Home

Why I love Coach Mode. An in depth mini essay.

This is a discussion on Why I love Coach Mode. An in depth mini essay. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2021, 07:34 PM   #1
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

OVR: 0
Why I love Coach Mode. An in depth mini essay.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Madden/comm...m_source=share

First let me give you some background information about myself.

I've played Madden my entire life, never really a gamer but always played Madden. Even though I'm only 22, I feel like I've played the game too much to really enjoy it anymore.

Now I only see it's glaring flaws. For example, drag routes are always open, wide receivers just let DBs intercept passes, there's no way to drop a pass "into a bucket", and easily completed passes IRL are bull**** interceptions in Madden.

All-Pro is the hardest difficulty that doesn't cheat you with bull**** scripting AI, and it's way too easy. Alex Smith and the Chiefs shouldn't be able to pass every play and win with over 500 yards of offense.

Simply put, there's no defensive AI that could realistically mirror a human minded opponent.

WHY I PREFER COACHING MODE

PLAY CALLING

Alright, now let's get down to it.

First of all, play calling doesn't matter in Madden. At least not in the sense it should. Players can pick almost any passing play in the game and gain 15+ yards regardless of the routes.

I shouldn't be able to gain 25 yards on a quick slant route with no yards after the catch.

Because we're human players, whether we realize it or not, we cheat the system. It's not our fault though, because we aren't entirely sure what the system even is, we just know how to beat it.

The AI on the other hand, know the system in it's entirety and won't cheese because it doesn't know how.

Meaning, the AI won't miss a quick slant window between the OLB and the CB, roll to opposite side of the field and hit the slant that's now 15 yards deep and replicating the position of a corner route.

This makes play calling a critical aspect of the game. If it's 3rd and 15, you better call a play with multiple deep routes, or find a way to get someone underneath the coverage with blockers ahead.

Using this "anti cheat" method or mode makes reading defenses all that much more important. If it's 3rd and 15, you can bet their playing either a cover 3, cover 4, or cover 6, making the deep windows for your QB that much more difficult to exploit.

ATTRIBUTES

Due to the fact you're not using the players, you can't use all the human minded juke type moves you regularly would. No spin move, juke, snake running game breaking methods.

So if you've got a player with bad agility, he'll hurt your team because you can't cheese him to greatness. This also making drafting much more important.

Bottom line, your players ability, not your own, matter so much more.

A MORE CHALLENGING, FOOTBALL CHESS MATCH

Playing the game within the system it was built upon, makes the reality of the game set in. This mode is how the developers made the game, though I doubt EA intended to make a realistic football game, having AI vs AI is a much more accurate "simulation" football game.

The game opens up entirely new doors that you've never considered before. For example, play calling tendencies are a huge factor.

If you run the ball on 1st and 10, 3 times in a row, the defense will pick up on that and so on and so forth.

MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERICENCES

Personally, Madden Coach Mode simply isn't good enough for me to fully enjoy it.

This is because:

Franchise mode sucks.

The on field AI isn't quite up to par.

Glitches.

The game wasn't made with AI vs AI in mind.

I've upgraded to the NFL Head Coach games.

Most people play 09 because they like all the depth and features it has too offer, and I agree, it's a great GM type of game.

But I prefer NFL Head Coach 06 because it's and actual coaching game. You run practices, have staff meetings and all that. Here's a 10 min documentary of the game.

CPU teams stole your successful plays in your playbook and added them to their playbooks. That feature met with college playbooks from incoming college coaches and user created plays birthed a new meta evolution for playcallers across the NFL.

Last edited by TheButter; 09-18-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2021, 08:10 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Why I love Coach Mode. An in depth mini essay.

EA could "simply" take the two HC games and make that franchise and the franchise crowd would be quiet, but their vision these days is the complete opposite of what those games were. They want quick, pick up and play. HC 06 or 09 were not that.

I don't get why they don't give that depth while giving options to streamline the experience.

The games are only played on Sunday, but they're usually won during the other 6 days of the week. Madden does not replicate that at all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 02-18-2021, 08:42 PM   #3
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

I think it's because they'd half their madden money by making another title. And they won't add it to franchise mode, even as an optional feature just because average franchise players don't want all the depth.

It's already a half *** HC06 though. 1 practice, and a coach in his office instead of 5 day practices, staff meetings, and gameplan meetings.

What really surprised me was how they just removed coach mode. Now it's only auto pass and the user has to play defense.

CPU teams stole your successful plays in your playbook and added them to their playbooks. That feature met with college playbooks from incoming college coaches and user created plays birthed a new meta evolution for playcallers across the NFL.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:48 AM   #4
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
EA could "simply" take the two HC games and make that franchise and the franchise crowd would be quiet, but their vision these days is the complete opposite of what those games were. They want quick, pick up and play. HC 06 or 09 were not that.

I don't get why they don't give that depth while giving options to streamline the experience.

The games are only played on Sunday, but they're usually won during the other 6 days of the week. Madden does not replicate that at all.
It SHOCKS me how limited EAs visions is.

I understand they want a 'quick game' version. That is, by far, the core of what their audience will be.

But why would you stop there?? A GAME company? America has proven they have a massive appetite for gaming. Over the course of decades. EA has had a front row seat. And America has equally proven they have a massive appetite for the NFL. Again, proven, over decades!

And yet, you're going to settle for 1 game mode?????????

I struggle to find words for this, at this point of time.

Have a Madden Arcade mode! Live it! Love it!

Why not make a standalone head coach game?
A standalone franchise game
Make MUT a standalone with even more features

Is it really that hard to strip the layers away piece by piece? Why on earth would you box yourselves in this way? Look at The Sims.. didn't have a problem bundling the cr@p out of that!

I just don't get it.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:20 PM   #5
Just started!

RenoKeene's Arena

Can someone please tell me how to turn off the 'rush moves' banner that appears above the D-line in franchise coach mode. It's useless in coach mode and very distractive.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2021, 08:15 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene
Can someone please tell me how to turn off the 'rush moves' banner that appears above the D-line in franchise coach mode. It's useless in coach mode and very distractive.

Agree and unfortunately there is no way to turn it off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Warriors
Sharks
Old 02-24-2021, 01:03 PM   #7
Just started!

RenoKeene's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamikb2001
Agree and unfortunately there is no way to turn it off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Back to the old college game.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #8
Rookie

lowndsy's Arena

OVR: 2

I have only ever wanted Head coach with Madden graphics...heaven

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »