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2022, 07:42 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Tips or workarounds for bad draft logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn2112
Hello guys,

first of all excuse my bad english.

At this point of the Madden 22 cycle i think the gameplay and the franchise additions are good enough for me to play Madden 22 until Madden 23 is on sale somewhat around christmas. But i have one big gripe about Maddens franchise which is the CPU draft logic - especially the QBs getting drafted in the first round by teams like the Bills, Cardinals, Ravens, etc which allready have a futere HOF-QB under contract.

Do you have workarounds or bandaids to cope with this big immersion-killer? I dont wanna do a 32-user-controlled draft for every team because this seems like a bunch of work.

Thanks in advance for your help

If it’s an offline franchise after mock draft 4 take control of the franchises taking QBs abs force trades.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-10-2022, 08:21 PM   #3
Pro

GoJags904's Arena

You can also edit the draft class and move qbs up or down the list in rd 1 to help as well. It's quicker than taking over control and the back n forth.

After mock 4, like said above, just see what the picks are and adjust draft rankings. After rd 1 tho, it's out of your control besides editing players individually from manage roster.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

NFL --- JAX JAGUARS (DUUUUVAAAL)
MLB --- BOSTON RED SOX
NBA --- LAKERS4LIFE
NCAAF --- GATOR NATION (UF)
NCAAB --- DUKE BLUE DEVILS
MLS --- DC UNITED
BARCLAYS PL --- CHELSEA

MUSIC/ARTIST ALIAS --- SHIESTY SLIM
"CRAY CRAY" available on ITUNES, GOOGLE PLAY, AMAZON
Old 05-11-2022, 12:27 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Another tool in the toolkit is to give a temporary boost to the QBs that you don't think should be drafted over. The CPU is really looking at OVRs, and if you think X player should be given a chance to start another year, you can just edit up his AWR and maybe the ACC categories (noting original values) so the CPU no longer perceives a deficit in that area.

Once the draft is done, you can go back in and re-edit these QBs to have their previous ratings.

This seems like a pretty easy approach in terms of time investment, and the payoff seems worth it, as the 1 thing that kills this game in franchise more than anything else is teams repeatedly drafting over QBs that should be allowed to start, thereby stunting the growth of worthy players and kneecapping these teams by preventing them from drafting key talent at other positions of actual need.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-11-2022, 01:29 PM   #5
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueHominid
Another tool in the toolkit is to give a temporary boost to the QBs that you don't think should be drafted over. The CPU is really looking at OVRs, and if you think X player should be given a chance to start another year, you can just edit up his AWR and maybe the ACC categories (noting original values) so the CPU no longer perceives a deficit in that area.

Once the draft is done, you can go back in and re-edit these QBs to have their previous ratings.

This seems like a pretty easy approach in terms of time investment, and the payoff seems worth it, as the 1 thing that kills this game in franchise more than anything else is teams repeatedly drafting over QBs that should be allowed to start, thereby stunting the growth of worthy players and kneecapping these teams by preventing them from drafting key talent at other positions of actual need.

Hope that helps!
Good tip here, I like this....

How high up do you take their OVR to ensure they are "safe"?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2022, 01:44 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Good tip here, I like this....

How high up do you take their OVR to ensure they are "safe"?
What I'd do just as a failsafe is move AWR and all ACC numbers to 99, which should jack them up considerably, and then move them back down after the draft.

I say that because I do not know what the under-the-hood logic is, which must certainly have a set of cutoffs that involve OVR (probably weighted the highest), DEV, and age. So to be safe, making the guy so good that drafting over him would be insane seems like the move to me.

Doing this just before the draft should not affect any contract logic, since there are no extensions being offered in that window, and it should, in theory, prevent a redundant draft pick at QB, though I have admittedly not used this strategy in real time, so it would need to be tested and confirmed before being implemented in a keeper franchise.

I do think I'll adopt this strategy in my own franchise, as I think it makes the first round much more competitive for the user team if I can't count on the CPU wasting really high picks on guys who won't play.

One thing I like about this approach is that user can decide dynamically based on storylines which QBs seem like they should get a proper shot, and which could "realistically" be drafted over by certain regimes.

I don't really want to do all the stuff that full 30TC requires, but this area seems worth the investment. One of my buddies has a YR5 franchise in which the Lions took a QB with a top pick 3 years in a row, and all 3 were within just a couple OVR points of each other, I think with multiple high DEV traits in the mix, so anything to avoid that, lol.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:37 PM   #7
Rookie

Thank you guys for the tips and tricks so far, really appreciated.

The idea with the editing of the OVR of some QBs sounds good in theory but i dont think it will help when the CPU is picking in the top 5 of the draft because in some simulations the Bills and the Chiefs took QBs though they have Josh Allen and Mahomes (99 OVR if i am not mistaken) under big contracts. In conclusion the draft logic may be bugged especially for draft picks in the top 5 region because it seems that the teams just pick best player available at this point. Just my 2 cents.

I figured out a system in which i look at Mock Draft #5 (because this is kind of a prediction of the upfollowing draft) and take notes of draft picks (especially QBs) that dont seem to make sense at all. After that i look for teams that may be searching for a potential franchise QB (or a young QB prospect to sit behind their aging QB like Brady at the Bucs) and put those teams in an online spinning wheel which then decides which team will make a trade up for this QB (swapping picks by taking over that team, which would otherwise take the QB in the first place). Its a bit of work and preparation for the draft every year but hopefully will help keeping the franchise experience balanced and more realistic.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:16 PM   #8
Pro

The funny thing is that every other year, the Madden's "New Features" include "improved AI logic in draft decisions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »